Happymans ATX power supply instructions

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

thSman
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Happymans ATX power supply instructions

Post by thSman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:42 pm

Happyman,
Re your instructions on Regrowth
I dont have a green wire but I do have a single orange wire. Idont have a single purple wire either just a brown. So what Im proposing is where you have GREEN,grey,white PURPLE and blue I have ORANGE,grey,white BROWN and blue My 3.3v wires are coloured purple I can see it printed on the PCB.
I dont have an orange sensing wire either just a thinner purple one with a s+ printed on the PCB (so Im guessing this stands for sensing). On the casing it says P.G. (orange) So I tried given the variations and made an eduatcated guess as the difffering colours to what you describe and nothing!I hope I've not broken it Any Ideas??

Thanks

thSman
Occasional Poster

Re: Happymans ATX power supply instructions

Post by thSman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:29 pm

Happyman,can you shed any light on this buddy

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Sorry meant to get back to this post but it got buried. Hopefully its not broken and I suspect it is probably not because most are protected against shorts.

Some more information about your power supply model will be helpful. Company? Model #? What kind of system did it come out of? I ask this because I have heard some Dell power supplies use a different color scheme (who the hell knows why).

Here is the typical layout of a ATX power supply:

Everything I looked up on ATX says that the Green has always been the power_on, even since the earlier revisions. On my PCB next to the green wire it says "ON" others say "PWR_ON". Also as you can see the PG you saw stands for "Power Good" and is typically the gray wire, which makes this even more weird. We don't need the PG wire. I would look for small writing on the PCB that says something like "ON", "PWR", or "PWR_ON". With that being said it is possible that your supply isn't even an ATX, which is why the make and model will come in handy. There are many other different types of power supplies such as "AT", "mini-ITX" and "BTX".

It is possible that the S+ is the sensing line. The sensing line on mine is labeled "3.3VS".

I will keep looking around but here is a site that has all the different types of pinouts (most diagrams have color):

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Cat ... Connectors

It seems the ones where the Orange is the PG the Grey will be the PWR_ON so take a look at the base of the grey and see if it says ON or PWR_ON. If it does then that is your green wire replacement.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Just found this before I was about to give up for the night :D

If you notice in the pic the optional colors are in parenthesis. If the 3.3V is violet then the PS_ON is gray (not green), the brown should be the 5V SB, and the PG is Orange (Not gray). Also notice that the bottom four pins are optional. Back then there were 20 pin connectors and 24 pin connectors. Depending on which one you had your power supply may not have a sensing line in which case it can be omitted.

One thing though is that your brown wire MAY be the sensing line since it is denoted by the "S". To be safe the best way to check this out would be too hook everything up and test the output of the brown wire. If I am correct you should be able to get your power supply on by plugging the GRAY wire to a BLACK wire (this would replace the BLACK to GREEN). Then assuming you have a meter test the output of the brown wire. If it is 3.3V it is a sensing line. If it is 5V then it is the 5V SB and you don't need it.

Hope this is clear and helps :D :D Otherwise fire away \:D/

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Here is another table that verifies what I said. So just use color scheme 2 for your power supply and make the appropriate subs.

thSman
Occasional Poster

Post by thSman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Wow,thanks for all that.I'd never have thought such info would be online as its pretty random subject.
Just noticed the 'PS' next to the grey wire so with the info youve given I'll try and get it going when I return home from work.
Anything else or when I get it going I'll give you a shout.
I'll use the site you suggested for help this time and if I'm still stuck I'll drop u a line.

Thanks again

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 am

No worries :D . I actually fell upon that last pic by luck. That other site didn't have the alternative color coding scheme so it would've been useless anyhow.

thSman
Occasional Poster

Post by thSman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:49 am

My multimeter has just packed up......
Joine dthe black and grey wires together and the fans came on so were getting somewhere but it wouldnt light a few diodes up.Maybe I've broken it.I'm getting a new meter of the net as we speak so I can seee if it's kicking out any amps.

make and model no

eTECH
MPT-400

thSman
Occasional Poster

Post by thSman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:53 am

http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Computers,C ... upply-7797

Its the one at the bottom of the page.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:06 am

thSman wrote:My multimeter has just packed up......
Joine dthe black and grey wires together and the fans came on so were getting somewhere but it wouldnt light a few diodes up.Maybe I've broken it.I'm getting a new meter of the net as we speak so I can seee if it's kicking out any amps.
That is great. Same thing happens when you join the green and black on mine. Do you have a resistor connecting the 5V to Ground like in my instructions? What did you decide to do about the sensing line? This may be why its not firing up completely.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:08 am

lol I didn't notice that your color coding is right on the sticker in broad daylight :D

So I am guessing either their is no sensing wire or it is just bundled with one of the Violet wires. Just make sure you use all of the Violet wires in this case.

thSman
Occasional Poster

Post by thSman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

Would it normally denote the sensing line on the label?
I think its a good guess that its the thinner violet one as its got s+ next to it and I have violet instead of orange.
Do I need to put some load on it to make it work as per the link on OMG's site that lemming gave him.Its a clip on U-tube and the guy has a 12v car bulb wired to it just to check it works.Like an energy saving device,no load no run.

Thanks again

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:21 am

Yes the thin violet wire will be the sensing line as the violet wires are 3.3V. For my power supply the sensing line is a thin orange one but my orange wires are the 3.3V.

So just make sure the thinner violet wire is included in what you use. Attach the violet wires to the red wires from your lasers. Next attach the black wires to the black wires from your lasers. Then attach a 10watt/10ohm resistor between a 5V wire and a ground wire. This will be your load and is covered in my instructions. Last attach the PS-ON wire to a black one (make sure the power supply is off). After it is all said and done it should work out. You could test your connections with a meter.

thSman
Occasional Poster

Post by thSman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:31 am

I'm pretty sure I've busted it with earlier wrong connection's as I've got it wired up correctly now and nothing,not even a milli volt as I've had my meter across it.
I'll get another one offa e-bay

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Cool let me know if you have anymore questions. I'd be glad to help you connect the new one.