Looking for some deeeeeeelicious and healthy breakfast shake mixes(and bars)

Discuss general health, fitness, and supplements topics here.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Looking for some deeeeeeelicious and healthy breakfast shake mixes(and bars)

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm going to be trying out the new Amazing Grass meal product..got the sample pack coming. Any other suggestions? And yes..they have to taste good enough to be able to keep 'em down. Mixing with rice or coconut milk is fine if needed. Oh..and they have to be ready to mix. I've no time to mix up a bunch of fruit etc before I head out the door. And no soy, please :-&

http://www.amazinggrass.com/amazingmeal.html

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Looking for some deeeeeeelicious and healthy breakfast shake mixes(and bars)

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:50 pm

A couple of others that I've actually tried in the past...taste wasn't too bad: http://www.truebotanica.com/store/produ ... rWhey.aspx

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: Looking for some deeeeeeelicious and healthy breakfast shake mixes(and bars)

Post by hapyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:51 am

The "Amazing Meal" looks nice but it is about $2 a serving. Although I guess if you use it as a meal replacement it isn't that bad then. After all I don't think you could ever find a meal that nutritious for $2 on the go.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Yeah it's more like $2.30 a serving..although I haven't shopped for the best price yet. Still beats even McD's..in so many ways :lol:

Ah..I see what you mean..the "bulk" containers..web exclusives at their site. Amazing what one finds when shopping for the best price 8) Took adding 2 to get free shipping though :-s

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:02 pm

I guess I can't expect more responses/suggestions when this section gets so few reads :-x

Some other possibilities:

http://www.vitacost.com/Pure-Advantage-Vegan-Complete

http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchant.m ... mrp_shakes

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Whole-Food- ... uctReviews
Ha..from the above..
since i have been using this product, i have notice hair growth as well as extra energy,

http://www.vitacost.com/The-Ultimate-Li ... 0-Servings Seems I sampled that one some time ago..wasn't a mix-in-water/milk and so tasty kind of deal.

http://www.vitacost.com/EnerHealth-Bota ... eplacement Made with coconut milk powder..cool. Wish more would use that.

This one wasn't bad(notice it's free with your order): http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Per ... 17627?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Vega-Sequel-Natura ... 11798?at=0

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:15 pm

This one looks very good http://www.gojuvo.com/ingredients.php

But whenever they have a "recipes" page...there's a very good chance after a few days of mixing it just in water or milk I'll be moving on to the next one [-(

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 am

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 am

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 am

I'm actually REALLY INTERESTED in this. I used to work out a lot so I never needed to "diet" (I hate that word... what I really mean is "put down the cheeseburgers a little bit").

I'm going to try to shed about 20-30 pounds over the next couple of months (which is pretty easy for me... that's probably like 10 pounds on a normal person). Gotta get ready for the videos, you know.

Anyway, I know NOTHING about this, but I am looking for some meal replacements for about every other day or so.

My main problem -besides the fact that for most of my adult life I've been "on the road" and it's near impossible to eat right and work out regularly- is that I don't eat at enough intervals. I'll sometimes only eat one ginormous ultra-fattening meal a day at dinner, and during the day I'll only have a super fattening ice venti quad mocha. lol...

Anyway, I think that if I got something like this and simply made myself "eat" them for breakfast and lunch, I'd lose weight because my metabolism wouldn't be like a turtle.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Plan your meals with the Laser Babe...that should fix your problem :!:

If you try any of these..let me know what you think of the taste etc. I haven't been posting the whey-based ones since I'm looking for something that will give me that full feeling longer. Although there are some with special fibers that work for that(below)..but there are no other goodies in them. They do taste better though.

I did try the chocolate and pom/mango Amazing Meals so far...the chocolate wasn't too bad. If I get a canister I'll have to experiment with rice milk- vanilla and chocolate..and coconut milk(ouch on the extra $ for THOSE though).

http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors-Sl ... /2704?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Renew-Life-The-Fib ... 13230?at=0 (they also have bars)

http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Metab ... /5885?at=0

A pudding: http://www.iherb.com/Life-Enhancement-G ... 12183?at=0

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey Jacob, I am getting dizzy from the array of products :D.

But seriously a lot of potentially good ones here and I haven't even made it through the entire list.

I've seen the "The-Ultimate-Life-The-Ultimate-Meal-16th-Evolution" before and was intrigued by the ingredients but never pulled the trigger. I've also tried Dr. Mercola's bars and while tasty, were way too small to be any kind of meal replacement.

