Seasonal Allergies

Discuss general health, fitness, and supplements topics here.

Moderator: moderators

astro_boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Experimenting like Crazy

Seasonal Allergies

Post by astro_boy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Anybody get seasonal allergies here?

Spring and Fall are the worst for me, I'm like a walking mucus ball. I've tried anti-histamines but they don't seem to be very effective on me. Anybody have the same problem or find anything that worked for them?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Seasonal Allergies

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 am

I'm in exactly the same boat. This year is particularly bad for me. Usually antihistamines do the trick for me. It took me a while to find the best one for me. I use Allegra, the 24 hour version. For the last 5 years or so, it has basically been my savior when it comes to allergies. But this year it has barely kept the tide back. I'm sneezing even as I type this message up! I've been taking 2 pills a day now to little effect.

I think I may need to get something else now... I was thinking about flonase or something like that.

What have you been using?

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:40 am

You may want to try a more natural route. A friend of ours has gone back and forth on a number of these drugs..nothing seems to be working these days. She's been taking them for years. I had printed out some info for her on natural alternatives..and in them they talked about how ppl basically become immune to these drugs after using them for so long. There was more to it than that..talked about them doing more harm than good.

Enzymatic Therapy has one..as does Swanson..I think. Here's one I think our friend is taking at the moment: http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors-Al ... /4249?at=0

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:22 pm

I tried claratin, areus and allegra.. sometimes a decongestant helps but very limited. I'm going to see my doctor next week about it, maybe ask about immunotherapy so tired of this crap not once but twice a year always around exam time.

Jacob, do you know what kind of results your friend got from the herbal treatment?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 pm

This is the worst allergy day I've had in years. I had to leave work. Totally zonked out on medication at home....

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm

I'll find out how she's doing with the stuff..and I wish I'd have kept the links I had printed out for her. Completely changed her mind on going the drug route, again. Maybe she still has them...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:32 pm

I haven't gotten a hold of the person mentioned above..but wanted to point out that product is on sale at Swanson's. I see Vitacost also has the same formula.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU227/I ... =129499705

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:54 pm

I will eat snout of salamander if it would get rid of my allergies. I've literally been in bed now for two days.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:35 pm

:-s

There are natural nasal sprays as well: http://www.allergy-relief-sinol.com/

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm

I might try it, but the power of my mucus is insane.. at least one side usually stays entirely clogged and no amount of blowing can unclog it. If I do manage to clear it with a spray or something its back again within minutes.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Do you get infections(sinus etc) often?

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 pm

nope, never. It's the same if I get sick though.. massive immune response. Fortunately I don't get sick often.. maybe once every 2 years, but when I do.. oh boy.

I really want to try immunotherapy and see if that works. Though I hear it doesn't work for everybody.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 am

I've thought about immunotherapy in the past as well. Only I have seen people that have had it done and they're still sniffling and sneezing as much as me.... So I don't know. I think controlling the symptoms is the best thing we can hope for with the current "treatments" out there.

Tberk
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Rogaine Foam. Emu oil. Propecia
starting Scalpure and lllt

Post by Tberk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:12 pm

The problem I have been having is using drowsy medications. Some make certain people drowsy and some don't. I have had luck with Claratin and Singulair. Also for the eyes, the best I have used us Patanol.
For bad congestion try flushing with salt water or if you are lucky enough, get in the ocean!!!!

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster

Post by OverMachoGrande » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 pm

Guys, JDP710 has found a great answer for this, and it's "Broccomax".

I very bad allergies, he recommended it, and they did get MUCH BETTER. I sorry... I embarrassingly know NOTHING of the mechanism of action, I simply benefited from JDP's knowledge! Maybe he'll be by to do that later. Anyway, it was at Vitamin Shoppe.

Also, I've always had bad congested sinuses, and I've used GFSE for that, and they've gotten much better from that, too. I actually wrote a blog about that: "OFF TOPIC: Flowbee, Grapefruit Seed Extract (for sinus problems), and Listerine Whitening mouthwash"

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 pm

Here is some info

""We found a two- to three-fold increase in antioxidant enzymes in the nasal airway cells of study participants who had eaten a preparation of broccoli sprouts," said Riedl. "This strategy may offer protection against inflammatory processes and could lead to potential treatments for a variety of respiratory conditions."

