30% of Human Genome is Activated by Gingivitis

Discuss general health, fitness, and supplements topics here.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Jacob » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Monday, December 21, 2009

Byron Richards, CCN

In another blow to the reductionist logic of Western Medicine it appears that an ongoing problem in your mouth may cause multiple health problems all over your body. Researchers have found that almost 1/3 of the genes in your body are expressed differently when you have the rather common problem of swollen, easily-bleeding gums and plaque accumulation known as gingivitis.

It makes sense that your body would have a strategy to deal with any acute infection. This would include an inflammatory immune response, a ramping up of natural defenses (such as antioxidant enzymes), accelerated tissue repair, metabolic genes, etc. All of these gene functions are survival in nature and work toward the goal of bringing quick resolution to a problem. However, what happens to these genes and your health when the problem is low-grade and ongoing?

“The study’s findings demonstrate that clinical symptoms of gingivitis reflect complicated changes in cellular and molecular processes within the body,” said Steven Offenbacher, D.D.S., Ph.D., the study’s lead author. “Understanding the thousands of individual genes and multiple systems involved in gingivitis will help explain exactly what is occurring in a person’s body at the onset of the disease and how it relates to their overall health.”

Gingivitis is reflective of a problem known as biofilm formation, meaning that germs have formed gangs and are highly resistant to your immune system. Biofilms are also formed in your sinuses and digestive tract, and can be bacterial and/or fungal in nature (such as a Candida albicans biofilm). Biofilms are a significant health challenge.

The fact that so many genes are expressed in an attempt to deal with a biofilm is startling. Since a large number of these genes are immune-related and inflammatory, and since the common thread of all diseases of aging is a progressive burden of immune-related inflammation, the implications of this finding to human health are significant.

And not to rain on anyone’s holiday parade, but the excess consumption of sugar during the holidays is a primary time when biofilms go wild. And once they ramp up to a new level of activation it can take months to get them back under control (not to mention the 10 or 15 pounds that often comes with them).

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health ... ingivitis/

Lapwing
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: 30% of Human Genome is Activated by Gingivitis

Post by Lapwing » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 am

Interesting article! CoQ10 is great for healthy gums. It worked like a charm for me and kept me from a "deep" cleaning and reversed my gum recession.

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by Joanne » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:18 am

Very interesting. Thanks Jacob.

I've been reading that xylitol is good for killing bacteria in your mouth. Can't locate the link, but they said to mix 1-2 teaspoons of xylitol in water and swish it around in your mouth for 30-60 seconds. I also use a xylitol nasal spray when I'm in planes ... or if I'm feeling on the verge of a cold, around sick people, etc. It's called X-Clear and it's made of purified water, xylitol, saline and GFSE --that's it. It seems to work well. Keeps the nasal passages moisturized and I haven't gotten sick in a long time.

Lapwing -- do you take the CoQ10 as a supplement ... or use it directly on your gums? I know Life Extension makes a toothpaste with CoQ10, among other things. Been considering trying it ... :-k

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:58 pm

My favorite toothpaste at the moment is Squigle's Tooth Builder..which is xylitol based. One could probably use just plain xylitol but I like the additional ingreds in the toothpaste..such as lactoferrin. The #1 reason I like it so much is it's taste- nice 'n sweet. No mint or anything. Which is what plain xylitol would be like :-s

I haven't tried that Vesisorb coq10 yet...wonder if it'd absorb into the gums etc if just placed in the mouth.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Swanson just came out with their oral probiotic: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU519/ItemDetail

They also carry another one that's out there: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/EPL001/ItemDetail?n=0

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 pm

They're all jumping on the probiotic bandwagon :idea:

http://www.gardenoflife.com/Productsfor ... fault.aspx

Looks like they have the exclusive rights to this particular one though: http://www.probiora3.com/ ..although..the Probiora company does sell it themselves: http://www.evoraplus.com/

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by Joey Ramone » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Am loving this forum.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 am

BLIS K12 with some other ingreds..adult version coming in March. I wonder if it being in powder makes more sense. I'm trying the LEF and Garden of Life versions..the LEF seems to dissolve too quick..the GoL seems perfect. The latter tells you to move it around to touch all your teeth/gum areas. Taking the powder over..say 10 mins...hmmmm..

The additional ingreds are also nice..and compared to the LEF product..price is good too. See the Swanson product for a cheaper tablet version(comparable to LEF's)

http://www.truebotanica.com/TD_Flow_Cha ... _10_retail

10% off with code TDK0210 (5 days only)

That POM mouthwash by LEF also looks good..see their research on that...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Periodontitis and Prostatitis: What’s the Connection?

Post by Jacob » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Denver Smith

Post by Denver Smith » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25 pm

The first stage of a gum disease is usually called gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation, swelling and bleeding of the gum tissue. It is caused by bacteria that naturally coat the teeth. Mostly gingivitis is a result of poor oral hygiene. Gum Recession Las Vegas has advanced procedures for treating the diseases like gingivitis.