eyelash loss and thining

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

fishing gal
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

eyelash loss and thining

Post by fishing gal » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:22 am

Does anyone know what can case eyelash/eyebrow thining and loss in women? Is this a hormonal fact of life for middle-aged women? Thanks.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:47 pm

Hello Fishing Gal,

Are you experiencing thinning anywhere else right now as well? Is the thinning in patches or is it generally spread throughout your eyebrows and lashes?

Regards,
Sam

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:51 am

You should have a doctor look at the thinning. It could be a sign of any number of things.....like low thyroid function.

My eyelashes began to thin in my 20's (long before my hair did). I thought it was just one of those things. Then, AGA kicked in my early 30's. I've been using minoxidil for a year and my eyelashes are thick again. I didn't expect that.

However, I've never had eye brow thinning.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

botak
Occasional Poster

Post by botak » Tue May 15, 2007 9:29 pm

is this true? does this happen too? i don't know anything about it. perhaps you lack certain nutrient or the problem is with your eyes. see a doctor.

ScalpHealer

Re: eyelash loss and thining

Post by ScalpHealer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 am

Do your eyes itch or have a dandruff like appearance? The cause could easily be linked to the Demodex Folliculorum and Brevis, microscopic mites that live in the follicle and sebaceous glands of the hair. Medical science has proven this tiny creature known as the occular mite, feeds on the follicle cell walls, hair bulb and sebaceous gland causing eyelash and brow hair loss. For the last six years, I've dedicated my career to finding methods to inhibit and control this mite which I also believe attributes to pattern hair loss. The demodex has a short life of about a month, in which it can lay up to 25 eggs within the follicle. It's not much of a leap to make this assuption. The hair line is only inches away from the brows and lashes. Both demodex feed on skin cells, hair bulbs, hormones and sebum. They also seem to thrive in persons with a suppressed immune systems such as rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis.

Most doctors suggest and prescribe antibiotic ointments and steriod creams. Neither of which usually work.

Ways I've found to address this: I'm a huge user of organic personal products and Sea Buchthorn oil. SBT oil comes from the seed of the same plant and has been proven in Chinese studies to help control the mite. There is tons of information on this and easily obtained if you do a keyword search on the origins and benefits of SBT.

I've had a few clients use Castor Oil and were also very pleased with the results.

Before using any new product, especially around the eyes, always perform a patch test on the inside of your fore arm 24 hours before application to avoid possible negative interactions.

Good luck,
Karen Crever
Scalp & Skin Works

rachel.g82
Occasional Poster

Post by rachel.g82 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:50 am

I have eyebrow thinning, but I don't know what's causing it. I always thought it was probably just hormonal, since a lot of older (50's + up) women I know have some thinning brows. However, I am only 31 and they've been starting to look thinner for the last year or so. Anyone have thoughts? Is it hormones?

Kate Russell
Regular Poster

Post by Kate Russell » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Apart from my hair problems, eyelash thiinning is one problem I've been going through ever since I was born. My eyelashes have this allergy where I get dryness all over their roots and it looks like I've got eye gel smeared all over my eyes :-& yuvk!! I have this by birth and I've lost most of my eyelashes like this :( . My eyes look bald :oops: and I've been using some olive oil every night to keep away the dandruff. Don't make it too much or it'll get in your eyes and sting!!