Just today though I tried Spiru-Tein after a workout. It mixed pretty well in Rice Milk and tasted great. It actually had chunks of real fruit in it too. 14g of Protein in every scoop or single serve packet. Filled me up pretty well for awhile too. Unfortunately it does have some Soy in it so you probably wouldn't like it. It was a mix of Rice, Soy, Pea and Spirulina. In my opinion it could do without the Soy but it is a pretty good mix anyway.

May have to sample some of these others first before I take the plunge.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:41 am

I ended up just taking the easy route here at first and bought "Lean Muscle Meal" from GNC. It seems to be pretty decent, albeit overpriced. It's got a ton of vitamins and minerals, lots of protein, low in calories, etc. etc. etc. If it works out for me, then I think I'll start branching out to these "fancier" products on the page!

The PROBLEM is that I'm getting surgery tomorrow, and I have to stay away from any sort of fish oil/flax seed oil/etc. So, I'm looking at the box, dying to try them, but I can't touch them until probably the day after tomorrow.

Anyway, I really do think that me simply consuming one of these for breakfast and one for lunch will kick my metabolism back in gear. Believe it or not, the fact that I don't weigh 300 pounds is a testament to the fact that I have a wicked fast metabolism. Over the past 10 years, I've had blocks of years in there where I literally ate at Outback Steakhouse three or four times a week. Man, living on the road as a territory sales rep in which you jump in a car/plane on Monday and don't get back until Thursday night/Friday really takes it's toll. I can confidently say that MOST PEOPLE would be much proportionally fatter than me given the same circumstances. lol...

Anyway, I'm ready for this fatter part of my life to end!
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:48 am

Off topic, but...

Good luck on the surgery John. Hope it's nothing serious.

Are you thinking about implementing any kind of exercise? I just started the P90X and it is a great workout. It looks hokey on television and the dvds are kind of the same but the workouts are legit. The DVDs can be had pretty easily through torrents.

Also if you are trying to lose weight I'd recommend getting your body as pH balanced as possible. The more acidic you are the harder it will be to lose any weight. The simple addition of a little ACV per day will help those pounds slide off in my experience. I'm not overweight by any means but there was a time when I couldn't exercise and ate like crap and in any proportions. However during this time I continued to stay lean and I attribute this mainly to the daily ACV I was taking.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:30 pm

OMG..it contains artificial sweeteners? =; But there are a ton of products like that out there..many w/out the artificials. If I didn't say it before..I'm also staying away from milk proteins..whey I'm ok with though.

hapyman..I went through a # of boxes of Mercola's bars back when they contained chia seeds. There were very good..but like you say- too small. And I don't know how many times I've looked at Spiru-Tein and just about purchased it because I forgot it contained soy :lol:

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:36 pm

New Test Shows Superfood Nutrition Delivers Broader Antioxidant Protection and Quenches More Radicals Than Supplements

Living Fuel Inc., The Leader In Superfood Nutrition, Tops The List

Tampa, Florida – August 26, 2009 – Antioxidants. Who needs them and why? We all need them, and in fact more of them. Antioxidants are substances or nutrients in foods that prevent or slow oxidative damage. When body cells use oxygen, they naturally produce free radicals which can cause damage. Antioxidants act as “free radical scavengers” and prevent and repair damage done by these free radicals. Antioxidants have been shown to help people live longer, healthier lives and Living Fuel superfoods are proven to provide superior antioxidant protection.

Until recently the standard way to measure a food’s antioxidant protection was with ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scores. ORAC scores are recognized by the USDA as a testing method to assess the antioxidant strength of nutritive compounds. The higher a food’s ORAC score, the better it is at helping bodies protect cells from oxidative damage and fight diseases like cancer, memory loss, and heart disease.

Living Fuel became the first company in its category to test its flagship products with Total ORACFN, the next-generation antioxidant testing standard from Brunswick Labs. Total ORACFN is a new, patent-pending test that measures the antioxidant power of a product against five reactive oxygen species (commonly referred to as ‘radicals’) that cause damage in humans. These are the most important radicals causing oxidative damage in the human body – hydroxyl, peroxyl, peroxynitrite, singlet oxygen, and superoxide anion. Total ORACFN values are reported in the same standard units as the original ORAC.

Broad-spectrum antioxidant protection is critical because each of the five radicals behaves differently, like viruses, bacteria, or other biological pests. Simply protecting against one radical is not enough.

“This new level of broad-spectrum antioxidant testing confirms what we have known for years about our leading-edge, high impact superfoods,” explains Living Fuel Founder & CEO KC Craichy. “Living Fuel products provide broad-spectrum antioxidant protection which is dramatically more antioxidant protection than any of the wine-bottle antioxidant products, grape juice, vegetable juice, green tea, and grape seed extract can provide. Antioxidant protection is only one of the many important benefits LivingFuel superfoods provide.”

