Minoxidil Vs Saw Palmeto??

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

JessyS
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Minoxidil Vs Saw Palmeto??

Post by JessyS » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 am

Hi guys

I'm currently using minoxidil for my hair loss (female pattern). It gives me a bit of itchyness and soreness and I just wanted to see what your opinions are on switching to solely using a hair supplement with saw palmeto. What do you think, will it be as effective? Is using minoxidil worth the itching - the side effects aren't that bad, I mean, I've heard of worse but will saw palmeto be beneficial enough to come off minoxidil?

I'll probably start using the supplement anyway alongside the minoxidil.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Minoxidil Vs Saw Palmeto??

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:53 am

JessyS wrote:Hi guys

I'm currently using minoxidil for my hair loss (female pattern). It gives me a bit of itchyness and soreness and I just wanted to see what your opinions are on switching to solely using a hair supplement with saw palmeto. What do you think, will it be as effective? Is using minoxidil worth the itching - the side effects aren't that bad, I mean, I've heard of worse but will saw palmeto be beneficial enough to come off minoxidil?

I'll probably start using the supplement anyway alongside the minoxidil.

Anyway thanks for the advice.
Hi JessyS,

I personally used minoxidil for years, and found it to be quite effective for me, except that over the years I started to develop a sensitivity to it. I had the itchyness and the soreness, and eventually this led to significant inflammation. So I would say you should try using it less often It's not necessary that you have to use it twice a day, or even every day. That's what is recommended because that is frequency used during the F.D.A approval process. Try using it perhaps once every other day and see if that helps prevent the itching and soreness. In my opinion, it's not worth using a product if the side-effects for you outweigh the benefits.

As for using saw palmetto, it may be effective for you, but also maybe not. Have you looked into Revivogen?

Cheers,
Sam

JessyS
Occasional Poster

Post by JessyS » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:37 pm

I've already been advised to reduce my dose to once a day which helped at first but it's started to come back again. I could try to reduce it again but think it'll get to the point where I'm applying practically nothing!

I'm going to give Saw Palmeto a go and also look into that Revivogen. Do you use Revivogen? How has it worked.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:43 pm

Jessy,

I got quite a bit of scalp irritation when I first started using minoxidil. I started buying minoxidil without proplyene glycol from Dr. Lee (PPG-free minoxidil 5%). My scalp irritation went away after that. If it wasn't for the PPG-free version, I don't think I could have coninued to use minoxidil.

I'm skeptical that saw palmetto would do any good. It's suppose to inhibit DHT. I really don't know how much DHT factors into female hair loss, even though I am taking finasteride on the chance that it will help me.

If I were you, I would not stop minoxidil.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:36 pm

JessyS, Revivogen is a topical that addresses hair loss using natural ingredients that have been shown to have either growth stimulating properties or anti-androgenic and anti-DHT properties.

You can read about it in this interview I did with Dr. Khadavi, it's creator:

http://www.morphollica.com/interviews/khadavi1.php

And another interview I did with him a year later:

http://www.morphollica.com/interviews/k ... ctober.php

Regards,
Sam

JessyS
Occasional Poster

Post by JessyS » Wed May 03, 2006 2:52 am

I already use MPG (Medroxyprogesterone) which I think is a similar thing. Would you still advise me trying Revivogen?

James

Post by James » Wed May 03, 2006 5:10 pm

In my opinion, if something is irritating your scalp, then you should not use it. I would go to http://www.minoxidil.com and get some of Dr. Lee's PG free PG free minox. I believe that there are some other places to get PG free minoxidil on the web but I am not sure of the web addresses.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed May 03, 2006 5:35 pm

I think Revivogen is a good product from my own experience with it. You may want to give it a try to see how you respond to it.

sherrybalesteros
Occasional Poster

Post by sherrybalesteros » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:24 am

HairLossFight.com wrote:JessyS, Revivogen is a topical that addresses hair loss using natural ingredients that have been shown to have either growth stimulating properties or anti-androgenic and anti-DHT properties.

You can read about it in this interview I did with Dr. Khadavi, it's creator:

http://www.morphollica.com/interviews/khadavi1.php

And another interview I did with him a year later:

http://www.morphollica.com/interviews/k ... ctober.php

Regards,

Sam
Thanks for the links Sam!

Heath
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Ketoconazole 2% Biotin Supplements, LLLT, Regenepure DR shampoo, tretanion/minox mix

Post by Heath » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 am

Hey Jessys You may want to check out = I just found them the other day. They list all of the ingrediends and benefits on their site. Has saw palmetto and some other conditioning ingredients that will probably help irritation of the scalp.

sherrybalesteros
Occasional Poster

Post by sherrybalesteros » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 pm

I highly recommend using Minoxidil though but please consult your physician first before trying any product that you'll intake.