LLLT with brown skin?

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

RonHos
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Finasteride, LLLT

LLLT with brown skin?

Post by RonHos » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 am

Hi Guys,

I've been using a 180 diode LLLT helmet for about a year. I've gradually upped the number of diodes, from 80, as well as treatment times and now stand at roughly 30-40min 3X week. I've held this regimen for I'd say 4 or 5 months.

Sometimes I'm nearly certain I see results and other times not so much. I'm not really ready to make a judgment yet, but here's my question. Does anyone have any idea about dosage compensation for skin pigmentation? I'm technically a mulatto. My skin is medium brown and people sometimes think I'm Cuban or Brazilian. I tan extremely quickly, and can burn in the sun on the most sensitive areas like nose and shoulders. On the Fitzpatrick Skin Tone Scale I'd guess I'm about a IV.

I'm fairly certain that to achieve a given effect, having darker skin would require a larger energy dose. I just don't know how to approach the issue besides just blindly winging it? Any ideas or info?

Thanks.

sonal
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Treatment Regimen: lllt 3x a week, super zix II 2x daily

Re: LLLT with brown skin?

Post by sonal » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:40 am

hi, i am an indian and i was actually concerned about the opposite, since startimng lllt i am seeing more hair thinning, maybe my skin is abosorbing more light befcause it is darker? would love to hear an update from you.

future is with LLLT
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood VII
Treatment Regimen: 5% minoxidil 2 times daily plus 20 minutes LLLT full head device with 378 made by myself as I am an electronic engineer.

Post by future is with LLLT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:23 pm

LLLT does nothing to your skin - it just penetrates deep and stimulates what's below surface - hair follicles..
no tanning, now discoloring either....20 daily sessions are a breeze...

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:22 pm

20 daily sessions? Which device exactly are you using? :shock:

Hairisgoodforu
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Treatment Regimen: Coal tar shampoo .5% (net concentration)
Clobetasol Propionate foam .05% (three days every two months)
Pyrithione zinc shampoo 1%

Post by Hairisgoodforu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:24 pm

It is much easier to determine whether or not lllt is working if your hair loss comes with other symptoms, like itching or soreness on the scalp. That way, if the other symptoms are treated with lllt, it is safer to assume that the disorder is being treated.

Because eumelanin absorbes red spectrum light, it is an unfortunate truth that lllt will be less effective in people who produce more eumelanin. Eumelanin, as the bio/ med inclinded will know, is a brown pigment ( the other is pheomelanin, which is a red pigment). So the more eumalinin present, the less adminstered red light will reach the target area. Pheomelanin on the other hand, reflects red, and has no deviating effect on Lllt. Red heads and albinos are in luck.

It is probably possible to counteract thr effect of eumelanin to achieve an active dose of red light, but this will be difficult, as the dose has an upper limit before becoming inactive again. One would have to find a dose just strong enough to counter the eumelanin without overshooting.