Can follicular density be improved by using any products

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

buttercup27
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Can follicular density be improved by using any products

Post by buttercup27 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:05 am

I saw a cream on the market that claims to produce new hair follicles. I have very scanty hair, my scalp is visible whatever partition I take and when I take a glance in the mirror under a light , more areas of my scalp become visible. Its been like this from college for over 9 years. There is no sufficient hair growth to cover those visible areas. Is there any product/treatment herbal or chemical that can be applied topically that will regrow hair or stimulate the follicles or create new hair follicles. I had consulted with a doctor earlier and at her suggestion I have applied mintop solution for over 3 months last year. But I did not find any improvement. Someone please help...Please suggest products that are safe to be used during pregnancy..

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:44 am

I do not know of any effective hair loss treatments that can be used by pregnant women. Some women use the Lasercomb, but I haven't heard of anyone who is really happy with it. Women desire a greater level of hair density than men. In my opinion, there really aren't treatments available that will help most women. Only those who are excellent responders to minoxidil are happy with it (and you can't use minoxidil when pregnant)

If you are very unhappy with the appearance of your hair, I would suggest that you look into getting a topper. It's not a wig, but a small hair piece that you clip on to the top of your head. I have heard from many women who love their toppers. When my hair loss progresses to that point, I will ditch treatments in favor of a topper.

Let me know if you want more information on toppers.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

buttercup27

Post by buttercup27 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:07 am

I had seen a lady wearing hair piece yesterday. Though the hairpeice was a good one- ie very soft just like real hair, I could make out the artificial hair from her real hair. This is what I don't want people to realize,- that I'm having fake hair :( .. Well, it is better than showing people my bald head, but I would like to explore any other solutions first that would grow hair.. I have tried minoxidil(mintop solution 2%). It was suggested by one doctor, but I did not see any improvement. She had asked me to come back to her and show her the results after a month.. but by then our job transfered us and we had to move :cry: ... How can one make out what kind of hair fall they are suffering from? I am taking iron syrup(one tbsp), 1 bcomplex(with thiamine, riboflavin, biotin, folic acid, vitb12) with vitc(ascorbic acid) and 1 vit e(200mg) daily... Is there any more nutrients I need to take. My eating is also not that bad.. For the past 4 months, my hair is remaining at the shoulder length and not growing either :cry: ... Today also I saw some hair fall, every time I touch my hair, I get some 2 - 3 hair in my hands and everytime I comb I get about 10-15 hairs on the ground and in my comb together..

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:50 am

The lady you saw was not wearing a good hair piece if you could tell it was fake. I've seen women who I know are wearing a hair piece and I still can't see the piece...no matter how hard I scrutinize and I'm really good at scrutinizing :D

I tried improving my nutrition to help my hair situation and that didn't work. The only thing that has helped me is minoxidil 5%. Even still, I'm not 100% thrilled with the results. I see my treatment as a way of postponing the hair piece. I do realize that one day I will need a hair piece ..... unless they come up with some cure for baldness or it becomes fashionable for women to shave their heads 8)
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

buttercup27

Post by buttercup27 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:05 am

Speaking of bald fashion, Demi moore shaved her hair of completely :lol:

Have you tried folligen? It was advertised in the skin biology website. It looks too good to be true...What other treatments have you tried other than minoxidil?
Maybe I should go for some couple of tests first to check if I my harmones like FSH, LTH, Tyrosine etc are in balance before I go in for any cream. Finding the real cause of the hair fall is the most difficult task.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 am

I've read of some success for women using Thymuskin. There are plenty of other non-minox topicals out there worth using. Those from http://www.elsomresearch.com and a few by http://www.lipoxidil.com ...plenty of others out there as well.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Mon May 01, 2006 4:49 am

I haven't tried any other treatments. Just minoxidil 5% since June 2004 and finasteride since October 2005. I did get my hormones checked a couple of times and they were normal.

Jacob mentioned Thymuskin and I've only ever heard women complain about it.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon May 01, 2006 8:54 am

Well I don't frequent the women's forums at all so you'd know better than me. It's just the 4+ years of reading things- the women are the ones that benefit from Thymuskin. Although I can't recall any men saying they've used it long term.

I just think ppl should be more open to "alternative" treatments in general. I feel some are missing out on some good treatments.

Both SOD and procyanidins have been shown to be nearly as good..as good..and even better than minoxidil. No..that hasn't been FDA "proven"..but nothing will be imo unless it blows away propecia and minox combined. The SOD and pro's can be used with other beneficial ingredients as well- as some minox products do.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Mon May 01, 2006 11:31 am

No treatments get rave reviews in any female hair loss forum that I've ever visited. I don't even rate my own treatments that highly :D
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron