PDT hair "removal" technique in trials

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

PDT hair "removal" technique in trials

Post by Tricia » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:24 am

I know this is about removing hair, but it looks interesting and might be better than existing laser hair removal techniques already out there. I did see one dermatologist about the wheat field growing on my face and she said that since the hair was so fine and blonde, she couldn't treat it.
Quest Pharmatech INC. Announces Positive Phase I Clinical Trial Results For Cosmetic Hair Removal Application

EDMONTON, June 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - Quest PharmaTech Inc. ("Quest" or "the Company") is pleased to announce that the Phase I clinical trial results from its lead product candidate, SL017 Topical Gel, demonstrated the presence of the drug at hair follicles as detected by quantitative fluorescence microscopy. SL017 fluorescence was detected as early as 30 minutes after application of the gel and the maximum intensity was seen at 60 minutes. Follicular localization of the photosensitizer suggests that photodynamic therapy (PDT) with SL017 has potential for cosmetic hair removal.

The Phase I clinical trial was designed to study the uptake of the photosensitizer in hair follicles, sebaceous glands and the epidermis after topical administration to the back of 10 patients with acne. It was also designed to evaluate the safety of the product after such application. The application of SL017 for up to 2 hours under occlusion did not generate any adverse drug reaction in the patients and the drug showed satisfactory safety profile. Comparatively low levels of SL017 fluorescence were observed at the epidermis indicating that PDT with SL017 should not damage the epidermis, a major limitation of other topical PDT agents.

"Current light based therapies for hair removal can only permanently destroy 70 to 90% of hairs in limited patient populations. The use of SL017 PDT for hair removal has the potential to treat a broader patient base with improved efficacy", commented Dr. Robert Bissonnette, M.D., President of Innovaderm Research and Principal Investigator for the current clinical trial. The Company intends to initiate a 40 patient clinical trial, as soon as possible, to determine the appropriate light dose to be used with SL017 for cosmetic ha ir removal applications.

The utility of SL017 for the treatment of acne could not be determined at this point as SL017 fluorescence was not observed in sebaceous glands. Skin preparation methods may be needed to induce localization of SL017 in sebaceous glands. Additional studies are underway to determine the optimal conditions needed to use SL017 for the treatment of acne. Quest believes that the absence of SL017 fluorescence in sebaceous glands combined with the strong presence of SL017 in hair follicles and low levels in the epidermis makes the current formulation of SL017 Topical Gel suitable for cosmetic hair removal applications.

SL017 Topical Gel is currently also undergoing a Phase I clinical trial for the treatment of Actinic Keratosis. The Company is pleased to announce that it has received approval from Health Canada to include women of non-child bearing age in this clinical trial. The Company anticipates that the inclusion of women will accelerate the completion of the trial. The Company has already recruited 8 male patients for this trial and needs only 4 more of either gender to complete.

Worldwide, about $3 billion is spent each year on permanent hair removal. Traditional hair removal treatments included shaving, plucking, waxing, chemical depilatories and electrolysis. None of these methods are ideal as the efficacy is limited, the treatment may be painful and tedious, and there are risks of adverse effects such as skin irritation, infection, allergic reaction, irritant eczema and scarring. Current laser and intense pulsed light hair removal treatment generally works best for light-skinned individuals with dark hair, but are not as effective for patients with unpigmented (gray) hairs and red or blonde hair, or on darker skin tones or tanned skin. In addition, laser or light based therapies for hair removal can only permanently destroy 70-90% of hair. Photodynamic therapy with SL017 could eventually be used in patients with white or blond hair or in patients with smaller hair at the end of a 4-8 series of laser or intense pulsed light hair removal treatments. PDT with SL017 works by targeting the photosensitizer to the hair follicle's regenerative structures while sparing the surrounding tissues.

About Quest PharmaTech Inc.

The Corporation is a publicly traded , Alberta-based pharmaceutical company committed to the development and commercialization of new pharmaceutical products. It is developing a series of products for the treatment of cancer and dermatological conditions based on its unique photodynamic and sonodynamic therapy platform.

Except for historical information, this press release may contain forward- looking statements, which reflect the Company's current expectation regarding future events. These forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainties, which may cause but are not limited to, changing market conditions, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the establishment of corporate alliances, the impact of competitive products and pricing, new product development, uncertainties related to the regulatory approval process and other risks detailed from time to time in the Company's ongoing quarterly and annual reporting.

"TSX Venture Exchange has neither approved nor disapproved of the

information contained herein."

Quest PharmaTech Inc.
CONTACT: Dr. Madi R. Madiyalakan, Executive Chairman, Tel.: (780) 448-1400(Ext. 204), madi@questpharmatech.com, Web site: http://www.questpharmatech.com
[/quote]
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

James

Post by James » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 am

This is cool. I meet more and more people who really worry about being excessively hairy.

I myself am extremely wary of any hair removal substance. I see them as the enemy. :lol:

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:20 am

Yeah, I know what you mean about the hair removal thing. I would prefer scalp hair growth over body hair removal. I mean, waxing works good enough for me (even if it is painful :shock: )
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

James

Post by James » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:38 pm

You see what would happen is that I would be apply it to my body and then I would accidently smear some on my head. Wow, that would be awful.

A close relative of mine gets that laser hair removal and he says that it is really, really painful.

I am gonna stay away from that stuff. I might use that body hair for a body hair transplant later down the road.