Magnesium Oil questions

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

bear101
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode laser Messiah 2 (3 times a week for 20 min sessions, at least 2 days between sessions)

Magnesium Oil questions

Post by bear101 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:51 pm

1) Where is the best place to buy it? (Pure Mag Oil/Ancient Miners seem kind of expensive)
2) How long does a small bottle from Puremagoil.com last for? (can't remember if size is 8 or 16 oz)
3) Can Magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) be used as a cheap substitute?

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Re: Magnesium Oil questions

Post by hapyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:55 pm

1) PureMagOil is the highest quality but like you said it is expensive. However, it is also super saturated and delivers a lot of magnesium per spray.

2) I got the 8 oz bottle and it lasts quite awhile if you are smart with it. I usually apply 4-6 sprays. I've haven't been doing it everyday since it is a pain because you have to wash it off after 30 minutes. So my bottle has lasted a couple months and still going on about 3-4 times per week.

3) Espom salts are decent but are only a quick fix. An epsom salt bath will temporarily raise your magnesium levels but I believe a lot of that is lost to the kidneys. BTW I love epsom salt baths and would love to make it a more frequent endeavor. Makes my skin feel great but that is the sulphates I believe.

bear101
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode laser Messiah 2 (3 times a week for 20 min sessions, at least 2 days between sessions)

Post by bear101 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks hapy for your thourough answers. It might be worth it for me to get the expensive variety (mag oil) if I can stretch it out for 2-3 months. I've seen a brand (Swansons) that was around $8 or $9 per 8 oz bottle, but I'm assuming it would'nt be as concentrated so you'll end up spending the same amount in the long run. Anyone have experience with this or any other brand?

robster
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by robster » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 am

I wasnt sure how you are using the magnesium oil. Are you guys using it on your scalp before lasering?

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:07 am

I usually spray it all over my body about 30 minutes before a shower. It rinses off in the shower and then I do my LLLT session afterward. Occasionally I do spray it on my scalp and it seems to have a calming effect. Be careful at first because it can sting if you have any inflammation or broken skin.

Hairy Dawgs
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Hairy Dawgs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Quick question for hapyman. Do you have to wash the mag oil off? I just bought the stuff and although i've read how to use it, the directions don't mention washing it off.

Bear101-I bought my mag oil from puremagoil.com. I talked to the sales guy there and they explicitly say there's no benefit to buying the prehistoric vs the pacific mag oil. So, if you do buy from them, don't waste your money on the more expensive prehistoric oil. It's more expensive because (you guessed it) it's harder to extract but has the same amount of magnesium/ounce.

Robster-My understanding from using mag oil is that the magnesium helps with the ADP process (check overmachos post on ADP) and as a general wellness tool and is absorbed better being sprayed under the arms. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything on topical scalp benefits.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:37 am

Hairy Dawgs wrote:Quick question for hapyman. Do you have to wash the mag oil off? I just bought the stuff and although i've read how to use it, the directions don't mention washing it off.
I believe the website says that most of it should be absorbed after 30 minutes. You will find that the stuff can dry pretty quickly and the reason I rinse it off is that it seems to leave a pretty nasty film on my skin. Also I wouldn't want it to block any potential laser light.