Another cool 'visor' design, thanks to OMG and Embryo

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

ironhalo
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Min

Another cool 'visor' design, thanks to OMG and Embryo

Post by ironhalo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 pm

First off, I'd like to say THANKS to OMG for the vast wealth of info on overmachogrande.com. It's obvious how much work you and others have put in over the years, and you've built a very solid site to showcase off all that hard work. Bravo!! I originally started looking into LLLT as a pre-op and post-op treatment for the FUE transplant I'm going to have done in 2 weeks. After stumbling onto OMG's site, a whole new world was opened up to me. So grateful for dedicated dudes like him and all the others who do quality research and design and post in forums.

So I decided to start off for now with a 100 diode device, and modeled mine off of Embryo's .33 Messiah on OMG's site. I went two-tone with the foam to give it a little style, and I spent a decent amount of time on the soldering/heatshrinking/braiding. So far I'm really pleased with it. Eventually I will either make my own full helmet, or just buy a blank OMGMessiahII and build it out. But this little "visor" type design will get me by for now. It's been affectionately nicknamed the "Laser Penguin" :D

I used the standard Aixiz diodes, and the MeanWell “RS-35-3.3” power supply. I have it adjusted up to 3.4V coming right off the power supply, which is delivering a solid 3.2V at the diodes. At this voltage, the whole visor is pulling 1.75 Amps, which means each of the 98 diodes is pulling about 18mA. This thing is dumping out a TON of light for its small size and low cost!

Fun project, I must say. Thanks again to everyone who's come before me...