Need Help Calculating Treatment Time Please

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

lazergirl
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: LLLT 3X per week
Nizoral 1% 3X per week
Foligen and Emu Oil nightly

Need Help Calculating Treatment Time Please

Post by lazergirl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 am

Hi!

I've had some loss due to a surge in Testo (yes, this is the kind of thing that happens to Women at my age). My levels are normal again now and am trying to recoup.

With the help of Jeff Stanifer over at Super Grow Lasers (formerly LaserMax) and the kind advise of Dr.Maricle my husband put together a unit for me.

It has 120 5mW (3.5-4.5mW actual I'm told) uncollimated diodes in a five panel array similar to the Sunetics Model G (see photo).

I've seen the formulas for calculating exposure time but I'm afraid I'm really bad at math.

Could someone please help me figure out how long I should be using the unit to get the required 3-6 joules per square inch (in some simple form: like every M-W-F for 15 mins, etc)?

Also interested in your opinions on the wet hair vs dry hair "controversy".

Thank you, thank you!
Lazergirl
Attachments
laserheadsm.jpg
laserheadsm.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 3969 times

Joanne
Seasoned Poster

Re: Need Help Calculating Treatment Time Please

Post by Joanne » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey Lasergirl,

Kudos for getting personal attention from Dr Maricle. You should be in good hands and maybe can help the rest of us.

Conventional wisdom was recommending about 20 min/ 2-3 times per week. This was an "on-average" kind of estimate. There was a discussion about whether hair/skin color would affect the amount of time someone should laser and there were conflicting opinions.

On the one hand, some studies showed that fair skin/hair would absorb more laser energy more quickly ... and thus risk reaching the bio-inhibitory levels sooner. On the other hand, Dr Maricle posted on "Regrowth" that when fair haired/skinned people didn't respond in their studies, they'd increase the time.

We never got a definitive answer ... and to this day, as a fair skinned/light haired person I'm still not sure if I should be lasering for 15 min or 25 min 2-3 times a week.

If you or your husband are in contact with Dr. Maricle, maybe you can help sort this out? I know there are a couple of posters here and on Regrowth wondering the same thing.

BTW ... Jeff and Dr Maricle are both in Houston ... are they working together?

lazergirl
Treatment Regimen: LLLT 3X per week
Nizoral 1% 3X per week
Foligen and Emu Oil nightly

Post by lazergirl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Joanne wrote:Hey Lasergirl,

Kudos for getting personal attention from Dr Maricle. You should be in good hands and maybe can help the rest of us.

Conventional wisdom was recommending about 20 min/ 2-3 times per week. This was an "on-average" kind of estimate. There was a discussion about whether hair/skin color would affect the amount of time someone should laser and there were conflicting opinions.

On the one hand, some studies showed that fair skin/hair would absorb more laser energy more quickly ... and thus risk reaching the bio-inhibitory levels sooner. On the other hand, Dr Maricle posted on "Regrowth" that when fair haired/skinned people didn't respond in their studies, they'd increase the time.

We never got a definitive answer ... and to this day, as a fair skinned/light haired person I'm still not sure if I should be lasering for 15 min or 25 min 2-3 times a week.

If you or your husband are in contact with Dr. Maricle, maybe you can help sort this out? I know there are a couple of posters here and on Regrowth wondering the same thing.

BTW ... Jeff and Dr Maricle are both in Houston ... are they working together?
Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply. So much for all these virile men jumping to our rescue (lol)!

From everything I've read 20 minutes 2 times a week (or maybe 15 minutes X3) should be safe. I think going under the maximum exposure time is much better than going over. I can't help but smile when people say that LLLT doesn't work because when they used their 450 diode glued-on-their-head helmet for 40 minutes 3 times a week they had a major shed. I called all over the city and could not find a single clinic that used a machine with more than 150 diodes. Most of their programs called for exposure times of between 15-30 minutes twice a week. It would just be so nice to have an figure based exactly on my particular machine.

I'm not sure about the light vs dark hair issue but logically it seems that lighter hair/skin should be able to tolerate more LLLT. If I'm remembering high-school physics correctly (and it's been a loooong time!) dark colors absorb photons while light colors reflect them. Therefore if you have dark hair you should need less exposure to gain the same benefit as someone with light hair. This of course is not empirical fact, it just "seems" right. But this may just be academic and in practice would only adjust the actual treatment time by a few minutes (just my best guess again).

As far as advice from Dr.Maricle is concerned; I wrote to him and asked him about calculating treatment time. He said he'd get back to me (let you know when he does). I think the only connection between he and Jeff is that his company supplies the diodes for Jeff's company. Jeff by the way is a good guy and very reputable.

BTW: What do you think about LLLTing with wet hair?

Best,
Lazergirl

qwerty4102003
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by qwerty4102003 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I've always lasered with wet hair coming right out of the shower........