Serum ferritin tests

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Serum ferritin tests

Post by Tricia » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:06 am

I found a lab in my area that will test my serum ferritin without doctor's orders. To go there and do it without a doctor's referral will only cost me a little more than it would if I went to the doctor and had him write me a referral.

With all of the buzz about serum ferritin levels and female hair loss, I guess I will get mine checked. I had it checked once in the past and the doctor said it was low enough to cause hair loss. She stopped taking my insurance and no other doctor I've seen has been willing to order a serum ferritin test for me.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

Tricia

Post by molecularblonde » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Wow, this is up my alley-

Of the three dermatoligsts I've seen to date, only one was smart enough to bring up serum ferritin levels. He thought since I lost so much blood during my surgery (they couldn't get me to stop bleeding hence my surgery was likke 5.5 hours) that my ferrtin levels dipped. By the time I saw him, it was months later, but my level was quite low, at the very bottom of the range. So my doctor specualted that post surgery it was perhaps almost non-exsistant. For this reason I take iron supplements. I had my levels checked again and they are much higher now. I have all this info in my "health" folder. Also, there are many articles in the litterature regarding hair loss and serum ferritin levels.

But by now I should be no longer shedding my hair, as I've been taking my supplement.

MB

James

Post by James » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:27 pm

Tricia, did you ever get ferritin levels tested?

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

Tricia

Post by molecularblonde » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:49 pm

please let me know if/when you are able tp get you serum ferritin levels checked-
MB