PCOS

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

Sonali
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

PCOS

Post by Sonali » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:17 am

Hiya

Well, there've been quite a few developments since I first posted my story to this forum. First of all, I switched contraceptive pill - from Microgynon (a high androgen index pill, it turns out), to Dianette (an anti-androgen), and then to Marvelon (a low androgen index pill), which I'm currently taking. Some of my hair has grown back, in the centre of my scalp, where the hair loss was most recent. I put it down to taking bad medication, but accepted a test for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome that my doctor offered me. Now it turns out that I do have PCOS, and that this is invariably the root cause of my hair loss. I've seen three consultants, and they each told me my hair loss was hereditary - they were all wrong. PCOS can be checked, but if it isn't, it can lead to infertility, increased risk of cancer, etc. I'd recommend any woman suffering from hair loss to have an ultrasound, to see whether Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is the cause. Your doctor might be disinterested and unhelpful, but this is about more than hair loss - which is upsetting enough as it is! So pester them until they listen to you!
Sonali

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 am

Sonali,

I'm sorry to hear that you have PCOS. I hope the medications will help you. Many women who have hair loss, do have PCOS.

Thanks for posting your update.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron