Advise/Device for Newcomer

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

mgd81
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: 1.25 mg Finasteride, Vitamines

Advise/Device for Newcomer

Post by mgd81 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, too. But (surprisingly) my first post is not about A&G (although I am checking for updates ever day), but about LLT J

But first a little bit but myself:
I am a 27 old guy from Germany, actually living in Canada and fighting against hairloss since 5 years, when I started with Finasteride (1.25mg/day). Although I am actually a NW2-3, I am pretty sure that Fin helped to reduce the pace of my hairloss. But I am still losing more than 100 of hairs/day and many of them are miniaturized, unpigmented short ones…
The state I am in right now is the state I have got to maintain to keep my hair at the length that suits me best (~4cm+some help from Volluma&Toppik;-). As I said, Fin does a quite good job but it definitely needs support from now on.
Minox (headaches,eye problems), topical flutamide (no results) and AC-therapy (botox-injections, been a hype in Germany, but showed no results to me) did not do it for me so I am looking for sth. else.

As the whole laser story is not popular at all in Germany, I am pretty new to this topic. To summarize, that’s what I figured out so far (from Regrowth&co):

- Able to maintain&thicken hair (shown in studies, too)
- Minor shedding (but no shedding drama) possible & no side effects
- Official LaserComb is overpriced/underpowered
- LaserMessiah (OMG) does the best helmet

Can anyone of you confirm these statements out of his own experience? Do you guys think it is worth a shot?

Is there any chance to get a good device for <$500? I know the LasserMessiah one is really advanced and therefore expensive (~$1000), even if you do it yourself (which I am not able to do anyways;-).

Would love to hear your comments and apologize in advance if this topic is pretty boring to you. To me it is really new and although I already read a lot I am drowning in information ;-)

Thanks a lot & best regards,
mgd

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Advise/Device for Newcomer

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri May 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi mgd81 and welcome to the forums!

I have asked another member who is much more knowledgeable than me to reply to you.

However, a quick response from me:

I personally have seen great improvement in my own scalp health thru using a device called the Hairmax Lasercomb. I bought it well before I really understood how lasers work in combating hair loss. However, I have learned that I am not getting the maximum benefit from laser therapy for hair loss with this device.

I accredit OMG (OverMachoGrande, a forum member here) for enlightening me (with lasers??) so to speak.

I have since decided to purchase a laser helmet from OMG. He hand makes them. It's called the Laser Messiah. I'm very excited about it.

Anyway, I'll let OMG talk about his helmet. But suffice it to say that I personally believe that laser therapy has helped me a lot. I used to even get acne on my scalp and was diagnosed with a conditional called Cicatricial Alopecia a few years back. This is an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of the hair follicles and eventually kills them. I did a number of things to fight this, and I am currently completely symptom-free of Cicatricial Alopecia. It's gone! I don't know to what degree, if any, the laser therapy has played, but I personally believe it has been a big one.

As soon as I get my laser helmet I will chronicle my use of it here.

All the best,
Sam

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 pm

By the way, where in Canada are you? I also live in Canada. Vancouver.

mgd81
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: 1.25 mg Finasteride, Vitamines

Post by mgd81 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for the information.
I really like this forum so far and I will try to encourage some members of the German forum to join it, too. In Germany we often discuss things which are not popular at all in NA and the other way round. AC therapy and the laser story are good examples… I am pretty sure Europe and NA could learn quite a bit from each other.

Anyways, I am a student and wasted quite a bit of money on (in the end) useless stuff. I would really like to give the laser messiah a try, but if it does not work, those ~$1000 would really hurt me…
But I guess buying an underpowered device will even make less sense…
Is there any proper device that could show me the effect of laser with spending less money, while saving for a laser messiah?

Thank you guys & all the best,
mgd

P.S.: I am in Edmonton by the way :-)

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri May 01, 2009 1:34 pm

I really like this forum so far and I will try to encourage some members of the German forum to join it, too. In Germany we often discuss things which are not popular at all in NA and the other way round. AC therapy and the laser story are good examples… I am pretty sure Europe and NA could learn quite a bit from each other.
Your German friends are more than welcome here; it would be great to get some input from the European community, and to trade thoughts with them.

Anyways, I am a student and wasted quite a bit of money on (in the end) useless stuff. I would really like to give the laser messiah a try, but if it does not work, those ~$1000 would really hurt me…
I know what that feels like mgd. There's no guarantee that any treatment will for everyone, unfortunately. Generally, comments that I have read from users, both here and on other forums, have been positive about laser therapy though.
Is there any proper device that could show me the effect of laser with spending less money, while saving for a laser messiah?
I think Jacob started a thread here to try to list all know laser devices for hair loss. You should check that out. I think as far as OMG's helmet goes, you're getting a decent value. He pretty much operates at close to cost I think. He does make a living from it though, but I think he's going out of his way to make his device affordable.

Keep us posted if you find anything interesting.

Sam

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by OverMachoGrande » Fri May 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey, mgd81!

This is what I have found to be true of "real" laser devices -not the toys which I'm so happy to see that you can identify already! lol... REAL LASER THERAPY wil more than likely stop further hair loss. It will more than likely make your existing hairs drastically thicker, shinier, and return to a much more youthful quality. You will PROBABLY regrow some hair that you have lost recently... I don't know, maybe a year or so -more if you are lucky?

