Balding at 19

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Wario
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Balding at 19

Post by Wario » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:50 pm

I just turned 19 and am quite worried that by the time I'm 21, I'll be completely bald. Over the past two years, my hair has become noticeably less thick. My hair line has started to recede and thin at a rapid pace, as well as all the hair on the top of my head which looks as if I've pulled chunks of my hair out. Its greatly affecting my confidence. I'd be willing to embrace it if it began in my mid twenties, but why now in my late teens. I look ridiculous with a completely shaven head but options are kind of limited.

My brother who is 26 is experiencing some hair loss but nowhere near the extent as mine. My father didn't begin to lose his hair till his mid-twenties, but his father had a full head of hair well into his 80's experiencing no hair loss whatsoever. All my uncles on both sides of my family have full heads of hair and are all near the 50 mark.

I've been using Regains 5% for the last 4 months but have noticed no regrowth. Do you think I'm too young to take propecia? Also, what are your experiences with propecia?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:03 pm

Hello Waria, and welcome,

I feel for your situation. Losing your hair sucks at your age.

Have you determined the type of hair loss that you have? What worries me is that you say that your hair looks as if you've pulled chunks out of your hair. Is the hair loss patchy or is it male pattern baldness.? I recommend that you see a dermatologist to diagnose you. You can also ask one of our doctors in the hair loss experts section what they think:

http://www.morphollica.com/hairloss_experts/

If you have male pattern baldness, propecia should help. At your age you should do whatever you can to stop or slow the hair loss as much as possible. It's possible that you can halt the tide with a smart regimen if you stay consistent. If it's MPB that you have, then Minox 5% + Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar) is what I recommend to you. Don't get caught up in all the alternative treatments until you have given these at least a 6 month time frame to see if they are starting to work for you. Make sure you manage your own expectations. Even slowing your hair loss should be good. If you manage to regrow hair then that's a bonus.

Keep your hair cut short, it'll look better. Don't let it hit your confidence too much. You can offset the depression that hair loss can cause by keeping yourself fit, and well-dressed. Shaving your head will NOT necessarily look funny for someone your age. If you can pull it off and stay confident, a lot of women think it's sexy. I know this for a fact because I have some very attractive female friends, and they all unanimously say it's confidence, not hair that's important.

You are not too young to take propecia. Now's the time to do whatever you can to stop your hair loss.

Regards,
Sam

Wario
Occasional Poster

Post by Wario » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:13 am

Thanks for your advice, Sam. Its definitely male pattern baldness, as it has gradually started to thin since I was 17, not just all of a sudden. Buts it a lot more noticeable at the back and were my fringe (if you could call it that now) is.
I'm afraid to say it, but it has already greatly affected my confidence - something I was full of before. I'm not depressed but I do dwell on it when someone passes a smug comment about it. Its a real bummer being the first of all your friends to lose their hair.

Is Propecia known to have any side effects if you were taking it during the same day as you were taking antibiotics for a throat infection, or even drinking alcohol?

Wario
Occasional Poster

Post by Wario » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:35 am

Me again. I'm going to start taking propecia pretty soon. But for a 3 month supply its pretty expensive, about 96 which is about $173. Do you know of any reputable sites who stock propecia at a more wallet friendly price that'll ship to the U.k? I'd be too self conscious to pick it up in my pharmacy, which I'm sure you'll understand.

James

Post by James » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:20 pm

i started losing at 16-17 and it has completely torn apart and ruined my life in everyway possible... be careful to not let this happen to you... if you start to feel really upset about it then try to talk to someone... it can help

Wario
Occasional Poster

Post by Wario » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:22 am

blueshard, you know what i feel like so. People feel as if its their duty to tell me I'm going bald and then they kind of laugh it off. Have you had any success with rogaine or propecia?

James

Post by James » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:21 pm

wario i have been using propecia for over three years and it hasn't grown a single thing but maybe it slightly slowed down my hair loss.. I use Dr. Lees 5% minoxidil in the morning and Xandrox15 at night. I have had some vellus hair growth on my temples from the Xandrox15 ....these tiny hairs do not make my hair look any better.

maddoc23
Occasional Poster

Post by maddoc23 » Tue May 11, 2004 6:43 pm

Wario,

If you start using propecia and minox, you will almost be guaranteed hair regrowth, especially because of how young you are. There are alot of cheaper places to get propecia or you may look into obtaining proscar and splitting it into fourths. You could also get the generic variety which is really cheap. Propecia, minox and don't forget the nizoral and you won't need to worry anymore.

D

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu May 13, 2004 5:17 pm

I know I keep posting this all over whenever young guys post....but here it is again: http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/22/baldness_insulin.htm