Crown thinning

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Jk500
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: I've tried Nanogen shampoo, conditioner and hair growth factor serum.
Currently just washing my hair daily in Alpecin as i hardly notice any hairs off my head on my hands while using it.

Crown thinning

Post by Jk500 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:30 am

Hi I'm new to this forum, I'll quickly introduce myself then I'll describe why I've came on here.

My name is John.
I'm a 32 year old man, from Liverpool England.
I have thick black hair on my head. In fact, if you look at me face on, you would think I was a lucky man to have such thick dark hair.
I remember a few years back I grew my hair out, I had never done that before so I thought, I've got it, go for it... until one windy day a friend was walking behind me, and he stopped me and said "that's going at the back that". I laughed as if to say "no mate my hair isnt going anywhere". That day I went home and took a picture of the back of my head and he wasn't lying.
I got paranoid, I couldn't believe it. I was so shocked...

I have no male pattern baldness in my family. My grandad had a full head of hair, my Dad also has full wavey hair.
Yesterday I was in a changing room trying clothes on, and there were mirrors at every angle, I caught a glimpse at the back of my head. I sort of forgot about it as I can't see it. It looked quite bad.
I am not receding at all anywhere else.

So that's why I'm on this forum. I'm wondering is there anyone in the same position as me?

I've been wondering if it's an imbalance in hormones. Maybe something to do with DHT.
I've heard about fenistride, I don't really want to mess with that, I've heard it ruins men.
Could I have low Testosterone?

I'll probably have to go see a GP but I would like to see if anyone shares my frustration.

Thanks for reading

John

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Crown thinning

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi John,

First, welcome to the forums - and apology for the delayed reply.

Second, your story is not unusual at all. Pattern baldness can be handed down from either side of your family (mom or dad's side). If you're thinning in the crown, my guess is you are probably suffering from the beginning of male pattern baldness. I wouldn't panic though, especially if you have a relatively thick overall head of hair.

My advice to you would be to first get a doctor to confirm what kind of hair loss you have. If it's pattern baldness then you have a lot of options to help stem the tide. Even if it's not your regular run of the mill type of hair loss, you have some options.

Once you've confirmed what it is, if it's mpb or fpb or a variant there-of, I would recommend getting a consumer level hair loss laser product -- preferably a decent helmet. Laser therapy is really probably the safest method of treating your hair loss.

The next things to look at would be minoxidil and propecia as these work on different aspects of what causes hair loss. Although they don't come without risks. You need to thoroughly educate yourself on the risks before embarking on either of these. But between the two, the safest will be minoxidil. I would use a foam-based product, and I wouldn't overdo it. Don't use more than the recommended amount to avoid becoming sensitive to either the minox or the delivery vehicle.

And then you can look at internals. Propecia (finasteride) is the only fda approved internal medication for hair loss, but there are lots of potential natural alternatives both internal and topical. If I were you, personally, I would avoid an internal if you can get things under control with laser and topical treatments.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask if you have other questions.

HLF