Any women use Propecia, Proscar, or Avodart?

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Any women use Propecia, Proscar, or Avodart?

Post by Tricia » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:29 am

If any woman has experience using one of these drugs, please post your story here (whether you had a positive outcome, or not).

I know that some doctors will prescribe these drugs to females, but most will not.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:37 am

I started Propecia when I first made this post. So, it has been a month since I've been using it. I haven't noticed any side effects from the drug. My shed seems to have slowed down, but it's too difficult to judge sheds. I usually tell people to not pay attention to sheds because you can't really learn anything from them by your own evaluation.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

familyguy
Regular Poster

Post by familyguy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:39 am

I am curious about this topic because my mother also suffers from hair loss (now I know who to thank for my own :x ). Its not terrible but noticable and I'm sure more bothersome for her than it is for me. I would like to give her advice on what sort of treatment to use and though I have had great results with propecia I was told by my doctor it was not a beneficial drug for women. This of course was several years ago and things probably changed. Is there evidence now that suggests differently? Should she look into taking propecia? She currently uses minoxodil.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 am

There are no FDA trials that support the use of Propecia by women. I have heard on the net that some doctors will prescribe it and that it helps a percentage of female patients. Most doctors won't even consider prescribing it for females.

On female hair loss websites though, I've heard mixed reviews from actual users. Some claim it slows hair loss. Some say they tried it, thought it wasn't working, but lost hair when they discontinued it. Some have been on higher doses of 2.5 mg a day for a year or more and they see no benefits from it. I have only heard of one woman who claims that it definitely works for her. She also happens to be an excellent responder to minoxidil, so her greatest benefit might be from the minoxidil itself.

As for myself, I figured that I might as well give it a shot. I've got nothing to lose except for more hair :P .
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron