Lasercomb, still using it, but considering more

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Lasercomb, still using it, but considering more

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:27 am

Ever since the fabled OMG introduced me to the concept of building your own laser device, and the potential benefits of doing so I've been wanting to do it.

I'm just stuck between whether I should make a helmet, or a brush. At first I was thinking a helmet, as I thought it would be more convenient. But I'm leaning towards the brush. The main issue: cost/benefit ratio.

If I were to make and use a laserbrush:

- I would need many less lasers, basically the most expensive component.
- by just giving my arm a bit of a workout, I can give myself enough exposure to the laser to have good benefits.

So I'm willing to sacrifice convenience for a bit more cash in the pocket (for now). Who knows, maybe I will want a helmet later... but starting with the brush is probably a good first step.

I'm still using the Hairmax lasercomb I purchased a few years ago. I think it has helped with the speed of graft recovery after my hair transplant. I'll probably continue to do so until the HT has fully grown in, after which I may upgrade to a laserbrush as a part of my maintenance regimen.

Anyone else considering doing this (or has done so already)?

James
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Lasercomb, still using it, but considering more

Post by James » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Hey there!

I am in the process of making my own laser helmet. I have been using a smaller version of a laser helmet for a while now, consisting of two brush bristle pads with about 50 diodes in them, held onto my head via straps. I would have to move this thing around my head several times just to get the coverage that I want and in some spots I would have to keep my head in a certain position so that the bristle pads would stay in place.

Well..... I am absolutely sick of spending so much time using this "model"!!!!!!

So, I am in the process of making a complete full coverage helmet. Coverage in a NW 7 pattern, including my temple point area (which is so beautifully receding). The diodes are going to cost me some cash, yes, but I just want a helmet that I can put on for 30 min. every other day and then forget about. And I will be able to do other things, such as play guitar or something when I have it on.

I will post pics of the monster when I am done.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:55 pm

James!

Wow, that's pretty awesome! Are you using any of the designs over on OMG's site, or are you coming up with your own design?

Sam

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Yeah, I am using the Lemmings design. It is based off of this concept.

http://www.overmachogrande.com/index.ph ... a_lemming/

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 pm

That's the ultimate helmet man! Pretty ambitious of you James. You should blog about it here on your blog. I can configure the blog such that when you make a post in it, a thread will automatically get created in the forum as well.

Let us know about your experiences as you go. Who knows, maybe I'll join into the fray and make one too...

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:49 pm

This is pretty far out there stuff. Does pointing a laser at your head really work??? Is it safe?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi stan21,

Welcome to the forums!

In short, yes laser therapy has been shown to grow hair. The hairmax lasercomb was the first F.D.A.-approved laser device for hair loss. I have one, and I think it has helped me quite a bit.

However, there is a growing community of people online now that are making their own laser brushes and helmets that have many more lasers than the hairmax lasercomb. OverMachoGrande (a member of this forum) is one of them, and he has a site dedicated to showing people how to do it. James, is another person here is making his own helmet.

I'm considering making one myself...

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Hmm... so which device is the best? If the hairmax one is the only proven one then why are people making their own?

stan

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Because it's an overpriced wimpy cat toy. (OMG would have much more to say..maybe he'll show up)

I'm getting more and more interested in this..but I'd prefer something you wouldn't have to wear. Something wall mounted or hanging from the ceiling..or my favorite option- something you can lay down with(sounds kinda kinky :-s ) .

surferdude

Post by surferdude » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 am

This is very interesting! People making their own spacey laser helmets... nice!

Jacob I can see what you mean about the hairmax being overpriced, but why do you think it's wimpy assuming that the studies showing that it worked to regrow hair are legit?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Well..to tell you the truth I'm still a little confused on this issue as well. Those that are making these helmets are saying they need to be more powerful to truly be effective. Limited success on devices such as the Lasercomb and supposed better success using salon helmet type devices is the evidence for this. Salons usually have you using their shampoos/topicals/who-knows-what else..as well..but if they're getting the results everyone is claiming, the Lasers obviously are a big part of it.

However..I had come across some "combs" that are about as "powerful" as what is being used in these helmets. So there are hand-held devices out there with "enough power"..it's just that you'd have to sit there for a longer period of time holding the blame thing and moving it around every minute or however long they recommend.

I hope that helps.

Mikejj
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Treatment Regimen: minox, hairmax

Post by Mikejj » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I can't believe you guys are making your own laser devices, I hope you make it right! You don't want to be using any old laser or you could do yourself serious damage! They must be LOW LEVEL lasers. Still it is best to just buy one that has been tested with safety in mind!

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 am

They are still using LLLT..even if they're "more powerful" 8)

ScrewGoingBald
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Treatment Regimen: Hairmax Lasercomb 3 Times a Week
Nizoral 1% Shampoo 3 Times a Week
Biotin Supplement

Post by ScrewGoingBald » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am

I have been using the Hairmax Lasercomb for about 9 months now. I have been recording my progress and uploading it to YouTube. Here are the first 6 videos. I'm also using Nizoral Shampoo and taking Biotin. If you watch the videos you will understand why I'm not using Minoxidil or taking Propecia.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-2Li1UNwao

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwpJfpPGXUc

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVw_P5qJNU

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp12IhfU8dA

Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5NvQItfhkM

Part 6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_hoIVYm-OE

future is with LLLT
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood VII
Treatment Regimen: 5% minoxidil 2 times daily plus 20 minutes LLLT full head device with 378 made by myself as I am an electronic engineer.

Post by future is with LLLT » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:43 pm

of course everyone who can should build his own laser device - because the LLLT products on the market are greatly overpriced - AND 99% of them do nothing for your hair.

If you do consider to make it yourself don't bother with less than 100 diodes - if you don't want to spend hours every day "combing" your hair.

each cm2 of effected scalp needs continuous exposure of 1 (one) diode for 20 minutes per day...
So do some maths.

Laser combs with only 1 laser diode and some even have a few LEDs what a joke...You can spend a full day and it will do nothing for your hair....