best power source for 400+ diodes?

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

shinyhead
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

best power source for 400+ diodes?

Post by shinyhead » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:07 am

Hi guys,

I have recently upgraded my helmet to 400 diodes and need to get a bigger power supply. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: best power source for 400+ diodes?

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am

You'll want to find a power supply that runs 12+ amps @ 3.3V. Certain converted computer supplies are good or you can go with a Meanwell adapter like this one:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/rs-75-3.3.shtml

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: best power source for 400+ diodes?

Post by OverMachoGrande » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 pm

AiXiZ has the answer for what you are looking for, but you have to call for them because I don't think they have them on their site. They have 3.3volt/20amp ones that are GREAT. Those are the ones I am using for my helmets now, and they have a failure rate of ZERO so far.

Also, some have found that the sometimes when you get close to about 75% of the limit of the amps of the power supply, it causes an increase in heat of the diodes. This pretty much solves this -although honestly I haven't noticed this problem at all. All I really notice is the fact that they aren't exploding like the 16.8 amp ones did! lol...

The last I checked, they were out of the 20amp ones, but the shipment should be coming in soon. Listen to me on something, though... do NOT get the ones that are marked S-50-3 on the side (those are the 16.8amp ones), and make sure you tell them that just in case they have some left in stock that they want to send you! The old S-50-3's were great, and honestly it's the one I personally use on one of my personal helmets (I have a "Hapyman" on the other!), and it's been through hell and back and still works great (stepped on, spilled on, cat-puked on YESTERDAY, etc), but all of the new ones eventually failed -if not instantly, then a couple of months later. So, just don't trust the new ones until we've been assured that all of that batch are gone. Let's let other people determine whether they are working or not for once, and let's just stay away from them for a while! lol...

-John (O.M.G.)
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...