Does dandruff affect a hair transplant in any way?

Open discussions of hair transplants and surgical hair restoration.

Moderator: moderators

ridge9
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Does dandruff affect a hair transplant in any way?

Post by ridge9 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Quick question guys, as a regular sufferer of dandruff (and someone who has to constantly control it by switching up shampoos, etc), is there any advice you'd give me prior and post to my hair transplant? How have some of you dandruff sufferers dealt with it yourself?

anna88
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Re: Does dandruff affect a hair transplant in any way?

Post by anna88 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Dandruff is actually not a direct cause of hair loss, though it does irritate your scalp and may be causing you to rub or scratch your scalp excessively, contributing to the hair loss you are experiencing. A good anti-dandruff shampoo to try, which has also been shown to have an anti-androgenic effect, is Nizoral. Nizoral should be used twice a week and you should leave it on for 5 minutes before rinsing, to allow it to penetrate the scalp and work optimally.

NoraOBrain
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by NoraOBrain » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

No, I don’t think dandruff will cause any problem to a hair transplant surgery. I don’t understand why you are switching shampoos to control dandruff. If one of them is working for you should continue using that. That way you will be slowly able to get rid of dandruff. And the advice on post hair loss treatment will be not scratch your head for a few days. Since you have dandruff you may feel itchy, especially for the first 2 days as you are not allowed to wash your hair. But do not scratch your head no matter how itchy it becomes. I was strictly warned against scratching my hair by Dr. Simmons of Seager Hair Transplant Clinic in Toronto after my hair restoration process.

rightsmith
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Treatment Regimen: Hair transplant in India | Punjab | Ludhiana

Post by rightsmith » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:17 am

Dandruff can cause the skin follicle get wider and it's main cause for the hair loss problems.

Anjana Mitra

Post by Anjana Mitra » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:35 am

Hello,

Dandruff makes our scalp itchy. After hair transplant surgery, the treated areas require some time to heal. If you scratch the treated area of the scalp during the healing stage, it may worsen the situation. So, to get rid of dandruff, it's better to use a medicated shampoo with the doctor's permission after 6 weeks of the surgery. But, if you have mild dandruff, it doesn't matter.