Living Fuel products contain the most potent, bioavailable, and highest quality nutritional ingredients including freeze-dried organic fruits and vegetables that are rich, natural sources of antioxidants. The harmonious blend of these active ingredients provides diverse and balanced antioxidant protection – more so than other popular antioxidants.

“Scientific research has shown that the synergy created by the ingredients in Living Fuel products – food extracts, enzymes, probiotics, amino acids, herbs, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals – is much more effective than individual antioxidants,” explains Dr. Leonard Smith, M.D., renowned nutrition and natural medicine expert, general gastrointestinal and vascular surgeon and member of the volunteer faculty at the University of Miami Department of Surgery. “In fact, this synergy is more effective than individual foods known to be high in antioxidants.”

A serving of the whole meal superfood SuperBerry Ultimate has an unprecedentedly high Total ORACFN score of 119,200. This is more than 13 times the broad-spectrum antioxidant protection of a serving of vitamin C and 10 times the broad-spectrum antioxidant protection of green tea on the Brunswick Labs Index.

Similarly, LivingFuel SuperGreens has an ORACFN level of 82,800 per serving and provides about 6 times as much broad-spectrum protection as a serving of vegetable juice blend.

This incredible antioxidant power is just one of the reasons Living Fuel products are complete superfoods. Living Fuel superfoods are designed as complete nutrition to sustain life indefinitely while providing sustained energy and satisfying hunger and cravings. They exemplify the Four Corners of Optimal Nutrition, one of the most well-researched nutritional approaches in existence. Each serving includes unprecedented antioxidant power; calorie restriction with optimal nutrition; low-glycemic response, and essential fats. While other foods such as vitamin C and grape seed extract are high in antioxidants, they are simply supplements not foods.

“Hippocrates’ admonition to ‘let your food be your medicine, and let your medicine be your food’ is exemplified by Living Fuel,” continues Dr. Smith. “I have seen many patients, friends and family members recover from serious medical conditions while using Living Fuel as the mainstay of their diets until they improved.”

About Brunswick Laboratories

Brunswick Laboratories is an independent, full-service bio-analytical laboratory specializing in the science of Antioxidants and Oxidative Stress. The laboratory is recognized internationally by leading health research institutions and companies in the nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, food and cosmetic industries. Brunswick Laboratories is a pioneer and a world leader in research and diagnostic services related to antioxidants and oxidative stress, and has earned a position of respect and trust based on the contributions made in this field. For more information visit www.brunswicklabs.com.

About Living Fuel, Inc.

Living Fuel is the leader in superfood nutrition in purity, potency, quality and truth. The company’s mission is to change lives with leading-edge, high-end superfoods. Living Fuel quality products are meticulously designed with integrity and fresh, all-natural, organic ingredients whenever possible. LivingFuel is for the entire family from the health challenged to the super healthy, including athletes like Olympic swimming champion Dara Torres and Boston Red Sox All-Star J.D. Drew, dieters and diabetics. The product line includes LivingFuel SuperBerry® Ultimate; SuperBerry® Original; SuperGreens; LivingProtein; SuperEssentials™ Omega 3EDA antioxidant essential fatty acids gelcaps; CocoChia™ Raw Food Sustained Energy Bars and Snack Mix; Super Coffee Rx™ gourmet antioxidant coffee extract and TheraSweet™ all-natural therapeutic sugar. For more information about Living Fuel or its products, visit www.livingfuel.com or contact the company directly at (866) 580-3835.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Here's one with goat milk fermented protein powder..and chocamine plus...fruits and veggies..pro/prebiotics...other antioxidants. Sounds great for breakfast. But will it stay down....

http://www.empyrean-nutrition.com/revit ... facts.html

jksl
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Post by jksl » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:31 pm

OverMachoGrande wrote: Anyway, I'm ready for this fatter part of my life to end!
The laser babe will probably appreciate you saying that. You need to look good for your wedding!

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 pm

I guess that Revitalize doesn't contain much protein at all.

Been wanting to try this one for...you guessed it..night time: http://store.wellnesspartners.com/Night ... twp-cl.htm

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Both look like very interesting products. Night time formula eh? I usually feel groggy as hell in the morning. Maybe this would help :D.

The Revitalize product, although lacking a lot of protein, looks good. It would be easy for me to toss a scoop of rice protein (12g) into the mix.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm a little skeptical of the "encapsulated" whey..they don't really say what it's encapsulated with. And you'd think other companies would come out with such products..although this one may have a patent or ? Don't recall reading about any though. I've sent them an email...

