Silicon laser mounting pad

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

insuredbyglock
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Silicon laser mounting pad

Post by insuredbyglock » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 am

I was looking around ebay, found AixiZ's store, and noticed they were selling a silicon laser mounting pad. I have read through overmachogrande's site and instructions though I don't remember that being mentioned anywhere. It obviously replaces the foam and makes it easier so we don't have to punch all those holes. Couple of questions though:

1) the description says the smaller holes are for routing wiring - wouldn't those be for the brush bristles?
2) with the foam, we used aluminum foil to create a mold of our head, then cut the foam to match the "bunny ears". If we do this with the silicon, which is already punched, won't we end up with less than optimal coverage since some of the holes will be cut and won't line up when re-gluing?

Thanks!

stores.shop.ebay.com/AixiZ-Service-and-International-LLC__W0QQ_armrsZ1

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: Silicon laser mounting pad

Post by hapyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:04 am

Also these silicon mounting pads don't have the same diode spacing as OMGs. OMGs design is more dense and has the lasers closer together, so you will have more diodes per square inch if you do it yourself. Those silicon pads were kind of made independent of what OMG was doing and without and communication between the two. It happened really early in the Do-it-yourself days.

insuredbyglock
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by insuredbyglock » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks hapyman, that's great to know and now makes sense as to why I didn't see it on OMG's site. Perhaps AixiZ should remove the OMG branding and statement about it being the recommended product for the OMG project.

I recently came across OMG's site while searching for reviews on LLLT and now am constructing my first helmet. It sounds like a fun project and will completely be worth it if the hair loss stops.

Does everyone still use AixiZ laser diodes? I remember seeing a couple of other offers at regrowth, but it looked like everyone started bashing the quality or arguing over tech specs.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Yeah those kind of fell off. Plus Aixiz provides a no questions asked replacement for any burnt out diodes which is pretty nice.

It is a fun project to undergo and I learned a lot putting mine together. There is some sort of satisfaction in building something like this yourself.

LaserKid
Regular Poster

Post by LaserKid » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Is there an advantage to having the diodes tightly packed together? The only reason I am asking is because if I go with the Aixiz pre-cut pad I could potentially get a full coverage device using less diodes, which = less cost. If the diodes are less densely packed together would I need to increase the treatment time?

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 pm

The amount of coverage is dependent upon the distance the diodes are from the scalp because with the diffuse lasers the light spreads the further you pull it back. However the farther you pull it back the less power dense the light becomes.

The "gutter guard" spacing that OMG came up with will have almost perfect coverage at 1-2cm. The silicon pad will leave gaps between the lasers on your scalp. These areas would not be treated directly during your session. Yet, the laser treatment does spread to surrounding areas so you wouldn't be completely up a creek if you go with the silicon pad in my opinion. However, the "gutter guard" spacing is optimal. If you have the money I would definitely try for the gutter guard arrangement. Otherwise like you said you could probably still get decent coverage with the silicon pad.