Hair Shedding Fear

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

kpritchett
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Hair Shedding Fear

Post by kpritchett » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:49 am

Hi I am new and need information on Hair shedding. I have been shedding hair now for about 3 months and my hair was thin before this started and now I am down to the bare strands. I go from not worrying to feeling the stress of public anxiety.

To start off: I am a 40-year-old African American woman who treats my hair with perms every 6-8 weeks. I am at the point now that I fear any additional treatments. When it first started, I we to a Tricologist and he recommended a $500 European Treatment and conditioning treatments every two weeks. I am not rich but I will invest in getting my hair to stop shedding. I have been taking Hair vitamins for about 4-5 months and I don't feel like it is helping.

I am looking for online groups that maybe can give me ideas before I invest any additional money into things that don't work. I ordered a book on ebay today "Hair Loss No More". Have anyone heard about the book and is it helpful. I only paid $10 but over time this adds up.

I have an appointment to see a Dermatologist in January and now I am just looking for suggestions and chat room about products before I mortgage my home. Also I have been invited to the Men Hair Club for Women and I my research have found that they charge over $1000 for 6 months of treatments (once a month) and products. Any suggestions about this?

Thanks and Help! :cry:

KP

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi KP,

The dermatologist should be able to tell you if your hair loss is genetic or due to chemical damage. If you can hold off from getting your hair processed again until you see the doctor, that might be a good idea.

As far as treatments go, if your condition is genetic, then they will recommend minoxidil. You can get generic versions of it. I can't say that I'm super impressed with minoxidil, but it does help me some.

I would stay away from expensive treatments from hair clubs and spas. Just stick to what the dermatologist says.

If you want to find a good cosmetic enhancement, I can give the you the URL for a women's wig support group. There are tons of cosmetic options available for women who are looking to supplement their hair. It's not just wigs and you don't need to join a hair club. If you want the address for that group, send me a PM and I'll give you the link.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron