LLLT and Minox use - OMG? JDP?

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

robster
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

LLLT and Minox use - OMG? JDP?

Post by robster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 am

Ive heard that LLLT opens calcium channels,minox is a potassium channels opener and has the opposite effect.

Ive been using minox for 8 years and have had minimal results with it (except when i used it with DMSO as in Oz Brew). Anyway im thinking of stopping minox, im not going to go cold turky on it but slowly reduce my use of it with LLLT. Can anybody else chime in as to why LLLT is not going to be potentially as good with continued minox use?

thanks,
Rob

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: LLLT and Minox use - OMG? JDP?

Post by hapyman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:29 am

I am not sure why it is bad for you but I stopped minox too. I recommend slowly weening yourself off of it though if you plan on doing it. I quit cold turkey and experienced some shedding. However things are turning around over the last few months finally.

NeverQuit
Regular Poster

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am

Robster,
To add to your post, as I'm looking to get off minox as well...I see we have 4 options:

1) Cold Turkey
2) Cut down the amount applied throughout "X" timeframe
3) Cut down on the days applied...through "X" amount of days.
4) Start by cutting minox out on LLLT days. Not sure if this would null out the "pottasium channel" theory your speaking of.

Any others?

Some thoughts:
If minox IS impeding the benefits of LLLT at what point does the LLLT kick in and minox out while your cutting back on minox. Or, would you have to get minox totally out of your system for LLLT to start working?

robster
Regular Poster

Post by robster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 am

Yes I have the same thoughts as you. Im thinking of reducing my minox usage to once or twice a week for six months and then stopping. Also definitely not using it on LLLT days any more. Ive no idea how long (if at all?) minox stays in the system.

NeverQuit wrote:Robster,
To add to your post, as I'm looking to get off minox as well...I see we have 4 options:

1) Cold Turkey
2) Cut down the amount applied throughout "X" timeframe
3) Cut down on the days applied...through "X" amount of days.
4) Start by cutting minox out on LLLT days. Not sure if this would null out the "pottasium channel" theory your speaking of.

Any others?

Some thoughts:
If minox IS impeding the benefits of LLLT at what point does the LLLT kick in and minox out while your cutting back on minox. Or, would you have to get minox totally out of your system for LLLT to start working?

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:06 pm

NeverQuit wrote:If minox IS impeding the benefits of LLLT at what point does the LLLT kick in and minox out while your cutting back on minox. Or, would you have to get minox totally out of your system for LLLT to start working?

Good question, hope Jdp is around to give it a go on this one ;)

NeverQuit
Regular Poster

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:46 pm

This is what I'm going to do unless I'm convinced otherwise and it starts today:

May current baseline is 1mm in the morning.

Month 1 - .75ml daily
Months 2-4 - .50ml daily
Month 5 - 6 switch to 2%

The rest of my life - Zero Minox.

Any thoughts?

NeverQuit
Regular Poster

Post by NeverQuit » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Here is a thought...

If minox and LLLT cancel each other out and I've been on LLLT for 4 months THEN this would make the minox non effective for the last 4 months as well as LLLT. If this is true then it would explain my major shed at 4-5 months in, right on track with the typical timeline of shedding after quitting minox.

LLLT made the minox ineffective which would be the same as going cold turkey off the stuff which would explain a major shed at 4-5 months. Now taking this theory one step further....If I went cold turkey off minox now as I see it, I would not have any additional effects as my scalp has already thought I went off it 4 months ago.

Additionally, any further use of both LLLT and minox at the same time, regardless of the dose would null each other out giving me zero results on both sides. Which would lead me to the conclusion of not weening off minox, but going cold turkey would offer better and faster results.

What do you think?

robster
Regular Poster

Post by robster » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:38 am

I know its a bit of a dilemma isnt it. Im leaning towards going cold turkey as I really want to give LLLT the best shot I can.

Dr. Watt
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A

Post by Dr. Watt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:48 pm

NeverQuit wrote:Here is a thought...

LLLT made the minox ineffective which would be the same as going cold turkey off the stuff which would explain a major shed at 4-5 months. Now taking this theory one step further....If I went cold turkey off minox now as I see it, I would not have any additional effects as my scalp has already thought I went off it 4 months ago.
I am wondering the same thing. I guess the important question would be, does Minox Cancel out LLLT or is it simply that LLLT disturbs the potassium channel function and cause a shed? I am not sure about this. Do folks with a background understand the mechanics here?

robster
Regular Poster

Post by robster » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:39 am

Just wanted to bump this up for some more opinions.

Im still a bit uncertain about the minox being bad issue when using LLLT. It seems that many LLLT clinics, for example Gaunitz use minox as part of there treatment regimen, so thats a bit of a contradiction surely?

nickknight

Post by nickknight » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. Can someone in the know fill us in on this?

jambap
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: 80 Diode Laser Helmet 20 mins, 3 x per week

Post by jambap » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:55 pm

As a laser and minox user I can say from my own experience that minoxidil DOES NOT prevent the lasers from working. I've had success while following a regimen of using both at the same time. Maybe the lasers would have worked better than if I wasn't using minox, but that kind of success would be verging on the crazy.

dmwill
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: prox-n

pomegranate 50mg 2x
grape seed extract OPC-95 100mg 1x

nizoral 1%
nano

Post by dmwill » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Is OMG still alive? I have sent him like 30 emails trying to get a helmet over the past 2 months. Anybody help get in touch?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:16 am

dmwill wrote:Is OMG still alive? I have sent him like 30 emails trying to get a helmet over the past 2 months. Anybody help get in touch?

You have got to be kidding me. Sounds like nid. Wait..they are working together...Hmmmmm

Anxious1
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by Anxious1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 pm

dude, omg is working on something. u know how geniuses are, there here for a few days, then they r locked in their rooms for a few months, only to come out when they have finshed their creation. thats wats happening here.

he'll be back here soon enough, if u cant wait, theres a few ppl selling theirs on this forum and regrowth.com.

u can have mine if u want, lol, cant use it because i get basilar migraines, and cant handle the vasodilation.

70 aixiz diodes, on a silicon pad, all wired up, and working, with a power supply. works perfectly. no hot diodes. i have it stuck on a old bike helmet, but i can take it off, to be be used as a movable cluster. only used it about 5 times, seriously.
ill even throw in some auto wire clippers, 2 rolls of wire, the rest of the silicon pad, the lens caps. $250 AUS dollars ONO
i have paypal acc. PM me if interested.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:19 am

That is absolutely no excuse for not getting back to ppl.

dmwill
Occasional Poster

pomegranate 50mg 2x

nizoral 1%
nano

Post by dmwill » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:14 am

Does this stuff work, or is it a scam? Are people turning away from it? Or most likely YMMV. (your mileage may vary). OMG doesn't post anymore. I would like to see current OMG pictures or pictures of people on it for a year or more. The whole slamming people with negative experiences is kind of suspicous. Not trying to sound like a detractor as I am going to give it a whirl. Just wondering why all the arguing and no OMG respond to my emails for an LM2.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:38 pm

YMMV (from everything I've read)

BTW..if OMG is absent because of health reasons or something..we'd have heard it by now from at least one certain person here :|

dmwill
Occasional Poster

pomegranate 50mg 2x

nizoral 1%
nano

Post by dmwill » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:48 pm

I quit minox about 3 months ago. I am going thru the shed and thinning pretty well. Coverage in the front is sucking bad. I am hoping lasers might bring that back the loss and help me maintain. I was on minox for 10 years, but couldn't take the dizzyness, breathing issues and heart racing. I used it 1x a day during the last 9 months on top and front, back 2x.

This seems like a healthier alternative. I will try this out and hope it doesnt worsen my situation. I think it might be good because of the scalp folliculitis I have, that may be choking out some growth. There is some decent science behind it, but I think it depends on where you are with your treatments and if your scalp can use this type of therapy.