There are other "nighttime" formulas out there..most contain milk proteins though.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 pm

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:42 pm

I may be missing it but how many servings is that?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:55 am

I see 20. The price may be Canadian $

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 am

Looks good. About $2.50 for one meals worth but this has a lot of beneficial stuff in it

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:47 am

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:53 pm

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Wow ~$100 for 12 servings. But it does look pretty amazing :D

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 am

Maybe they can give us a 5% discount :-s

http://www.naturesplus.com/products/key ... r=fruitein

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:24 am

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 am

My GF has that FRUITEIN and I tried it the other day. It was delicious and mixed really well in water or rice milk. Unfortunately for you it has soy in it :D

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm

=;

I'm still on Amazing Meal. Will probably try the others as they go on sale..get a good discount...etc 8)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 am

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:30 pm

BioComplete http://www.globalformulas.com

CTF is a specific combination of Brach Chain Amino Acids in a 3 to 1 leucine to isoleucine and valine ratio in combination with chelated glutamine. The majority of typical L-Glutamine gets used up in the intestinal tract before it ever reaches the bloodstream. Chelated glutamine is a molecularly bonded glutamine, which, in turn, dramatically enhances absorption into the muscle cell. Up to 80% of L-Glutamine gets used up in the intestinal tract; by chelating glutamine to magnesium, glutamine gets a “piggy-back ride” through the intestinal tract and into the muscle cell.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 am

Applied Delivery Systems Complete Meal Replacement Protein, Decadent Chocolate
20 pouches..on sale:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... =374180248

Free shipping etc coupons can be found by doing a search.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 pm

A bit of an update. I've tried 3 of the above mentioned products so far. Applied Delivery Systems Complete Meal(the last one posted/pictured above this post)- the best tasting but not as many goodies and contains milk proteins. SuperMeal RX- Has the most goodies but wasn't too crazy about the taste. Didn't have any problems chugging it down, but why they say they're the best tasting..? :-s . Amazing Grass Meal- my favorite so far. A bit gritty..but my body loved it(digestive system, etc).

Some more to list...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:41 pm

ReVitaPhi..ok..not really a "meal" type product. Contains Ho Shu Wu (Fo-Ti) though..a hair
goodie. This place lists it as #2 in their superfood catagory..hmmmm: http://www.superfoods-for-superhealth.c ... foods.html
Fo-ti root - is a energy tonic renowned in China as the "longevity herb". Also called Ho Sho Wu, it contains a substance similar to resveratrol, which is reputed to lengthen lifespan. Fo-ti, top among the Chinese herbs, was also popularized by the famous Chinese herbalist, Chung Yun, who lived to be 256 years of age and consumed Fo-ti on a daily basis. In modern research, the root is known to build lifeforce in the kidney and liver, removing toxins and in treating the premature greying of the hair.
http://www.spiritofmaat.com/maatshop/revitaphi.html

Mike Adams' review: http://www.naturalnews.com/025538_super ... _Life.html

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Why do these things have to be so expensive :twisted: The company has a few products like this( http://www.integratedhealth.com/rejuven ... rison.html ). This one is more on the fruity side(as is the "Pro")..

http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec ... Herbs.html

Again..Mike Adams(he sells it..see his "special"): http://www.naturalnews.com/028242_Rejuv ... rfood.html

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm liking this company..the fruits- whole food bars are delicious. May try the meal/powder next: http://www.gardenoflife.com/Productsfor ... fault.aspx

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm

One for the..well...let's just say it's another that ain't cheap...

http://www.drinkorgain.com/

There's a coupon for free shipping out there if you're interested.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I may end up going back to NanoPro combined with their new NanoReds. The Pro/Greens combo wasn't bad..so this should be good. My digestive system did love the stuff 8)

http://www.biopharmasci.com/patients/na ... efault.asp

http://www.biopharmasci.com/downloads/N ... 212010.pdf

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Jacob wrote:One for the..well...let's just say it's another that ain't cheap...

http://www.drinkorgain.com/

There's a coupon for free shipping out there if you're interested.

http://www.drwhitaker.com/legacy/order/ ... ain-187566

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:40 pm

El-Mike'bo has some superfood cereals reviewed...or to review: http://www.naturalnews.com/028482_super ... reals.html

I've posted about Ruth's(toward the bottom of that page) before..but have yet to try it. That Living Intentions Acai/Blueberry looks good:
Organic Buckwheat Sprouts, Organic Coconut, Local Blackberry Honey, Organic Currants, Raw Brown Rice Bran & Germ (grain-free), Organic Sunflower Sprouts, Organic Banana, Berry Antioxidant Blend (Organic Blueberry Powder, Organic Acai Powder, Bilberry Powder, Camu Camu Fruit Powder, Elderberry Powder and Amla Berry Powder) and Pink Crystal Salt.