LLLT & eye safety

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

xyion1
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

LLLT & eye safety

Post by xyion1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 am

I've got a handmade 9 diode device that I'm using with AixiZ 5mW, ~650nm modules.

Now, leaving the low module number and lack of total coverage alone for a minute (yes, I know, I should get more!), lets talk eye safety.

Obviously I don't stare directly at the device when powered on, however at times there is incidental reflection off my scalp, etc and I'd like to know if I should buy a pair of goggles or not. I'm not sure if these are considered class 3a or 3b modules; I did email Dr. Maricle asking but he hasn't gotten a chance to respond yet.

I found this vendor http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Red_ ... 18-16.html who has a pair for $40 and $50 with an OD of 2+ for ~650nm (though that drops off pretty quick looking at the chart), which would work for me. I'm hesitant to buy directly from eBay and am looking for some reputable (or at least non-shady) sites with some past history.

Another vendor http://www.lasersafetyindustries.com/Pr ... ode=35-245 has goggles that cost $230, but they protect against more than just the 650nm wavelength.

Third Vendor, $130, http://www.highlasers.com/Red-Laser-Eyewear-Glass.html

So, what do you guys use? Links to vendors would be great. Is there any particular OD I should go for, and why?

thanks!

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Re: LLLT & eye safety

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:20 am

If it is just incidental exposure you probably have nothing to worry about. I have been using my cluster for a year and haven't noticed any adverse side effects on my vision. If your diodes are focused there is more of a danger of incidental eye contact. A focused diode will cause more damage at a greater distance.

So I would said not completely necessary if you are safe and only experience a small amount of reflective energy. Otherwise you may want to get some to be safe.

xyion1
Seasoned Poster

Post by xyion1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 am

From the little I've read about retinal burns, etc it seems they are painless and you don't really know something is wrong until its really bad.

Though it doesn't sound like anybody out there is using goggles with their helmets (or combs, or anything really), I'd still like to find a reputable vendor and purchase some.

I'll email AiXiZ and ask for more information.

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:53 am

Yeah there are plenty of decent goggles out there. There is different ratings for the goggles, which will dictate exactly how much light (& what mW) will be able to penetrate them. JDP posted a bunch of different ones awhile ago so I will see if I can pull them up. Also I am sure you know this but just make sure they are rated for the wavelength we are using. Should be in a range like 600-700.

tonyj
Regular Poster

Post by tonyj » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Here is a power point Lars Hode made at the Swedish Laser-Medical Society. I think he was kinda loopy when he wrote his presentation, but it gets his idea across.

http://rapidshare.com/files/258415300/W ... _Blind.PDF

xyion1
Seasoned Poster

Post by xyion1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 am

tonyj wrote:Here is a power point Lars Hode made at the Swedish Laser-Medical Society. I think he was kinda loopy when he wrote his presentation, but it gets his idea across.

http://rapidshare.com/files/258415300/W ... _Blind.PDF
Wow, after reading that I concur with the loopy part. He does make some good points though.

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm not concerned about going blind from the laser itself, rather from complications of any retinal burning. I believe this can lead to an increased risk of glaucoma, which CAN make you blind.

I'm going to talk to my doc today, and will still pick up some glasses just to be on the safe side.