Supermarket Laser

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

ih67
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Supermarket Laser

Post by ih67 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:54 am

I have emailed overmachogrande a couple of times with no reply so perhaps he/someone else here may read this ;-)

Basicly, I had a transplant a couple of years ago which gave fantastic results, however, I want to keep the rest of my hair, especaily around the crown and have been reading hit and miss results with laser treatment.

I have had an old supermarket scanning laser rigged to a 12 volt power supply for years now that emits a single red beam that goes fro a long long distance. In fact, in my youth we spent many a happy hour shining it through people's windows etc causing mayhem but thats another story. It does travel very very far.

The question is, could this device be the start of a DIY laser treatment kit ? Could the beam be split into a few to give better coverage ?

Thanks.

ih67
Regular Poster

Re: Supermarket Laser

Post by ih67 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 pm

So nobody can help me ?

Brunz19
Seasoned Poster

Post by Brunz19 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:39 pm

I am by no means an expert on lasers (pew pew), but I do believe that is how the Hairmax Lasercomb works. They use a laser beam and split it in 9. It's also known to not be very effective in comparison too this helmets everyone uses.

I could be mistaken in all of this. I don't even now if a store scanning laser is the right kind of laser.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:41 pm

we need more info, b4 we can help u dude. LLLT is administered based on a simple equation, of joules/square cm.

their probably is a way to use it, perhaps it can be split with mirrors, but first we need to know the wavelength, and the power of it.

for e.g (and dont hold me to this)

a omg helmet is 300 x 5mW, 650 nm diodes. (power, wavelength) 1500 mW total
a lazerfish hand held is 2 x 180mW, 650 nm diodes, (i think) 360 mW total
a hairmax (the original was 1 x 5 mW, 650 nm diode, split into 9 5 mW total

and im by no means an expert, im just answering because noone else is, but b4 we can tell u if that scanner laser can be used on ur head we need to know the power of it and the wavelenght of it. if u shine it at ur head without knowing this, then ur an idiot, particularly if its an old one, who knows wat it could do to a mole or something on ur head.

basically to be split say 10 time, it would have to be of a wavelength 635 - 650nm, and a power of at least 50mW, to make a laser comb with the power of 10 x 5mw diodes.

to be split 100 times, to make some sort of coverage device (with a maze of mirrors lol) it would have to be 635-650 nm, and a power of at least 500mW.

but the best scenario would be for it to be around 300-400 mW, so it could be split into a couple of high powered lasers, because it would be very hard to split a laser beam into many more without a very intricate mirror shape in the middle.

hope this helps, and can someone else help him now, because i dont really know that much about lasers.

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:08 am

Well I am lost as I don't know how to measure power and wavelength.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:04 am

well if its red, then its going to around 600 - 700nm, i suggest u find a serial number or brand name or ID of some kind, and do a search on the net for it, because its not like u can just shine any laser at ur head and expect it to grow hair.

if u cant find out the wavelength and power of it, then u might as well forget about it. nothing to stop u putting together a helmet though, just go read overmachogrande.com

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:16 am

I have emailed the guy at overmachogrande a few times but I get no answer.

How much am I talking to make my own helmet ?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:58 pm

for the aixiz diodes, they r 3$ each, so for a coverage device u move 3 times for full coverage is around 70 x $3 = 210$

then u need wire, power supply tools etc. the cheapest u could make it for would be around $250, but i spent around $500 cos of the bad AUS - US exchange rate at the time. it just depends. $300 US for a DIY cheap one that u use for an hour,

or up to $2000 for a full coverage with 300 diodes, made by some one else, and very professional.

look at overmachogrande.com, compare movable cluster devices, with full coverage devices.

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Ok. I have looked at the laser and this is what it reads on the side:

D86B-9019-D700
No MR7257
DATE 1987-3

Can anyone interpret that ?

Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:21 pm

my 300 helmet was about 1115 made by omg

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Does anyone know what my code means ?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:30 pm

most likely it is way underpowered to be split and used for hair regrowth. all it has to do is reach a item 20cm away and bounce back to a reader, so theres no reason why it would be powerful enough.

i think u should just forget about it and make ur own.

Examples include lasers emitting light having a wavelength of about 780 nanometers (nm) which are used in compact disc players, and those emitting light having a wavelength of about 670 nm in the visible red region suitable for scanners used in supermarket checkout systems. Laser diodes emitting light having wavelengths of 820, 850 and 1300 nm are also known. The former two diodes are useful in optical data storage applications, while all have utility in optical communications for the transport of telecommunications, data and video.

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 am

Underpowered ? your joking. I can shine it out the window and it goes a long long way until it hits something.

Can someone who knows about lasers please help me from the figures I have given.

TheFunkyStumpfighter
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2%
200 diode laser helmet mon/wed/fri
Clay mon/wed/fri
5 weeks AGHC (finished 2nd week July 09)

Post by TheFunkyStumpfighter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:00 am

Yes, underpowered. A single beam, no matter how powerful it is, is still only a single beam, and more power per beam does not equal better results. Pound for pound, your laser might be more powerful than the standard 5mw lasers we use in our helmets(who knows just how powerful it is really), but it is still not nearly as powerful as a 200-400 diode helmet as a whole. Its like comparing a candle to a forest fire. Not only this, who knows what wavelength it emits, and wavelength is probably the most important spec to look for.

Honestly, the reason that youre not getting answers from one of the laser gurus around here is because youre seriously asking if you can use a vintage supermarket laser to grow hair. Its like asking if using a laser pointer from a museum gift shop will grow you hair. I agree with Anxious, keep your laser for its novelty value, but forget about using it on your scalp. If you want to use lasers as a means of maintaining or growing hair, check out OMG's website for instructions on how to make a home device, or contact one of the guys building helmets for people.
I currently use Propecia and i have a Laser comb, what do you guys suggest to use as a good daily shampoo? This HairGen is not going to grow hair cmon guys. Is Nioxin the best out there?

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:12 am

look, granted, i am not an expert, but im taking time out of my day to answer u when nobody else will, so i think thats worth something!

our diodes r 5mw and wavelength is 650 nm, ur wavelength is unknown, and power is unknown, so its pointless persuing this any further.

even if it is 500 mw power, which is bloody powerful, that can still only be split 100 times, and youd have to either have a network of mirrors, or a finely cut diamond to split it up sufficiently.

but even a 5 mw diode will shine indefinately, thats pretty much the definition of any laser.

any of the laser gurus around here r gonna tellu the same thing, which is without the power and wavelength of it, u cant do jack with it. so either find this out, or stop wasting our time. giving us the serial number doesnt help us, its ur job to track it down and find out the details, i put it in google and got nothing, wat else can we do?

ih67
Regular Poster

Post by ih67 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 am

Hey, didn't mean to cause offence. Just wanted some other hats thrown into the ring. Of course I appreciate your time taken ;-)

Just trying to avoid having to spend on something if I already have the laser I need as funds are very limited for me.

Cheers.