Should I pay for hair therapy at a clinic or buy my own laser?

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

mlanc82
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: none

Should I pay for hair therapy at a clinic or buy my own laser?

Post by mlanc82 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I have done a quick scan of the previous topics but not sure if this has already been asked. Apologies if it has.

Some background; I have suffered from hair loss for the past 10 years now, it was gradual over the first year but now it seems to have settled at a pretty constant level (mainly at the front of my head as with typical female pattern balding). There has been no improvement but no increased hair loss.

I went to a clinic for hair analysis and was told that my scalp is in pretty good condition in so much as the hair looks healthy and didn't look transparent at the root. I was told that the main reason my hair wasn't growing back was because of blocked follicles which I could see in large number on the analysis video feed. It was suggested that I undergo a laser hair treatment as this would unblock hair follicles and lead to practically full hair recovery.

I would love to trust the clinic but it does seem too good to be true, plus it is a lot of money (more than £3k for 6 months).

Firstly, does what what they say sound realistic? From my attempts to search for reviews this sounds like sales patter.

Secondly, I have noticed that you can buy lasers for home use (i.e. laser comb) for a few hundred pounds, that is considerably cheaper than what I was quoted by the clinic. Is there any benefit of going to a clinic over buying the laser myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Should I pay for hair therapy at a clinic or buy my own laser?

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi there, and welcome.

In my view, get yourself the laser product you can get and use it at home. I personally use one of OverMacheGrande's hand made helmets with 300 diodes. For me, it has worked well to maintain.

HailKatherine
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Laaserminox combined treatment (lasercomb and minoxidil spray)

Post by HailKatherine » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:59 am

I went to a clinic for a while but it's not as convenient as doing it yourself at home. And it's much more expensive cause you have to have the appointment quite often for it to work. All low level laser therapy products for home use and clinic use may cause shedding. That's why I never wanted to use the helmet. I didn't want my hair to start shedding from the good areas if you know what I mean. With the comb you can apply the laser just on the spot where it's needed. Also a good thing is to use low percentage minoxidil along with the laser treatment. At least for me it works. I use laserminox combined treatment because I didn't want to pay too much for the comb. I know some of them are horribly overpriced even though they have the same quality tests and they do the same thing. This one is much cheaper. I was quite happy to find it. At the end of the day everyone is different. Regime that works for me might not work for others.. That's why you have to try and find the right one for you. Good luck everyone..

future is with LLLT
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood VII
Treatment Regimen: 5% minoxidil 2 times daily plus 20 minutes LLLT full head device with 378 made by myself as I am an electronic engineer.

Post by future is with LLLT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Definitely buy your own laser device - MPB will never go away and you will have to treat it every day....
Don't bother with laser combs - they simply don't work with MPB.
They usually have only 1 laser diode 19mW so it equals roughly to only 4 standard 5mW diodes.
To provide sufficient stimulation of 4J/cm2 for 20 minutes a day - you would have to spend hours on end combing your scalp with a laser comb - its coverage is only 4cm2.
don't buy anything under 100 diodes is my advise....and they should be spaced 1 cm apart...so it depends on your bald area.
combine with DHT blockers and minoxidil and you are on your way to hair....
Don't believe anyone who says it does not work - there is a forum "hairlosstalk" and it is full of idiots who slam anyone only mentioning LLLT.