Exposure durations

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Exposure durations

Post by Jacob » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 pm

I noticed when reading up on one of the laser hood products/companies, they were touting "up to 60 minute exposure durations": http://hairrejuvenator.com

I'm assuming they mean in one sitting, and that it'd cover all the areas in that time. That seems to be about what OMG and gang would say is what we should be doing..no? I wonder how it compares to the others out there- how much time they'd recommend.

Jajo
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood IV

Re: Exposure durations

Post by Jajo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Hey Jacob -

I know this is an old thread but trying to find more info on LLLT as I hope to use it with the A&G complex.

Wow - so the recommended exposure durations are an hour per sitting? Didn't know that - is this every day?

Jajo

CPIO
Regular Poster

Post by CPIO » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

I remember the guy "itchy" who posted at the old forum, he used his helmet for 50 mins twice weekly.

I think the procedure for non-responders is upping the treatment time. I get no effect from 20 minutes, only at 35 and upwards.

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Jacob wrote:I noticed when reading up on one of the laser hood products/companies, they were touting "up to 60 minute exposure durations": http://hairrejuvenator.com

I'm assuming they mean in one sitting, and that it'd cover all the areas in that time. That seems to be about what OMG and gang would say is what we should be doing..no? I wonder how it compares to the others out there- how much time they'd recommend.
That site is dead, Jacob, and just a generic page now. I guess the 50 minute time frame caused all of their heads to explode, they are all probably lying on the floor in the office dead, and their hosting has finally lapsed. Man, should we call the police?

lol... Ok, I'll stop. Yeah, obviously there are a lot of variation with some of the devices/people/etc/, so none of it is really SET IT STONE, but the 20 minutes/3 times a week seems to be the trick for most people with most devices, and at least that's a good place to start.

Obviously, like CPIO, if that protocol ain't doin' the trick, it ain't doin' the trick, so experiment!

"As always though, you should see your doctor before starting any hair loss treatment". HA! :lol: [A flashback just for you, Jacob! lol...]
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

jdp710
Prolific Poster

Post by jdp710 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:47 pm

cpio, are you sure he used his hoods for that long. I tried looking through my info but all I have on itchy is this ...

BTW, if you find who it was or the post please let me know
... thanks

Oh, also if you are washing your hair with a shampoo that doesn't leave a film in your hair then you might want to look at your volts and especially amps. Several people had this problem when wiring their helmet which means they have to use their helmet longer than the standard 20 minutes. And of course if distance from diode to scalp is more than 2 cm ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ITCHY: "My [edited" 90 laser diode]now has 200 Diffused diodes and I must say I am getting better results now than I ever had in the past 2 years of using the unmodified [edited: 90 diode].

... If you also have the serious scalp itch - the good news is that Laser should fix that for you. But you will have to keep up the treatment. 2 months after stopping the Salon treatment - my itching returned.

"same person but with a laser clinic device instead of commercially bought "Approx 5 years ago I had attended a 12 month Laser treatment in a UK based salon where I yielded little or no results from the treatment. Around 1.5 years later I attended another 12 month Laser course at a different clinic - only this time I benefited immensely - with new growth, no more scalp itch and approx 40% increased thickness of existing scalp hair.

I've always wondered what the difference were between the 2 salons Laser hoods. They were both the same model (Boston Laser) - and during both courses I used nothing else but the laser. So what was the difference between the 2 treatments?

So recently I revisited both Salons - under the guise of enquiring about another "top up" laser course. As a previous loyal customer - both clinics allowed me to inspect the laser hoods they used and surprisingly both were the same ones they had used when I was last a client.

THE RESULTS:

The Laser Hood which didn't yield much results for me was using focused diodes with lenses intact .....and

The Laser Hood which had given me excellent results had had all of its lenses removed - thus completely diffused.

Needless to say - as soon as I got home - I removed every single lens from my diodes and I now wish I had done this along time ago!"

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums ... =1&t=21699

ITCHY: I've been using lasers on/off for the past 5 years at least. I live in the UK and the salon craze here in the UK kicked off well over 7 years ago. I have undergone TWO 12 month salon laser hood treatments, 3 years of a lexington laser comb and 3 years of LaserMax 30 and last month a purchased a LAserMax90 - mainly because OMG rekindled my appreciation for the positive effects of lasers.

As my name suggests - I suffer from extreme inflammation and itching coupled with my hairloss. My hair thickened by about 40% at least as a result of using the 12 month Salon laser and my many years of hair itching STOPPED. Thus my inflammation stopped and my hair thickened. All my diffuse and miniturised hair also thickened up. I don't recall any NEW growth in slick bald araeas in the 12 month course - however I believe that 12 months was too short of a time.

The Lexington comb and LaserMax 30 did have a very small positive effect but nothing worth writing home about.

The problem is that within 2/3 months of stopping the laser treatment my hair thinned again and the itching returned

Due to the cost of the Salon treatments I could not keep extending my treatments and thus the gains quickly diminished. This home laser revolution will hopefully mean we can all have a salon type laser at home now.

I'm now on month 1 of the LAserMax90 and I am already seeing the same positive effects I saw from the Salon laser treatment.

From my experience - the general time-line from the CORRECT laser treatment was:

MONTH ONE : Hair increases in Shine and looks fuller

MONTH TWO : Hair clearly increased thickness by 10-20%

MONTH THREE : Scalp itch and inflammation completely gone

MONTH FOUR to MONTH 12 : Hair thickened atleast 40%. Less hairfall and thin lifeless hair a thing of the past!

MONTH 12 : no more money to pay for the extortionate Salon prices for treatment.

