Pulsing lasers

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

LaCie
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: LLLT (3 times/week)
Finisteride (5mg/day)

Pulsing lasers

Post by LaCie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:18 am

Is there someone in this forum who pulse their helmet lasers? Gaunitz is apparantly pulsing their lasers at 9KHz and I was wondering if this is indeed better or not. Can anyone recommend a device to enable pulsing?

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Pulsing lasers

Post by OverMachoGrande » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, to get a large amount of diodes to pulse, it would allegedly be about a thousand bucks OUR COST to do it -therefore taking our laser devices and my laser helmets out of the affordable range!

There was someone that I was in touch with that thought that he might be able to do it for about $25, but I haven't heard from him in six months so I'm assuming he was unsuccessful. I just don't think it's possible to do it cheaply.

When the other forum we used to post in was really busy and had a lot of actual contributors, like clockwork people would say that they could do it easy via blah blah blah method, and it NEVER panned out.

I do think it'd be a benefit, though, although HOW MUCH of a difference I'm not sure. The lasers are pretty damn effective as they are, and I'm not sure how much pulsing would increase the results. I could see how it might SPEED UP results, but I think non-pulsing lasers over an extended time period would do the same.

It is something I'd definitely be interested in trying, though, and obviously the science is behind it. The key is getting the greatest biostimulation, and that's done with diodes that are 5mW diodes or less and pulsed. If I find that guy's email, I'll follow up with him. I have people to make it in china, and I can make it backwards compatible with all of the existing helmets out there.

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by Joanne » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:01 pm

OMG,

Wasn't this something Dr Maricle was looking into many months ago ... an affordable modulater for the DIY laser devices? Do you know what happened with that? He's kind of disappeared on these sites ... unfortunately. It was great getting his direct input .... where'd he go?

hermann
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Treatment Regimen: 2xED Capillogain

Post by hermann » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 am

Pulsing discussion was supported from jpmarko, Regrowth.com Member:
Speaking of Gaunits, their technology uses pulsed lasers that have a frequency of about 9 kHz and is supposed to resonate with the mitochondria of the cells and really enhance regrowth. All you really need is something called a frequency generator that you hook up to your lasers. Then you make them pulse by setting it to the right frequency. While their clinic isn't mainstream in that they use 635 instead of 650, their regrowth pretty much beats other clinics when I was looking into them. Their technology comes from Australia and has actually been around for a while. It'd probably be a good idea to experiment with since it's so promising.

The Aixiz laser modules exist of a laser diode and current control adjusted for this diode.
If a 9kHz frequency is possible with a timer module to be designed/placed between voltage input and current control.
Just switching on and off the power supply does not guarantee that the current control in the module can follow fast enough.

Also to be discussed: AIxiz is 5mW output in DC mode, with a frequency of 9kHz it is not defined what is the relation of on/off times. If it is 50%/50% we have half power output, if it is 10%/90% then it is 10% power compared to permanent DC mode.
OR if you want the same average output power you have to drive the module with higher voltages
By the way, pulsed mode is usual for lasers. But need suggestions from the manufacturer about overdrive voltages.

Then I would follow the pulsing discussion if we had more evidence of its success. In medical journal articles ...

My personal opinion is that Gaunitz differentiates from other LLLT hair companies with pulsing and frequency (635nm) for marketing reasons.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 am

hermann wrote:My personal opinion is that Gaunitz differentiates from other LLLT hair companies with pulsing and frequency (635nm) for marketing reasons.
...And we've seen how much they can PUSH that with the fake poster a few months back that spammed all the forums, so I'm very inclined to agree with you. Also, we know that their 635nm diodes are used simply because that's what is used in the original version of there laser machines -which is for muscle treatment or something, and not at all because it's a "magic diode" like the spammer proclaimed. They never did any "research" for what is best with hair loss... they just modified an existing machine, it works because it's not too powerful (doesn't use really high powered diodes or anything) and in the right wavelength area, and they ensure that the customer has a clean scalp, etc when they use it. Oh, and they make sure to take "good pictures".

Had any of us used high quality cameras like that with our before/after pictures -and in ambient room light instead of directly below bright bathroom mirror lights- then we, too, would have photos that were AT LEAST as good. I'm looking forward to getting an SLR camera because I'm going to get some good before/after pictures soon of some balding friends that I have.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

LaserKid
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by LaserKid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Are there any other laser clinics/devices which pulse except for Gaunitz?

The Gaunitz device is the only one I have found, and lets be honest they are getting the best regrowth results I have seen. I've seen a video of this guy who was a drummer in a band who has gone from about an NW5 or worse back to a NW2 or better. I know they use minox and fin as well, but hell, so do most other clinics and they aren't getting the results these guys seem to be getting. Maybe there is something in the pulsing?

johnsp
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other

Post by johnsp » Sat May 29, 2010 11:00 pm

pulsing is not the reason they are receiving results. the combination of the products and the amount of stimulation that they are using on their subject clients exceeds what other clinics generally are prepared to do.
In my clinic I am using a 645NM 90 diode hood machine, all my in clinic clients are and have received better results than any I have witnessed. My clients who have purchased their own machines either flat panel or hooded models have even better results as they can use their machines as often as they like. Under my process we stop using minoxidil at between 6 and 12 months so the results remain permanent. My DHT blockers are as effective as Fin or Prop without the nasty side-effects and are suitable for women.
check out what I have to offer www.thelaserclinic.com.au/products