OMG technical design based questions

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: minox/sawpalmetto/fo-ti solution
tricomin

OMG technical design based questions

Post by 1001001 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

I am about a year away from a degree in biomedical engineering so I have a solid background in science, however my focus is on biomolecular engineering, which means my electrical engineering is relatively poor and I need some questions answered before I build an LLLT device.

1. How durable are the azix 650nm 5mw diodes? How sensitive are they to static electricity? How sensitive are they to slight fluctuations in electrical current/voltage? How long will they function before burning out?

How likely is it that they will not completely burn out, but will become damaged and project a beam more similar to an LED than a laser diode?

Should I dissipate extra voltage/current to ground running it through a resistor?

Has anyone been able to (or attempted to) find the power loss of the laser beam over distance in standard conditions?

I have heard seen the power estimates of 3-6J/cm^2, but I have not yet seen which studies the estimates came from. I have access to most major scientific journals and research articals, so I would be able to look at the specifics of nearly any study. I would like to see exactly where the estimates came from and if they are based on animal or human models, how effectiveness was measured etc... OMG maybe could post exactly which studies he got the estimate from.?

The 40,000 dollar machine only uses 107 diodes, and it appears to be at a distance greater than 1.5cm (angle of incidence appears to still be approximately 90 degrees), which would dissipate the power further relative to OMG design. At that price, the manufacturers are more concerned about reputation rather than making a relatively small amount more on each machine, so why is the power lower???

I am still trying to figure out what causes the soreness from the zone rotation design... The hypothesis that it is exercising your scalp muscles is completely ridiculus because of the fact that you have no muscle tissue on your scalp! still trying to figure that one out... ideas? ( I also think I saw OMG has begun to recommend against zone design)?

Is there anywhere I can get the unfocused laser diodes with a lense to control the amount of dispersion of the beam?

anybody have ideas to part the hair other than the comb bristles? has anybody tried anything else to solve that problem?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Re: OMG technical design based questions

Post by Anxious1 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:53 pm

yes there is muscles under the scalp, both large ones such as the galea, and also erector pili muscles that attach to each hair, enabling them to stand up straight when u r cold etc.

jksl
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Emu Oil
Low Level Laser Therapy
Revita Shampoo

Post by jksl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeah, i thought it was common knowledge that there are muscles under the scalp..

Occasional Poster
tricomin

Post by 1001001 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Sorry man, the galea is not a muscle. There are no major muscles on the scalp. There are only very very small amounts of smooth muscle on the scalp in the form of vascular smooth muscle and arrector pili, but in the sense that most people consider muscle tissue ( Striated skeletal muscle) there is no muscle tissue.

When was the last time YOU experienced fatigue in any of your smooth muscle tissue from delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)? Unless you have no idea what this means or you are physiologically quite abnormal, the answer is NEVER.

Smooth muscle has the slowest contraction speed (most efficient) and it is a graded contraction. This is as opposed to striated muscle which has the fastest contraction speed and is an all or nothing muscle twitch. It takes many of these muscle twitches to produce a sustained muscle contraction (tetanus) and eventually, this can produce DOMS and fatigue in the striated muscle.

Now, smooth muscle can be made to contract by hormones and paracrines, however the amount needed (or the size of an unrelated parasympathetic physiological response) would be extraordinarily tremendous and other things would be hurting a lot more than the DOMS of this very very small amount of smooth muscle tissue.

This is why soreness from exercising "scalp muscles" with anything is COMPLETELY ridiculus!

I hope you have learned something, because I sure haven't yet. Hopefully I can get some help with the questions I asked...

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

whether its striated or skeletal muscle, its still muscle, hence the word muscle in the name. just because one doesnt contract as much doesnt stop it from being a muscle. if it wasnt a muscle, how would we be able to move our eyebrows?

i dont need a lesson on anatomy/physiology, i did that subject yrs ago, and am now going into 3rd yr sybjects in my medical science degree.

Occasional Poster
tricomin

Post by 1001001 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:17 pm

You are obviously a liar. If you had any kind of science or engineering background you would display an understanding of this. You thought the galea was a muscle!

You don't seem to understand the differences between different types of muscle and the implications.... How is it even possible to think that the muscles you use to move your face are located on your scalp? They are facial muscles...if you can't understand from the word, it means muscles of your face. Muscles on your face move things on your face. Your eyebrows are on your face.

You seem to think that the only difference is in the amount of contraction... this is not just oversimplified; it's outright wrong! (even after I gave you the definition of it, you still couldn't interpret it correctly enough to put it together)

Go back to school. Go read a book. Pretend you are smart. I really don't care. I'm done with you.

I came to this forum for help on things I don't know much about, don't have experience with or would save myself hours of research by asking people who have already looked into it...not to spend my time dispelling fallacies.

Anybody else? Is this guy just some loser who pretends and argues for kicks? Is he known for this?

I'm losing confidence in this forum.

I think OMG has done several things right, has some experience and despite his lack of a science/engineering background may have been clever enough to comprehend well enough to put everything together.

I would appreciate any help or intelligent responses.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 am

lol, muscle to control something has a muscle to pull it on the opposite side, thats how the muscles under the scalp move the eyebrows. i AM a medical science student who has spent yrs on this and another hairloss forum, i go to QUT in Brisbane australia, and i am going into 3rd yr.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:12 am

but whats happening because of lasers is kinda unknown, it also increases atp, blood circulation, increases vaso dilation, etc. i dont see what i did to warrant such a rude response, so ur obviously just a jerk.

nodak8
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by nodak8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 am

1001001, you're less likely to get responses from many people when you use insult other posters. Technical knowledge is an asset which you certainly seem to have, and I congratulate you on that, but people skills go hand in hand with technical skills in my experience.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:14 pm

The hypothesis that it is exercising your scalp muscles is completely ridiculus because of the fact that you have no muscle tissue on your scalp
There are only very very small amounts of smooth muscle on the scalp in the form of vascular smooth muscle and arrector pili, but in the sense that most people consider muscle tissue ( Striated skeletal muscle) there is no muscle tissue.
so theres no muscle on the scalp. then theres a small amount of muscle on the scalp. What 'people' classify as muscle is irrelavant, smooth and skeletal muscle r both forms of muscle. if smooth muscle is not muscle then how does it propell food thru the GIT. how does it contract and relax our iris.

all i said is that their IS muscle in the scalp, and there is. U corrected me and said that theres not, then u said theres only a small amount of smooth muscle. a small amount of smooth muscle is still muscle. and theres alot of exercises u can do other than LLLT to exercise them, i dont know if if helps with hairloss, but theres alot of talk about exercises used to rectify skull enlargement and reducing the subcutaneous fat layer. which again is just a theory on hairloss , and i dont necessarory believe it, but thats what we do here, talk about different theories and try and find new things to try.

Occasional Poster
tricomin

Post by 1001001 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Nobody?

Is this forum becoming inactive?

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster

Post by Joey Ramone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

It does seem like the laser gurus have headed for the hills.

Not sure what's going on there.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:52 pm

I think one of the problems is no one really knows what to say these days. Certain folks thought they had all the answers with LLLT but things seem to be changing once again..on lengths of time...# of diodes...etc etc.

I'll see if we can get someone..with the expertise..to respond to questions on LLLT here.

Occasional Poster
tricomin

Post by 1001001 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:47 am

Why are posts being deleted from this topic?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Because they have nothing to do with the topic..if you'd like more info- pm me.