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Health- ... thma-Study

"People with nasal allergies or asthma may want to add broccoli sprouts to their diets, if early research findings pan out.

In a study of 65 healthy volunteers, researchers found that an oral preparation made from broccoli sprouts trigger an increase in inflammation-fighting enzymes in the upper airways.

The credit appears to go to a compound called sulforaphane, which is found naturally in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage.

Sulforaphane triggers an increase in antioxidant enzymes that help counter cell damage and inflammation brought on by oxidative stress -- from sources like air pollution and environmental allergens.

"Based on this study, compounds in broccoli sprouts have a very potent effect in boosting the airway's self-defense system against oxidative stress," explained lead researcher Dr. Marc A. Riedl, an assistant professor at the University of California Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine"

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

I'll third the recommendation for broccomax. I have had horrible allergies in the past but now my worst days are easily manageable.

Another thing that helps a ton is taking Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). When I am really bad, a tablespoon of ACV mixed with water clears up my sinuses within 15-30 minutes.

OMG is right. For nasal sinus problems the GFSE spray works great. Here is a good product that has GFSE and Vitamin C.
NutriBiotic Nasal Spray

For itchy eyes I use a homemade concoction that I got out of a cleansing book. It really is great. It is a mixture of Water, RAW honey, and ACV. It stings for a second but it really clears up your eyes. BTW this is also great for anyone you know who has cataracts or glaucoma.

Formula: 5 parts (measures) distilled water
2 parts best grade of honey (RAW)
1 part pure apple cider vinegar (Raw and Unfiltered - Bragg's is a good brand)

So Broccomax and ACV internally take care of most of the symptoms but for the occasional itchy eye or nose congestion I use those above.

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Post by zixcreator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:00 am

Most allergist wil state the first step is avoidance.

I would start out with going to Walmart and getting a HEPA filter. They cost about $80. Put it in the room where you sleep or spend the most time. You don't need to run it all the time just when you're in that room. Give it a couple weeks before you pass any judgement on it. Chances are good that if you have allergies to pollens (seasonal allergies) you are also allergic to dust. This is all the more reason to get a filter and put it in your bedroom and use it year round. Also make sure you change your bed linens regularly.

The Hepa filter has other benefits besides allergies. The air inside a house is much more toxic than the air outside the house. That's because of all the man made substances that are inside. Plastics, paints, varnishes, carpet fibers etc. etc. All these substances put toxins in the air. We have no real idea how bad these things really are but I suspect they end up ruining our health in the long run.

We worry too much about the quality of food and water we consume but often forget we take in more air in a lifetime than anything else! Breathing high quality air is important to.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 am

I agree that a filter will help but there is more to allergies than this. It is an immune disorder and such I think there are certain therapies that address the underlying causes. Avoidance is good but it can only do so much since such minute doses can elicit an allergic reaction. There also seems to be enough correlation between colon & liver health and allergies. There is a lot of people over at curezone.org that claim they have relieved their allergies through cleanses and liver flushes. This would seem to make sense because a lot of your immune system exists in the digestive tract.

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 am

While on the subject of air purifiers ... :D

FWIW, I bought 3 Austin Air Purifiers for my house about 10 years ago (that are now in storage thanks to BroccoMax, lol).

I also have my IQAir Purifier that is in my bedroom but collecting dust though, lol.

The cost to benefit ratio of the Austin Air Purifiers use to be one of the best.

The IQ Air Purifier is a lot more expensive but it's filter is even better than almost all other purifiers as it "has a micro-particle retention rate up to 100 times higher than a regular HEPA."

Link for IQ Air Purifier = http://www.greenandmore.com/iqair-air-p ... ?googprodf

Link for Austin Air Purifier = http://www.airpurifiers.com/products/austin-air/

These two Air Purifiers are some of the best you can buy ... or at least they use to be.

The way I use to use them is turn it on when I'm away from the house and then turn it off when I come back home. That way, you don't have to hear the humming sound of an air purifier.