Just got diagnosed...

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

medstudent 21
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: LASERS ONLY

Just got diagnosed...

Post by medstudent 21 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 am

Just got back from the derm and she said i have psorasis, and my entire scalp is inflamed. I suppose i ahve mpb too, but she said the psoraisis is making it worse. Do you guys think LLLT with my OMG helmet will help me at all with my hairloss anymore? im begining to lose hope, but am still using the helmet.

DarkwingDuck
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: LAAAAAZZZEERRRRRZZZZZZZZ

just starting out

Re: Just got diagnosed...

Post by DarkwingDuck » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm

medstudent 21 wrote:Just got back from the derm and she said i have psorasis, and my entire scalp is inflamed. I suppose i ahve mpb too, but she said the psoraisis is making it worse. Do you guys think LLLT with my OMG helmet will help me at all with my hairloss anymore? im begining to lose hope, but am still using the helmet.
what treatments did she recommend?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/scalp- ... is/AN01177

that source lists light treatment as a possible treatment for psoriasis. I think that I too have an inflamed scalp, but nizoral every few days seems to be helping.

medstudent 21
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Treatment Regimen: LASERS ONLY

Post by medstudent 21 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:33 am

She told me to use this corticosteriod for inflamation. i used it last night and it seems to help a lot i dont itch as much. Idk, i think the lasers with his will help

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:23 pm

The lasers will help with the inflammation and the itch. The itch can take a while to fully heal and disperse. For example it took OMG 3 months to get rid of the itch fully. Unfortunately it took me much longer.

hulihoop
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hulihoop » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Hey med student,

My doctor told me in April that I had psoriasis as well. I am not sure that was the correct diagnosis as I was able to get rid of alot of the inflammation. I used the corticosteroid/anti-psoratic topical he gave me a grand total of 4 times - what a sticky, gooey mess it was. It did help after a day or two but initially made it itch more. At the same time I started the IH top 6 and I think that has had an impact on bringing my inflammation under better control. Lasers help too but at the time they were unable to deal with the inflammation alone.

I think I exacerbated my inflammation with poor choices in topicals. The one that hurt me the most was the A&G hair complex which had propylene glycol in it. It made my scalp a red, inflamed mess that felt almost like it was sunburned. I lost a lot of hair because of that. I think I have started to gain it back except perhaps in my crown. My hair is pretty long right now so it is hard to tell. I'm gonna buzz it way down soon just for kicks so I'll know more then.

I do not recommend paying $50 to try out Scalpure but I do recommend trying a home made clay topical like OMG is playing with. Add some oil to it which should be soothing to your scalp. I have been experimenting with it and if my scalp is itchy and feeling inflamed it sure helps. There is a very informative site http://www.aboutclay.com that jdp710 referenced that, if I remember correctly, talks about the benefits of clay for psoraisis. Anyway, all I am saying is you may not actually have psoriasis. A lot of doctors and derms are quick to diagnose the itching of mpb as psoraisis because they don't fully understand mpb. I'd try the clay, some soothing oils like emu or coconut, some anti-inflammatory supplements (see immortalhair.com), an all natural shampoo (like Aubrey's) and keep lasering.

Good luck!

Harie
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III

Post by Harie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 am

I would highly recommend following an anti-inflamatory diet and taking anti-inflamatory supps.

Some supplements to look into that really help with inflammation are fish oil, krill oil, Circumin, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, MSM, Boswellia Serrata, Quercetin & Vitamin B. Also may help to start using topical emu oil, grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil etc etc...Also could look into killing Demodex to help out as well with Sea Buckthorn soap/oil.

And of course, LLLT will kick inflammation's ass too. :)