What causes hair loss in women and how can it be controlled?

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

patricia
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

What causes hair loss in women and how can it be controlled?

Post by patricia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:34 am

I've heard some hair loss in women can be expected with age but are there any natural nutrients that can be used to help or aid in controlling the problem? Its kinda sad to see ones tresses go down the drain after shampooing.

logan

Re: What causes hair loss in women and how can it be controlled?

Post by logan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 am

I've tried a lot of products. But any product could not stop my hair loss. I would almost bald. Fortunately, one of my friend suggested Arganlife Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo. I had alot of bad experiences with anti-hair loss shapoos this reason I desperately began to use. But When i start using day by day, I was quite satisfied with the results. The problem of hair loss completely disappeared two weeks. I am very happy. My hair loss stopped and my hair grow faster now. I highly recommend everyone. You will not believe the results. :]]

shinning_like_me
Regular Poster

Post by shinning_like_me » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 am

Hi there,

It may be shocking to few that before switching to new or expensive products to stoip that hair fall what is important is to alter and refine the diet you are taking
Carrots
It's not just the eyes, Vitamin A-rich carrots provide excellent nourishment for the scalp. A healthy scalp ensures shiny, well-conditioned hair that is strengthened and moisturised. An overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like the Indian salmon and low-fat dairy are great boosters for healthy hair.

Prunes
If your hair suffers from dryness, thinning, stiffness, discolouration or hair fall, depleting reserves of iron might be the culprit. Prunes are known to be great sources of iron and greatly help improve the quality of hair. Also ensure you get plenty of green vegetables and beetroots in your diet in addition to prunes.

Green peas
Although green peas are not rich in antioxidants or any specific vitamin or mineral, they contain a well-balanced amount of vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc and B group vitamins. These are essential for maintaining healthy hair.

Oats
Not only are oats loaded with fiber that helps maintain a healthy heart and bowels, they also contain a high concentration of other essential nutrients such as zinc, iron and omega-6 fatty acids. Together, these are also knows as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Omega-6 fatty acids in particular are essential to maintain normal skin, hair growth and development. Since this essential ingredient is only obtained through the diet, make sure your breakfast includes a bowl of oatmeal every few days in the week.

Shrimp
While red meats are best avoided in excess, finding an appropriate substitute for proteins might be a little difficult for those looking to build muscle etc. Alternatively, of the wide variety of sea food available, shrimps are a great substitute. They not only go excellently well in a number of curries and pastas, their potent concentration of Vitamin B12, iron, zinc contain all the necessary nourishment to prevent hair loss.

Walnuts
Not to be outdone by the oats, walnuts are one of the most hairfriendly nuts in the category. Not only do walnuts have more omega-6 fatty acids than any other food, but they're also full of zinc, iron, B vitamins (B1, B6 and B9), and plenty of protein. However, a word of caution, walnuts also contain a small trace of selenium, a mineral known to cause hair loss in people who are selenium-deficient or have way too much in their system. So a handful of nuts over the week should tide you over without much trouble.

Eggs
For a head full of healthy hair, the egg is probably one of your best friends. It's loaded with essential nutrients such as proteins, Vitamin B12, iron, zinc and Omega 6 fatty acids in large amounts. Being deficient in any of these vitamins and minerals is known to result in poor quality of hair. In addition it's also a good source for biotin (Vitamin B7) which is a great aid to fight hair loss.

Low fat dairy products
Low-fat dairy products like skim milk and yogurt are great sources of calcium, an important mineral for hair growth. They also contain whey and casein, two high-quality protein sources. Add a cup of yogurt or cottage cheese to your snack list and to help prevent hair loss, stir in a few tablespoons of flaxseed or walnuts for your required dose of omega 3 fatty acids and zinc.

