Hot Diodes..help please, OMG or anyone ?

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

Sonic74
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes
Treatment Regimen: Lasers

Hot Diodes..help please, OMG or anyone ?

Post by Sonic74 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 am

Hi guys...

I know there a lot of threads for "hot diodes" on regrowth but I never gave it a lot of attention before !!!

Now.... I have this problem myself or I think I have it for a long time !!!

I can get access to regrowth...the site is down !!!

Please any help...to solve the problem ???

Thanks in advance

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster

Re: Hot Diodes..help please, OMG or anyone ?

Post by OverMachoGrande » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey, Sonic!!!

How's my Greek brother!

Ok, yeah... some of the diodes can definitely get hot, but I want to clarify what you mean by "hot". Do you mean "YYYEEEEEEOOOOOW!!!!!" hot, or do you mean "Oh, that get's a pretty hot after 20 minutes."

The "YYYEEEEEEOOOOOW!!!!!" hot ones are usually about to FAIL. They get so hot that I'm surprised they don't turn red! A lot of times when they get that hot, if you look at them closely they are actually slightly dimmer. Eventually, these diodes actually could smoke and die.

This scenario is NOT YOUR FAULT -it's not because of your wiring- and it's due to a faulty diode!

What happened was the old circuit board design of the diodes wasn't the best, and this would occasionally happen. I had a rash of them in about April or May or so, and I know that one customer even swapped an entire 415 diode helmet out with me because, even though it only happened a few times, it would set off the fire alarm in his entire apartment complex! lol...

So, I'll actually be using those swapped out diodes in my new helmet in the next few weeks, so I'll have first hand experience dealing with them.

The good news is that it wouldn't be many of them that did this, so you should try to identify them all, and I could send even send you a few replacements. You just have to identify them and get them out of there!

Now, if they aren't super hot, and just "hot", then it might just be kind of normal. I can really tell that my FACE DEVICE has very warm diodes, and it gets pretty hot using it. They still are working, though, and I'm pretty sure they are at full power.

So, in summary, it's not YOUR FAULT if the diodes are scortching... it's more than likely a faulty diode that should be replaced! If it's just "hot", or "very, very, very warm", then it's probably not affecting anything.

Did that help at all? lol...

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Sonic74
Occasional Poster

Post by Sonic74 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi, OMG !

Brother I'm fine thanks !

I'm glad that reach the 6 month mark on Lasers in 2 weeks from now (9th August) !

But my device is a ghetto one, lol !!!

Actually, I didn't have any burnt diodes so far.....my main problem is that the wires is getting off of the circuit [there aren't a AIXIZ diodes] !!!

So, I have as about 9 or 10 diodes that I haven't fixed them and I just took it off from my device !

Those 9 or 10 places are blank on my device.....I mean there aren't any diodes on those places !!!

Maybe this causes some instability to the whole device !!!

I will replace those diodes and we will see.

The diodes are getting very very HOT after about of 5 minutes of use !!!

I don't even get sore the last days !!!

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster

Post by OverMachoGrande » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Woah, yeah... if you aren't getting sore anymore -and it coincides with the heat- then yeah, I'd definitely look at your wiring!

I think most problems are caused by the diodes, but I think this "hot diode" thing is proving to be as tricky as hairloss itself! lol... It could totaly be a mulitfaceted problem!

Well, jeez... let me get organized a little -I haven't tackled my email all week- and I'll see if I can't spare a dozen or so diodes to send your way, and maybe you can isolate the hottest ones and replace them and see if it makes a difference!

Where did you get the diodes from?

By the way, everyone that doesn't know how the "Laser Messiah" was named, Sonic74 gave me the idea, and I talk about it in this [unfinished temporary] video here:

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

Sonic74
Occasional Poster

Post by Sonic74 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the offer OMG,

to send me diodes for replacing the hot ones....

but it's not a AIXIZ diodes, I bought them straight from a chinese manufacter !!

...and you guess I'm not very satisfied !

They have output over 5mW but the shape is not even close to aixiz diodes and I think

they are very unstable relatively to brightness !!

But maybe it's all about wiring !!!

We will see... I'm puting new diodes on the LASER MESSIAH 2 that you send me (MANY THANKS FOR THAT)....

and new wiring !!!

I'm moving from my old ghetto laser device to the LASER MESSIAH helmet !!!

It would make the difference....I hope so !!!

Danlalane
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Treatment Regimen: LLT, Propecia, Minox

Post by Danlalane » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I got a bunch of diodes in the April/May timeframe to upconvert from my lemming to Messiah II. I lost 2-3 at the beginning to YEOW hot, last month lost 5 more, and tonight two got real hot. Strange that they are all spaced out. Dr Chuck has been pretty generous in replacing diodes as they fry up.