Help please

Open discussions of hair transplants and surgical hair restoration.

Moderator: moderators

James

Help please

Post by James » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:08 pm

Hi I guess I am the first one to post in this forum, yeah. Anyway I am only 20 years old and after a 3 year fight with hair loss using minoxidil and propecia and nizoral and high percent minoxidil formulations I continue to receed and thin. Now I am looking at non strip hair transplantation as a last go.. Do you guys think that anyone would do this procedure on me since I am only 20? By the way I am a NW3 diffuse thinning on top with no baldspot...yet

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi blueshard,

Anyway I am only 20 years old and after a 3 year fight with hair loss using minoxidil and propecia and nizoral and high percent minoxidil formulations I continue to receed and thin.
Have you visited a dermatologist, preferably one who knows a fair amount about hair loss, and had a diagnosis of your situation done to rule out the possibility that your hair loss is not a result of androgenetic pattern loss (i.e. not MPB or FPB)?
Now I am looking at non strip hair transplantation as a last go.. Do you guys think that anyone would do this procedure on me since I am only 20? By the way I am a NW3 diffuse thinning on top with no baldspot...
If you are know that your are a Norwood 3, then you have probably done a significant amount of research on your hair loss situation. I am going to assume that in fact you have MPB. If this is the case, I would say that it is too soon to do any surgery. Unfortunately, the sooner your hair loss starts, the more hair you will probably lose over time. In fact, some people lose hair just underneath their donor area as well in MPB! This means that if you do an HT, since you'll probably need more donor supply than the average person (due to your age) you will potentially not have enough of a supply to meet the demand. This is unless of course you are willing to have a frontal loaded transplant and put up with a bald spot in the back eventually. But even if this is an option for you, it's probably too soon for you to consider a transplant. If I were you, I would wait at least another 3 years. I know that's tough, but you'll know more about how far your hair will recede by that time. If you in fact are a Norwood 3, then you should keep your hair really short over this time frame. I'm talking about a clean and close cropped caesar cut.

If you have pictures of your hair loss, please send them to me via email and I will be able to give you more advice. In the meantime, even if a doctor is willing to give you a transplant operation, I wouldn't go for it if I were you. But if you do decide to go for it, do your research VERY carefully. Visit http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com to view the procedures done by different doctors. Ask a TON of questions before commiting to anything.

If you want to discuss this in private, send me a private message and we can talk at length.

Best Regards,
Sam

James

thanks

Post by James » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:19 am

Wow!!! Thank you so much for replying that is awesome of you... I want to improve my regimen here it is:
Topicals:
Xandrox15 2X daily
emu oil 3X weekly

Internals:
propecia 1 mg 1X daily
saw palmetto
biotin
l-lysine
grape seed extract
green tea extract
pygeum
horsetail
msm

Shampoos:
TSAl/Nizoral shampoo- alternate

what else can i do?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:01 am

Hi blueshard,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. It has been a busy couple of days for me at work.

Anyway, I would recommend that you actually reduce the number of times you apply Xandrox15 from twice a day to once a day for two reasons:

1) You are already getting 3 times the dosage of regular 5% minox in one application. That is more than what most people that are regrowing hair on minox apply.
2) It's not safe to use that much.

Also, you may be doing your hair more harm than good by using that much (in my humble opinion). If you want to, apply 5% regular minox once a day, and Xandrox15 once a day. That's what I am doing, and I am seeing results.

I think your internals are good, and so are your shampoos. You are doing the best you can (again, in my opinion) to keep as much hair as you can for as long as you can. In about 3 to 5 years, if you continue to lose your hair, then consider transplants (with a good doctor, do a ton of research first) and who knows, maybe hair cloning will be an option by then. I doubt that, but let's both keep our fingers crossed. :wink:

Best Regards,
Sam