New research in the FASEB Journal identifies the ‘Goldilocks dose’ of DHA that is ‘just right’ for preventing oxidative stress in men.

Discuss general health, fitness, and supplements topics here.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

New research in the FASEB Journal identifies the ‘Goldilocks dose’ of DHA that is ‘just right’ for preventing oxidative stress in men.

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:04 am

http://organicjar.com/2009/1893/
(OrganicJar) New research in the FASEB Journal identifies the ‘Goldilocks dose’ of DHA that is ‘just right’ for preventing oxidative stress in men.

A team of French scientists have found the dose of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) that is “just right” for preventing cardiovascular disease in healthy men. In a research report appearing in the September 2009 print issue of The FASEB Journal, the scientists show that a 200 mg dose of DHA per day is enough to affect biochemical markers that reliably predict cardiovascular problems, such as those related to aging, atherosclerosis, and diabetes. This study is the first to identify how much DHA is necessary to promote optimal heart health.

“This study shows that regularly consuming small amounts of DHA is likely to improve the health status of people, especially in regards to cardiovascular function,” said Michel Lagarde, co-author of the study.

The Research Study:

To determine the optimal dose of DHA, Lagarde and colleagues examined the effects of increasing doses of DHA on 12 healthy male volunteers between ages of 53 and 65. These men consumed doses of DHA at 200, 400, 800, and 1600 mg per day for two weeks for each dose amount, with DHA being the only omega-3 fatty acid in their diet. Blood and urine samples were collected before and after each dose and at eight weeks after DHA supplementation stopped. The researchers then examined these samples for biochemical markers indicating the effects of each dose on the volunteers.

“Now that we have a very good idea about how much DHA is just right, the next step is to try it out in an expanded clinical trial that involves many more people,” said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: New research in the FASEB Journal identifies the ‘Goldilocks dose’ of DHA that is ‘just right’ for preventing oxidative stress in men.

Post by hapyman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm

Interesting considering the link between MPB, oxidative stress and heart disease.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: New research in the FASEB Journal identifies the ‘Goldilocks dose’ of DHA that is ‘just right’ for preventing oxidative stress in men.

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:29 pm

The product I've been taking(thanks to the sale) contains 100mg per softgel: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU480/I ... k%3DLevel2

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Post by hapyman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:07 pm

That looks like a nice supplement. Have you been taking it twice a day?

BTW I love swanson's now. They seem to be so much better priced than iHerb and there is usually a 10% or 15% coupon lying around to boot.

jksl
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Post by jksl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:50 pm

So, how much DHA is the right dose?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:56 pm

hapyman wrote:That looks like a nice supplement. Have you been taking it twice a day?

BTW I love swanson's now. They seem to be so much better priced than iHerb and there is usually a 10% or 15% coupon lying around to boot.
Actually just once a day..since I take other oils as well. One can always get a separate dha supplement..Swanson's carries a 200mg per gelcap one...plenty of others at Iherb etc.

And yeah..that's why I keep posting their stuff- quality and prices. Got something in my email recently that I think was $5-$20 off depending upon the size of your order.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:01 pm

jksl wrote:So, how much DHA is the right dose?
It seems to be 200mg..although this, just like everything else..isn't exact science..and I wouldn't be surprised if some require more or less than others. Here's another write-up on it: http://www.garyjones.org/mt/
The referenced study showed that those biochemical markers can be adversely affected by high doses of DHA. Too much of a good thing, as we probably ought to suspect, isn't as good. This is just one study and there are many issues besides cardiovascular health to consider, but it changes the beef equation discussed above. If you want 200 mg rather than 650 mg then a serving of beef is 40% RDI rather than 13%.
If I ate grass fed beef everyday...hmmmm.... :-s