HT docs in Vacouver: H/W popular but what of jerry shapiro?

Open discussions of hair transplants and surgical hair restoration.

Moderator: moderators

canali
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

HT docs in Vacouver: H/W popular but what of jerry shapiro?

Post by canali » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:22 am

I went for a visit to Hasson/wong this wk and have a visit next wk to dr jerry shapiro (UBC hair transplant clinic)...from what i've read on hairlosshelp.com, H/W is very lauded (even by other top notch docs such
as woods, jones and cole, which says something)....but i have read
next to nothing on Jerry Shapiro's work (which also says something...but not in a good manner, that is)....have been told that Shapiro only does a few HT sessions/month and it's not even himself who does the recipient
work but an asst named Lucia.

Any comments/suggestions....I had plug grafts done by Walter Unger and his brother martin (and 2 reductions) in the mid'80s and need some filling in in/around the hairline....Hasson suggested 2000-2500 FIT grafts.

cheers
canali
vancouver bc

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:28 pm

I have seen both Dr. Shapiro and H&W transplant patients results. Both are good, but H&W are EXCEPTIONAL. I would definitely go with them. In fact, because I'm from Vancouver myself, and we have H&W right next door, if I ever get a future transplant I will get it with one of them.

That's my opinion anyway.

Regards,
Sam

canali

jerry shapiro vs HW for HT in Vancouver

Post by canali » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:10 am

Thanks...i appreciate that mucho...on the hairlosshelp.com forum
there is LOTS of feedback on h/w but NOTHING on Shapiro at all.

Shapiro's clinic charges by excision size (ie, 3inch square is $4500) vs
H/w charges per graft (i'm looking at 10g with h/w to do some fill in and rebuild a pluggy hairline from older sessions with walter/martin
unger in toronto in the mid'80s).

I am leaning towards H/W but will still see Shapiro tonight anyway.
Hasson has great respect for Shapiro as one who specializes in balding
disease (says he's one of the best in the world for R/D). but as for HT I get the impression from others that it's not his FT professional priority.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:09 am

Hello Canali,

How did your meeting with Dr. Shapiro go?

By the way, shapiro does charge by the strip as opposed to follicle count, but this is a marketing technique and doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the transplant.

As far as dollars go, H&W is a great value because you'll get a few thousand hair transplanted, and believe me that this makes a BIG difference. Don't let anyone tell you that megassions are no good. I have seen with my own eyes a person at a Norwood 6 to 7 get just 1 transplant from Dr. Wong that completely transformed their appearance. Unbelievable quality.

If money is an issue for you, don't go get a transplant that requires a strip to be cut out of your head unless you get the best that you can get!!! Wait if you have to and save your money, then go for the best possible transplant you can get for the buck. H&W definitely fit that bill.

I have seen transplants done by Dr. Shapiro and by Hasson and Wong. H&W were better in my opinion but Dr. Shapiro was pretty good too. The main difference I saw between the two were that H&W did more densely packed transplants in one sitting and the appearance of the transplant was more natural which is the ultimate goal. Both were undetectable to the average person, but H&W is undetectable even to people with an eye for transplants.

Regards,
Sam

VancouverDude
Occasional Poster

Post by VancouverDude » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:37 am

Sam

Any idea how much does HT cost at HW? I know it probably varies depending on individual cases..but how about a ball park figure?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:18 pm

VancouverDude, I don't know the exact amount, but one person gave me a rough ballpark figure of about $10,000 Canadian for a 3000 follicular unit transplant he had done. Here's his picture page:

http://www.morphollica.com/pics_regimen ... ty/robert/

This person was completely bald prior to the transplant.

Considering the quality of their work (which I personally think is pretty amazing) that's a good deal in my opinion.

Regards,
Sam

Mahair

Post by Mahair » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:49 am

Be careful there are 2 Dr. Shapiros .The one in Mn. is the world class Dr. not the one in Fla.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:10 pm

Mahair, that would actually mean there are 3 of them because there is one in Vancouver BC as well. Canali was asking about the one in Vancouver.

Sam

Mahair

Post by Mahair » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:33 pm

I re-read the thread . I though someone was going to make a big mistake and posted too quick.

MikieNes

I got mine at H&W

Post by MikieNes » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:31 am

see my post on the other thread. I also visited the other doctor & decided on H&W. Never regreted it. I was a Norwood 6. Now people can't even tell I was ever bald on top.

It's not a complete miracle -- I've still got a grapefruit-sized spot that's very thin at the back (and could probably get it filled in with more transplants) -- but it's pretty damned close and definitely worth every penny.

But don't believe what they tell you about the pain -- hurts like a MF for about two weeks.