Once I stopped the Laser - the above positive effects took 3 months to diminish and return me back to my itchy scalp and thin hair.

One final note: I found that I benefited more from the LAser treatments when NOT using any topicals such as Minox. In fact my first Salon treatment did not yield nay results due to using Minox with the treatment. My second Salon treatment was without any topicals and the results were amazing!

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums ... =1&t=21236

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:52 pm

Just an FYI. I have been doing more treatments at lowerd times and my scalp feels much better. It has only been about 3 weeks but I already feel a pretty radical difference, more "stable" so to speak.

Basically I have been doing 10 minutes, 10 minutes, day off, repeat. That way I am getting more frequent exposures, which will end up in the biostimulation range.

CPIO
Regular Poster

Post by CPIO » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:09 pm

jdp, I dont have a device to measure amps and volts. I am using homemade wirenuts with foil wrapped around and tape, but the lasers are very bright
and give of very little heat.

tonyj
Regular Poster

Post by tonyj » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 am

haypman, are you doing 10 minutes twice a day or 10 minutes two consecutive days then day off? I understand that some of you are experimenting with 2 or 3 days on and 2 or 3 days off.

hapyman
Prolific Poster

Post by hapyman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 am

Two days on (~10 min ea.) then one day off. Sorry if the way I posted it was unclear :oops: .

Like I said it is still earlier but the positive sensations are lasting much longer if that makes any sense. The lowered treatment times are there to prevent over stimulation through the additive properties of consecutive LLLT treatments.

CPIO
Regular Poster

Post by CPIO » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:39 am

I found this at regrowth

Message Date: Sep 19, 2008 2:39 AM
Here's itchy's full post to clear up any confusion "Hi guys. Just to answer your questions: Both Laser Hoods had around 110 diodes each and the treatment time was 50 mins twice a week for the first 2 months and then one 50 min treatment once a week for the remaining 8 months. I spent a small fortune going to those clinics - however the last 2 years I've been using various LaserMax contraptions at home. I must say that I have "OMG" to thank for really igniting my passion and understanding of lasers and the realization that my LaserMax was way to weak to achieve the same results as a had from the Salon Laser. And not forgetting "rosariorose9" for his instructions on upgrading the LaserMax. My LaserMax90 now has 200 Diffused diodes and I must say I am getting better results now than I ever had in the past 2 years of using the unmodified LaserMax. "oofah" - If you also have the serious scalp itch - the good news is that Laser should fix that for you. But you will have to keep up the treatment. 2 months after stopping the Salon treatment - my itching returned. I've used Lasermax devices for nearly 2 years - however I didn't manage to rid myself of the itching until now. SINCE I'VE UPGRADED MY LASERMAX THANKS TO OMG AND ROSARIOROSE9 - MY ITCHING HAS NEARLY GONE IN JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!! Thanks guys for all the good work and sharing the knowledge. Itchy - soon to be "itchy no more""

OverMachoGrande
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by OverMachoGrande » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 am

CPIO wrote:I found this at regrowth

Message Date: Sep 19, 2008 2:39 AM
Here's itchy's full post to clear up any confusion "Hi guys. Just to answer your questions: Both Laser Hoods had around 110 diodes each and the treatment time was 50 mins twice a week for the first 2 months and then one 50 min treatment once a week for the remaining 8 months. I spent a small fortune going to those clinics - however the last 2 years I've been using various LaserMax contraptions at home. I must say that I have "OMG" to thank for really igniting my passion and understanding of lasers and the realization that my LaserMax was way to weak to achieve the same results as a had from the Salon Laser. And not forgetting "rosariorose9" for his instructions on upgrading the LaserMax. My LaserMax90 now has 200 Diffused diodes and I must say I am getting better results now than I ever had in the past 2 years of using the unmodified LaserMax. "oofah" - If you also have the serious scalp itch - the good news is that Laser should fix that for you. But you will have to keep up the treatment. 2 months after stopping the Salon treatment - my itching returned. I've used Lasermax devices for nearly 2 years - however I didn't manage to rid myself of the itching until now. SINCE I'VE UPGRADED MY LASERMAX THANKS TO OMG AND ROSARIOROSE9 - MY ITCHING HAS NEARLY GONE IN JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS!!! Thanks guys for all the good work and sharing the knowledge. Itchy - soon to be "itchy no more""
I *think* I may have his email address. The problem is that sometimes I get so many emails that I get lazy about properly adding their contact information, and I don't often add their "Forum Nickname". I'll go back and search after I answer the emails that I have, and I'll see if I can get him to give us an update.

-O.M.G.
  • "When all else fails, lie about OverMachoGrande." -observations by Jdp710
Build the most effective laser device in the world at http://www.overmachogrande.com...

bear101
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode laser Messiah 2 (3 times a week for 20 min sessions, at least 2 days between sessions)

Post by bear101 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Just wondering if 20 minute sessions (done every other day) 3 times a week is still a good starting point for laser treatment times?

I've seen conflicting information on exposures lately.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

New users should start up with 20 I guess. Myself,I have been doing the same as Hapyman for the last month. 20 minutes actually after a couple of months lasering made my scalp-skin sore and sunburned-like, it started hurting a bit when touched. Maybe I was overstimulated, I dont know. But what I DO know, is that my scalp feels much better now.. I think I see some filling in in my crown, we'll see in the coming months. :)

bear101
Regular Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode laser Messiah 2 (3 times a week for 20 min sessions, at least 2 days between sessions)

Post by bear101 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Norwegian, I haven't experienced any of the side effects you've mentioned....so I'll stay with the standard 20 minute time for now......thanks