What works? Anyone hear of Kevis?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

RyGuy
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

What works? Anyone hear of Kevis?

Post by RyGuy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey guys, I'm just gonna throw my story out there really quick to see if anyone has any thoughtful suggestions. I'm 23 years old, first noticed fallout around 18 years old. Wasn't really bad/noticeable at first, because I had a pretty thick head of hair. When I was about 20 or so, I decided to try out Rogaine because I felt it was getting noticeable. I wasn't really a champ at keeping up with the Rogaine applications when I was using it, mostly only doing one a day at nighttime because it left my hair pretty oily and tended to run a bit if I was sweating or something (running to class on campus in the morning after an application or something). Even with the one application a day though, I thought I was seeing some results, mostly in the form of little blond hairs, but I could've been fooling myself. Either way, I didn't keep up with using it, just would start up using it again for awhile whenever a sense of urgency hit me somehow that I need to be doing something to keep my hair, and then eventually I would stop using again. I guess I'm not the poster-child for discipline when it comes to topical applications.

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had any success using Propecia or other internal remedies, because I think I might have a better shot at sticking to that. For seasoned posters on the site or moderators, would you think that I have a shot of keeping/regrowing hair if I let the shedding continue pretty much un-checked for about 4 years? Right now, my hairline has receded a bit, but there is a lot of thinning on the top and vertex of my head...not skin-bald anywhere yet, there's still fine blond hair, but I don't think it's far off. I'd be up for any suggestions for starting a regimen, provided it's in the realm of reason...moderately priced, not a lot of hassle. I'm at the point where I may start shaving my whole head to hide the pattern(as we know now that shaving the head bald is the new toupee ;)), but I'd rather try some solutions first.

I know this is getting a bit long, I apologize, but I also wanted to ask if anyone had heard of Kevis? I didn't see it anywhere on this site, but they have their own site, kevis.com, with product that boasts 92% success rate with users. It seems scientifically sound from the info on the site, but usage seems pretty labor intensive and they don't even post prices on the site, which leads me to believe that it's not only a bit of a hassle to use, but also rather expensive.

I'm up for any suggestions, as long as it's not something really odd, like massaging eel pee into my scalp or something :oops: Sorry for the length of the post, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Ryan

Dod
Regular Poster

Post by Dod » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 am

Welcome,

My friend i started to notice hair loss at the age of about 21/22 and it was at the time i started to do something about it. Don't leave it for another four years, and the four years you've left it for already there's a good chance you'll grow alot of it back as long as you stick to a regimen religiously.

Now im a topical man myself and afraid of the internal pills....so in my opinion get a hold of some xandrox15 it contains both minoxidil (15%) and azelaic acid (5%)....therefore u get regrowth and inhibition. However in my opinion azelaic acid hasnt worked as a great inhibitor for me so you could throw in spironolactone aswell. THis should be a pretty good combo.

Xandrox 15% definitely regrew some hair and stopped some hair loss for me and ive only recently started the spironolactone, so i cant say how effective it is yet.

If your lazy perhaps you could just apply xandrox 15 + spironolactone just at night and wash it out in the mornings.

Anyway im not quite a medical man yet so best ask a doctor, some of this other hair fanatics on this site the could give you some info too.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:27 am

I do not have any personal experience with Kevis, but I haven't heard of anyone who has had success with it. Not any "real" people.

Snake oil salesmen will claim to have high rates of success, be better than prescription medication, all-natural, no side effects......and it's expensive.

If it sounds too good to be true, I believe that it's not true.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:55 am

Thanks for the quick responses and thoughtful advice Tricia and Dod, it's much appreciated.

I'll look into Xandrox15, it seems like a good avenue to explore. On a quick sidenote, I had heard that using Minoxidil can result in a growth of body hair. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks again,

Ryan

James

Post by James » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:36 pm

"I'm up for any suggestions, as long as it's not something really odd, like massaging eel pee into my scalp or something"

Hahaha!

If I were you I would look into Propecia as a possible treatment option. Many, many people have maintained and even regrown some hair with it.

I would stay away from Kevis if I were you, I haven't heard of a single person reporting a good result with that product.

I think it is possible for minox to cause body hair growth.

goosedesigns
Regular Poster

Post by goosedesigns » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:25 am

RyGuy, sorry for not posting sooner.

We have the exact same problem, im just 2 years behind you :)

I've read this thread with feverant interest.

Propecia you say James, lots of places seem to sell it, any that you personally recommend? The minox doesnt seem to be doing all that much for me :D (sorry for a slight hijack there)
dont give me any of that bald is beautiful crap!

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:29 am

RyGuy,

If minoxidil causes excess body hair/facial hair, it's minimal. I would imagine that a man wouldn't notice a difference. As a female, I've gotten some extra facial hair and thicker eyebrows but waxing works wonders. People would not say that I have whiskers.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

Dod
Regular Poster

Post by Dod » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:20 am

I never seemed to have any extra body/facial hair growth with minoxidil, well not any that i've noticed. And anyway women love a hairy man, sean connery style. They're just afraid to admit it ! No one is gonna get a microscope out and inspect you.

seems like the other boys are backing propecia, how your genitals functioning ?

good word, feverant. like it

godspeed

James

Post by James » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 am

There are people who get sexual sides from Propecia, I personally got sides when I used it.

The thing is that a lot of people DO NOT get sides and it helps maintain there hair really well, better than a lot of other stuff out there.

If I were you then I would give it a try, but I would visit a derm and get a prescription for it because ordering online without a prescription brings on some uncertainty to whether the drug is fake or not.

RyGuy

Post by RyGuy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I think this site is great, you administrators really seem to know your stuff, and I'm sure your helping create a hairier populace, lets just hope it's all on their heads ;)

No worries about jumping in on the thread goosedesigns, because I was wondering about Propecia myself. I have been to a derm before, and I remember them saying that it would not be covered by insurance. How much would a script cost, and is there a generic?

Also, I was wondering what the typical starter regimen for using Xandrox would be. Would you recommend getting a separate topical DHT inhibitor like spironolactone as well? I would assume you probably wouldn't need a topical inhibitor if you were to be on propecia in conjunction with using the minox. Would it be a good idea to use propecia in conjunction w/ minox?

I want to kind of get aggressive with treatment, but I don't want it to be haphazard either. Thanks again in advance for replies.

Ryan

guitarmy
Occasional Poster

Post by guitarmy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:21 pm

Im your age and have tried propecia and while it did grow back a lot of hair in about six months for me it totally messed with my ability to get and maintain gooderections and intensity of orgasms dropped significantly. I would say away from it if you can.

I am using minoxidil 5% topical but its effects are pretty slim to none and Im still shedding like mad, I think ill try xandrox, does anyone know how long the 125ml bottle last for?