Kate Russell
Regular Poster

Post by Kate Russell » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:18 pm

For most women I guess it can be a hormonal imbalance, lack of proper hair care or simply heredity......

cindy07
Regular Poster

Post by cindy07 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 am

thinning hair and hair loss are also common in women, and no less demoralizing. Reasons can range from the simple and temporary—a vitamin deficiency—to the more complex, like an underlying health condition.Nutritional responses to preventing hair loss are simple common sense approaches to keeping you, Avoid food or eating habits that can inhibit hair growth or encourage hair loss. Stress damages all of your body, and your hair is no exception.

raghav1979
Treatment Regimen: hair creams

Post by raghav1979 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:58 am

Stress is the main reason for hair loss in woman but this level of hair loss in woman is not permanent. Chemicals used for coloring, bleaching, straightening, or perming hair can cause it to become damaged and break off if they are overused or used incorrectly. Age and hormones is another cause for hair loss in woman which is less prominent in woman than men and alopecia which is caused in women by hormones changing and heredity may also shown in the age of 25-30.

anna88
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by anna88 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Some of the possible reasons for falling hair are:

Tension
Too much work
Illness
Poor diet
Over-exposure to the sun
Perming
Amateur bleaching
Too frequent and inexpert use of tints, rinses or other colourants

Here is what you can do to prevent hair fall

Shampoo regularly. Remember, a CLEAN scalp is a HEALTHY SCALP.

Brahmi amla oil also promotes hair growth.

A high protein diet with plenty of fruits, green vegetables and dairy products is a must.

Drink 10-12 glass of water everyday.

Use a very mild shampoo and condition your hair at least twice a week. When you do, make sure you rinse out the conditioner thoroughly, otherwise residue build-up will cause your hair to look limp and dull.

Know your vitamins! IRON is important for healthy hair and brittle, limp hair indicates an iron deficiency. Spinach has a good iron content, so gulp it down!

ZINC helps prevent hair loss and greying. Eat adequate zinc rich foods. Overweight people tend to have zinc deficiency, which is inversely related to the body mass index. Thus if you are overweight and if your hair falls too much, you may want to increase your intake of zinc containing foods. Recipes containing stone ground, wholegrain flour are rich in zinc.

A shortfall in VITAMIN B may cause dandruff, falling hair, loss of colour and could encourage grey hair. So B group Vitamins are essential for gloss, colour and thickness.

VITAMIN C ensures the health of capillaries supplying blood to hair follicles. Make sure your diet includes plenty of fresh fruits and veggies.

VITAMIN E encourages hair growth. Switch from refined flours to wholemeal and wheatgerm, eggs, vegetable oil.

COPPER stops hair from falling. Studies show that the copper content in the blood serum of people with falling hair is less than normal. Different types of alopecia (falling hair) are seen to have a deficiency of this important trace element. Include small quantities of nuts, especially cashews and peanuts, seeds, whole milk and beans in your diet as these contain minute but important amounts of copper.

Homemade remedies for preventing hair fall:

Apply almond oil on scalp and massage.
Grind fenugreek seeds in water and apply on your scalp. Wash off after 40 minutes. Do this every morning for a month ¡V if it suits you! Remember, different treatments suit different types of hair.
Massage warm castor oil + almond oil into your scalp gently. Wrap a hot towel around your scalp so it gets absorbed into the hair. Do this twice a week for healthy, shiny hair.
Add 2-3 drops of honey to a glass of water and use this as the last rinse after shampooing.

Quick Hair Care Conditioner

Mix 1 egg, 2 tbs castor oil, 1 tsp vinegar and 1 tsp glycerine. Beat until frothy and massage lightly into your scalp. Wrap your head in a hot towel, steam, then wash off. This conditioner makes hair thicker, shiny, soft and manageable.

Honey Conditioner

Beat 1-2 eggs (depending on the length of the hair), 1 tsp honey and 2 tsp olive oil. Massage gently into the scalp. Steam, and shampoo after an hour.

Alcohol Conditioner

Beat 1-2 eggs with 2 tsp brandy. Massage into your scalp. Leave for 10-15 mins. Rinse well. The egg nourishes your hair and brandy stimulates hair growth.

Your hair is a vital beauty asset, requiring constant loving care. And with a little nurturing, lush, glossy hair will be yours.

austen
Occasional Poster

Post by austen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:06 am

patricia wrote:I've heard some hair loss in women can be expected with age but are there any natural nutrients that can be used to help or aid in controlling the problem? Its kinda sad to see ones tresses go down the drain after shampooing.
The Causes for hair loss in women are Physical and emotional stress, Pregnancy, excess of vitamin A, Lack of protein, hormonal imbalance, Hypothyroidism, lack of Vitamin B, weight loss etc. Hair fall can be controlled by taking medical treatment. You can buy propecia 5 mg for reducing your hair fall.