Another question....

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

molecularblonde
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Another question....

Post by molecularblonde » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Hello-
Being new to the board (and to hair loss) would someone just give their twoe cents about this?

I had an eating disroder and a major surgery last year. When my hair began to fall out I noticed a concommitant irritation of my scalp such that when I began to get my hair colored it would sort of sting. It didn't happen the first several times after my surgery, but like the fourth time. Now my hairdresser has to carefully paint my base color on my hair without touching my scalp because it burns so much.
Does anoyone support the claim that getting your hair highlighted or dying your base color with color containing bleach can lead to lhair loss? I've been with the same hairdresser for nine years, and *never* had a problem. But now when she colors my hair she cannot put it on my scalp because it burns like crazy. Years ago I was dx with scalp psoriosis, but it never affected my hair except soemtime under stress it would itch and I'd get some scaley patches. But it never interfered with dying.

I know this forum isn't made to diagnose problems. But soemtimes I wonder if it's not my past eating disorder or surgery that's causing my hair to fall out but sometype of scalp irritation? I have this Clobex shampoo from my dermatologist. I have an appointment with her next week and she wants me to use it until then. I wish it would stop falling out. I was happy when it stopped falling out in December/January. But now, in June it's shedding like crazy. I got it dyed this past Saturday and my scalp was sore even though she didn't put the color on my scalp. She put a toner on, but it desonn't have any bleach, but even that made my scalp sore. Maybe my hormones are out of whack and It's making my scalp senstive? Maybe I have a scalp disease? Ugh, I don't know. But gosh I miss my thick ponytail.
THanks-
MB

KC
Occasional Poster

Scalp Irritation

Post by KC » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:45 am

Are there any other symptoms? Is it just red and irritated? I have been a hair dresser for 24 years and for the last 3 been involved in hair restoration through scalp health.
Often times surgery or a traumatic event can trigger hair loss. Have you tried any immune health supplements? I was just wondering if there were any other problems going on with your scalp such as: bumps, flakey scalp, itchy scalp. Is it an eczema like irritation? Is there oozing of the skin? More information please.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

kc

Post by molecularblonde » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi-
My scalp itches but only next to my neck. It itches there and it is a bit flakey. I always have scaley areas there. The top of my head is okay, dry but "sensitive".

KC
Occasional Poster

Post by KC » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:04 am

MB
Has a Dr. or Dermatologist looked at it yet? If it is eczema or psoriasis, follicilitis, or a fungus of the scalp, it can be treated. Most of those conditons are a fungus or infection of the skin. When treated with anti baterial, fungal and microbial products, build-up is eventually removed and the skin is able to heal.

If you look up any of those is the medical dictionary, they have several things in common. Excessive production or hyper production of skin cells, which when yellow in appearance, are signs of excess sebum, inflamation, itch, flakey scalp. All perfect conditions for demodex infestation. Even if it'snot related to the mite, it's been my experience that these types of condtions get much better and often go away with bi-annual treatments. Please Feel free to contact me through the website.

James

Post by James » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm

molecularblonde- keep us update with what happens at your next derm appointment.

It may just be you have developed a scalp disorder, who knows.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

KC/James

Post by molecularblonde » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies-

KC, I have seen 3 dermatologists. All 3 think I have TE. I'm seeing the third one for a third time on the 17th of this month.

Today my scalp is sore. As usualy my hair is back in a ponytail. When I showered thismonring I counted 65 hairs in the sink. It was terrifying. My husband (who is a doc) looked at my scalp and doesn't see any obvious inflammation. I used my clobex shampoo this morning.

I so much want to go to the gym tomorrow morning, but I'm scared thagt if I put my hair into a ponytail again it will fall out even more.

Also, I did a search online for "Weelbutrin" and hair loss. It seems that Wellbutrin can cause hair loss. In fact, if you google it, you'll see a great many women complain of hair loss while they were on wellbutrin. I told this to my psychiatrist who told met o get off of it right away.

God I hope this ends soon. I went to look at new car today (mine died) and I was so scared to look at the salemans in the eye. I was just terrified. Please don't look at my scalp. Please don't!!!!

Upon inspection, none of the dermatolgists thought I had any type of fungal infection or anything of that nature. Even so, the last doc game me the Clobex shampoo to get rid of any inflammation.

I'm eating very healthy. Trying to smile though the tears. I laughed when I saw a piece of my hair on my dog. Now that's funny!

:-)
MB