I've been using laser therapy for almost exactly a year and half -that's 18 freaking months! ...And I have more hair now than I do when I started 18 months ago. In all of my adult life, and I've been actively fighting hair loss for 13 years, I haven't had a period of a MONTH when I've had more hair than I did the last one -it's been pretty much a straight line of agressive recession, with only a slowing down and an arguably successful period of a couple of months when I first started using Super Zix II. So... having more hair that I did 18 months ago is what I, OverMachoGrande, call a MIRACLE! Yep, I said it! lol... And actually I probably reclaimed more than that, maybe up to about a year or so before I started the helmet.

That is the best definition of success there is in the world of hair loss treatments. I would love it if we could take a pill or whatever, and get back ALL of the hair we've lost, but nothing has ever shown that to be possible. I think some people are in denial about that, too... they don't realize that VICTORY is actually PREVENTION, and growing hair on a cueball will probably never be possible!

There is a period in which you can reclaim lost hair, and after that period ends... those follicles are gone. Some people refer to it as the "30 month window". I feel that is actually a little bit generous and it's probably more realistically like an 18 month or 12 month window, but regardless of the exact timeframe, there comes a time when a follicle atrophies so much to the damage that is being caused to it and around the surrounding area that it will no longer EVER be capable of producing a viable hair. PERIOD, end of story.

Like I said before... a lot of you people out there are in denial about that for some reason! Look... when you have an area that goes slick bald, those follicles for all practical purposes are DEAD. Not sleeping, not dormant, but EXTINCT! -And there hasn't been anything that has shown otherwise in the entire history of mankind. It's like a liver that has failed... it may technically be still alive, but if you want a functioning liver, you need another one! If you want hair on slick bald areas... you need NEW FOLLICLES! That's why the name of this game is PREVENTION!

Sure, maybe one day that will be different -maybe gene therapy or stem cells will make it so we only have to take a pill to solve this, but do yourself a favor and don't hold your breath!

I have a saying that I'm very fond of: "You fight the war with the weapons you have". This war is about stopping hair loss, revitalizing your existing hairs, and getting new follicles into the slick bald areas, and THAT is how you define victory!

Plain and simple... with the first part, you stop hair loss and revitalize your existing hairs by one method -a LASER HELMET, or a laser device that can give you three to six joules of energy per square centimeter on your scalp. You certainly don't stop hair loss and revitalize existing hairs by propecia and minox -products that have a 15 year record of failure for most people that use them -but I'll save that talk for another video blog someday... SOON.

I've been using a laser helmet for almost a year and half. If you haven't started using one yourself yet, yes... that is how far behind you are -a year and a half! lol... But these laser helmets aren't just any old design...they were based on what we've determined to be the best design from some 1400 studies on laser light and tissue photo-biostimulation as well as what may be even more important... practical knowledge gained from scores of innovators on the forums.

I've told you my results... I have radically thicker, healthier, and shinier hair all over my head, and it hasn't been thick like this since I was at least in my teens. This is no longer the thin, limp hair of a balding person -and if you've seen my before and after pictures you'll know that my hair looks like the hair of a completely different person!

For anyone that has researched this laser stuff -like you apparently have already- and understands the difference between what we have been doing -which is REAL laser therapy- and what the companies that produce overpriced/underpowered toys are doing, then this shouldn't be a surprise at all!

It's working EXACTLY like science said it should! It's producing large quantities of SOD and Nitric Oxide where you need it, it's causing deep healing of damaged tissue, and it's providing food for increased mitochondrial activity -all things lasers have been shown to do, and all things that should stop hairloss!

So... OF COURSE it works... when you have the right amount of energy on your scalp, which is 3 to 6 joules per square centimeter -and the helmets I make, the expensive laser clinic devices, and a very small handful of other devices are the only ones that can do it. Toys can't do that -which is why the forums have proven that they don't work. Mine and the ones based on the principles we've discovered can -which is why we have the largest collection of positive testimonials the forum world has ever seen on any treatment -and in a very short time, too.

I'll one day get those testimonials up on a better place, but most of you know where to find them right now!

NOW THEN... $500 is definitely enough to make a decently effective device. You'll have to make a "movable cluster" device, though, and it won't be as effective as a "full coverage" device", but it will still be really good. Now, the PROBLEM is that moveable cluster devices are actually kind of hard to make! The best , easiest design I've seen is a 68 diode cluster (that you move three times) that has a simple chin strap. So, that means that you would have to put it on your left/front for 20 minutes, your right/front for 20 minutes, and the center/back for 20 minutes -BEING EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO OVERLAP!!! That's important!

You can build a device like that for $250 probably pretty easily! I was thinking about making one like that for $300 with the power supply and fully wired, but I just haven't had the time! It'd be ugly, but it would work!

FYI... my original laser device that I used for six months -the one that's on my head in the picture where I'm sitting on the toilet- is a 68 diode cluster that I'd move three times, too! It was definitely enough to at least prove to myself that this was worth pursuing!

A word of warning about these smaller 68 diode moveable cluster devices... you *will* end up buying a 300 or something diode full coverage device in about six months! lol... I'm telling you, you'll find that it works, and you will want nothing more than to have a device that will maximize your potential! So, like the rest of us, you will get obsessed with adding more and more diodes!

But, as I am fond of saying... that, my friend, is a problem you *want* to have!

Let me know if I can help!
-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...