the curious case of jambap button (my 9 month laser update)

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

jambap
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: 80 Diode Laser Helmet 20 mins, 3 x per week

the curious case of jambap button (my 9 month laser update)

Post by jambap » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Hey guys, I finally found you! After I getting "that link" to this website telling me that it's the new home for laser users, I couldn't find any discussion on lasers. I kind of stopped looking as I got busy with work and stuff until I finally decided to explore the site a bit more and realised you're all posting in the LLLT's very own forum, and lo and behold LLLT threads aplenty! It's great to see you guys are all still together and I've got quite a bit of reading to catch up on.

My first contribution to this forum will be my 9 month laser helmet update and I'm happy to report that as more time has passed, the younger I've been looking. I've been reporting pretty positive results from the outset, but I can confirm that things have only continued to get better with time. Before I started I was slipping deeply into NW3 territory but the lasers are clawing me back to a solid NW2 and beyond. For the last 4 years, due to my steady decline, I had to style my hair stuck down to my scalp (think Clark Kent) to try and make it look as solid as possible. Now, after 9 months of lasering I can finally start to blowdry my hair the way I used to, that is, to have it sticking up in the air, as it's now thick enough not to have the light shining right through. That is a significant improvement and the rapidity of this reversal makes me highly optimistic for the next 12 months. I have been slowly weaning myself off minox which I have always been very attached to as it had been the only thing just about keeping the hair in my head. I think I'm at the stage now where I can drop it altogether and not worry about any sheds too severe to make any noticeable difference. So, at the risk of sounded like an alchi, once I finish this bottle, it'll be my last.

So, in a nutshell, it's probably old hat, but the lasers continue to be only truly effective treatment against hairloss, certainly that I have ever used. My next update will be in December and I'm pretty sure it'll be more good news. Cheers guys!

LaserKid
Regular Poster

Re: the curious case of jambap button (my 9 month laser update)

Post by LaserKid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:04 am

Hey, congratulations on your results!

I notice you're using an 80 diode helmet. Do you have the 80 diodes spread over your entire scalp or are you using zones to treat the problem areas with gutter-guard spacing?

jambap
Occasional Poster

Post by jambap » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks Laserkid, yeah it's a device that needs moving 3 times for full coverage. I put up pictures of it in our last hangout, see the link but note that the pics of my device are further down the page, the first ones are of DoctorLaser's device.

http://252fwww.regrowth.com/hairloss-fo ... 860#130510

LaserKid
Regular Poster

Post by LaserKid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:35 am

Cool! I'm hopefully gonna build something similar in size and use zones rather than a full coverage device just to make sure this thing works for me. If it does then I'll definitely upgrade to a full helmet.

I'm actually quite excited about starting this thing, can't wait to see my results. Just gotta wait for my diodes to turn up, damn UK postal strikes are delaying me big time.

One more question, how do you ensure you do not get any overlap when switching zones? I wouldn't want some areas to be getting too much exposure.

NeverQuit
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by NeverQuit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:12 am

Jambap...welcome,
Some questions for you:
1)Did you notice an improvement right out of the gate? Or did it get any worse or did you get shedding before it got better?

If so....what months?

2) Which minox are you on and how often?

3) If you could detail your protocol for us....are you taking anything else..do you shampoo before, mag oil, clay, minox after/before...etc...?

4) Are your sessions 20min total or 20min per zone?

I am especially interested as I was planning on weaning off the minox poison as you are...only I am on month 6.5 with 30% less hair and density and ZERO signs of improvement- which makes it a bad time to stop. Sooooo jealous of your results, but happy for your dude. I'm at a loss as to why I'm not responding....no pun intended

jambap
Occasional Poster

Post by jambap » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Hey Laserkid, to answer your question, I'm afraid I have no sure way of not overlapping, in fact, I am sure there is some overlapping going on. But what can I say? I try my best to align the next position of lasers beyond the position of the first, but I know I can't do it precisely. But I've still been getting good results even in the margins where the overlap would take place, so I'm really not stressing much over that. Until I start to notice detrimental effects of the overlap, I'll just keep using my laser helmet the way I am now. So good luck with your regimen, oh and I'm in the UK too, so understand your postal frustrations.

Hey Neverquit, in answer to some of your questions please use the links to where I've given detailed feedback on my progress from my 3 month and 6 month update.

1)Did you notice an improvement right out of the gate? Or did it get any worse or did you get shedding before it got better?
http://252fwww.regrowth.com/hairloss-fo ... =1&t=23461

2) Which minox are you on and how often?
I use Kirkland generic, but in Ozbrew form which is with 10ml of DMSO added. Now I use minox in the morning once every 4 days or so. Once I finish the current bottle, I'll be off it for good.

3) If you could detail your protocol for us....are you taking anything else..do you shampoo before, mag oil, clay, minox after/before...etc...?
http://252fwww.regrowth.com/hairloss-fo ... =1&t=24131

4) Are your sessions 20min total or 20min per zone?
20 mins per zone, ie. 1 hour session

So I'm sorry to hear you're at month 6 and not seeing results. I think you must stick at it because for a number of laser users, they didn't see results up until as many as 12 months. I can also confirm that my best and most visible results have been from 6-9 months. For the first 6 months only I was the one who was aware of the difference the lasers were making because I scrutinize my hair so much, but from months 6-9 my friends and family were starting to notice the improvement. So don't stress about it, I really feel confident that you will start to get noticeable results, and once they start, there'll be no looking back. As for weaning off minox, I recommend you keep using it until the lasers have taken you to a level of thickness that you think won't be lost from the post minox shed. Imagine it like a relay race, when the runner comes round to pass the baton to the next runner, he has to make sure it's firmly in the other runner's hands before he lets go otherwise it'll fall to the ground, so for a moment, they're both holding the baton. The same idea applies to going from minox to lasers. You want to make sure that the lasers firmly have a grasp on your hairloss before you let go of the minox. If you drop the minox too early you may have the nasty scenario of a shed that will make things look really ugly, and may slow down the lasers process of taking control. I'm happy to say that I'm at the stage where the lasers are fully in control and I think I can let go of the minox without my hairloss falling to the ground, if you get my analogy.
All the best with your regimen, I'm 99% sure you'll be fine.

Dr. Watt
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A

Post by Dr. Watt » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Hey Jambap & Neverquit. Aren't you guys using different systems? Perhaps your lasers are different types as well?

It seems there are several designs out there and i have not seen much talk on the difference types having potentially different results. If in fact that is the case.

NeverQuit
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Nope...I ended up ordering a pre build 250 helmet from OMG. This has come to my mind as well...what if there was such a thing as "bad" or "non-calibrated" lasers out there? I don't think this is possible, but we are banking our heads on this one device so...what if?

It's funny, but I almost want to spend another grand and buy the device from someone who has grown back 30% of their hair! It would rule everything out. :)

It's only been 7 months....I'm going to give it 12-14 before I consider going on the fin or just throwing in the towel. Way to many posters are seeing results.

Finally....now that you mention it, how would I go about testing my helmet for effectiveness.

Dr. Watt
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A

Post by Dr. Watt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm

NeverQuit wrote:
Finally....now that you mention it, how would I go about testing my helmet for effectiveness.
To be honest, beyond measure the voltage I don't know. Maybe others could chime in.

On that topic, for those that understand the types of lasers, what are the options?