Clinical trial finds Metagenics’ UltraMeal Plus 360° medical food to be twice as effective as the Mediterranean diet when it comes to addressing heart disease and diabetes

Discuss general health, fitness, and supplements topics here.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Clinical trial finds Metagenics’ UltraMeal Plus 360° medical food to be twice as effective as the Mediterranean diet when it comes to addressing heart disease and diabetes

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am

http://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/contents/view/39701
he rising incidence of heart disease and diabetes has increased the taste for the Mediterranean diet and over the years, many studies have affirmed that this diet’s food-specific approach is indeed healthy. As more attention is paid to the connection between food and good health, a new clinical trial focused on UltraMeal Plus 360°, a medical food created by Metagenics Inc. of San Clemente, CA, has yielded exciting results related to the product’s effect on metabolic syndrome, a cluster of conditions that increase an individual’s risk for developing heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses.

The clinical trial, which was sponsored by Metagenics and conducted at three universities, including the University of Connecticut-Storrs, the University of Florida, Jacksonville, and the University of California, Irvine, consisted of 89 women between the ages of 20 and 75. To be eligible for the study, the women had to have a LDL-C of more than 2.59 mmol/L (100 mg/dL), TG equal to or greater than 1.70 mmol/L (150 mg/dL), and meet two of the four remaining criteria for metabolic syndrome. The requirements were based on standards set forth in the National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults—Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP-ATPIII) criteria. Participants with heart, liver or kidney disease or who were using blood sugar or cholesterol-lowering agents were excluded. Those with type II diabetes were not excluded.

The women were divided into two groups and monitored for 12 weeks. One group participated in baseline exercise and consumed a low glycemic, Mediterranean style diet that included legumes, vegetables, lean protein, nuts and seeds, fruit, dairy, oils and whole grains. Though there were no caloric restrictions, researchers stipulated that test subjects eliminate trans fatty acids (partially hydrogenated vegetable oil), artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame), high glycemic load fruits and vegetables (white potatoes, corn, bananas) and simple sugars (high fructose corn syrup, fruit juice, table sugar, evaporated cane juice, honey and maple syrup) from their diets.

The other group followed the same tenets but additionally consumed UltraMeal Plus 360°, a low glycemic index medical food formulated to deliver 15 grams of non GMO soy protein and two grams of plant sterols per serving. The medical food additionally includes “targeted phytonutrients for improving cellular signaling” in the form of reduced iso alpha acids from hops and Acacia nilotica bark extract, which have been clinically shown to improve fasting insulin and triglyceride levels. Each serving also contained an enhanced micronutrient profile to supply 35% or more of the RDI for most vitamins and minerals including 600 mg non-dairy calcium and 400 mcg folic acid (as folic acid and L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate).

When compared with diet alone, the researchers observed nearly double the reductions in total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, non-HDL-cholesterol, apolipoprotein B, ApoB/apoA-I, as well as better homocysteine levels and 40% greater net resolution of metabolic syndrome.

The results of the multicenter clinical trial were published in the May/June issue of the Journal of Clinical Lipidology, a publication of the National Lipid Association.

baramully
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Clinical trial finds Metagenics’ UltraMeal Plus 360° medical food to be twice as effective as the Mediterranean diet when it comes to addressing heart disease and diabetes

Post by baramully » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:25 am

How to deal with cholesterol during pregnancy? My cholesterol has always been normal, but now that I am pregnant, it keeps getting higher. I am not 8 months pregnant, and it is higher than 5.5 mmol/l , it is now around 8. I am very concerned that the high cholesterol means that I am prone to having cholesterol all my life, even after my pregnancy.