The Black Beast is Complete!

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

insuredbyglock
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

The Black Beast is Complete!

Post by insuredbyglock » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 am

What up Gang,

I have been lurking over the past few weeks while constructing my first helmet. Lately, the negative posts about shedding have concerned me (especially after the massive diode purchase), but it seems there are more positive results than negative and it's a bit too late at this point to go back! Plus I am already losing my hair, so I felt it was worth a shot. Go big or go home with no hair!

I wanted to thank OMG for giving me the motivation to start this project and for posting instructions, as they helped out immensely even though I had to deviate halfway through. When I combined the two halves via a shoelace, my helmet was a distorted mess. The two pieces worked great separately, but when forced together, the top lifted off my head by a few inches. I cut out the rivets from the bottom piece and built up platforms on the sides and back with extra foam. I then created tabs of velcro that attached to the rivet rim of the top piece and used that sticky goodness to hold the pieces together. It worked out perfectly and the rear tab even allowed me to attach the power cord with velcro to limit the stress on the connection.

After wire-nutting till my fingers went numb (the 16,14,12 gauge wire method resulted in a couple more layers), I used a modded computer power supply to start up the beast. I was expected the worst as I didn't test any of the connections and used all black wire for aesthetics. She powered up on the first try and the glow through my glass table was intense! Then, after a couple of minutes, the power supply gave out. My guess is the amp draw -> (350 diodes * 30 mA = 10.5 A) vs (14 A supply * 75% efficiency = 10.5 A). I ordered a 15 A 3.3V supply from TRC Electronics, assuming that will fix the issue.

Anyway, just wanted to share my latest creation with you and I look forward to posting my progress over the next year.

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: The Black Beast is Complete!

Post by hapyman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:07 am

Looks great! Good work.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 am

Its a beauty, makes mine look like %&$!, lol :)

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Hey, man... that looks GREAT!!!

I don't know why I got so lucky when I made my original one... tons of people screw up with the laces, and I know that I don't have a certain "magic touch" or anything! lol... I just got lucky!

Do you have any gray hair? If so, do medical science a favor and try to document that! Had I have done that, I would have made the nightly news. I still have gray hair, of course, but the amount is so much less now. I'm going to make a face device to see if I can document me reversing my gray hair on my beard, and I'm going to use my HD camera this time!

That sucks about the power supply, but over the summer we had a bad rash of those, too. I ordered like 30 of them, and most of them blew up the second I plugged them in, and the ones that didn't eventually all died within a couple of months!

Good luck with that! I'm sorry a few people were able to hijack the laser discussion in my absence and paint a very unaccurate picture of reality, and I know that you will be here to tell us your fantastic results after you've been using it for a while!

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

cox31rho
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by cox31rho » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:08 am

OMG,
is there an email where I can reach you. I want you to build a complete helmet for me. I tried lasermessiah@lasermesiah.com and got no response. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Rhonda

Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:42 pm

OMG is a very busy guy. He gets tons and tons of emails daily but I'm sure he will get to your email soon

insuredbyglock
Occasional Poster

Post by insuredbyglock » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I would be glad to help out medical science, but unfortunately I only have a few gray hairs and they have shown up first in my beard... Don't think I have the patience to build a handheld device to try and regain color in those 4 or 5 hairs - much easier to just yank them! If my hair ever starts to turn, though - I'm on it! Something tells me that if I continue LLLT treatments, I may keep the gray from appearing in the first place...

Peac33
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: LLLT

Post by Peac33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:20 am

hello congratulation for your helmet, it must have been a lot of work to complete to a fonctionnal stage. The hard work will be rewarded with good results i am sure of this.

Very nice black diode helmet.

Jeac3