AGA hair loss increases risk of heart desease in women

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

AGA hair loss increases risk of heart desease in women

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:52 pm

I hate to break this news, but just as in men, it would appear that androgenetic alopecia is correlated with increased risk of heart disease in women:
From PubMed:

Androgenetic alopecia and coronary artery disease in women.

Mansouri P, Mortazavi M, Eslami M, Mazinani M.

Department of Dermatology,Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran. mortazavir@yahoo.com

The meaningful association of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) and coronary artery disease (CAD) in men has been documented, but few studies, if any, have focused on this association in women. This study was carried out on 106 women under the age 55, who completed angiography procedures for diagnosis of coronary artery disease. The aim of study was to assess the relationship between androgenetic alopecia and coronary heart disease in women. The clinical and paraclinical information was obtained by personal interview, physical examination, and review of patients' files. Androgenetic alopecia in the patients was assessed blindly by a dermatologist, using Ludwig's baldness grading system (I to III). According to the angiographic studies, 51 cases had CAD and 55 subjects did not. On the other hand, 21 patients had female AGA (Grade I, 15; Grade II, 3; Grade III, 3 cases). The correlation of AGA and CAD, AGA and previous history of myocardial infarction, and graying of hair and CAD were statistically significant (p < 0.05), after adjustment of data for differences in age. These data support the hypothesis that female AGA, like male pattern baldness, is associated with CAD in women under the age 55.

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:44 am

They didn't mention how this compares to the general population. Also, they didn't mention if the women were of normal weight or not.

Heart disease is very common (sadly).
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:44 am

Maybe the full article touches on these points; however, if the 106 women in the study constitute a random sample of the general population, then that should suffice to validate the findings of the study.

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:04 am

I misread that. I thought they only looked at women with AGA.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron