Can hair become thicker?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Armando
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Can hair become thicker?

Post by Armando » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:15 am

Can hair become thicker?
It has been many times indicated the use of certain products to make hair thicker. It seems to have been accepted in a general way that hair is able to become thicker, but in my opinion this is a very debatable matter.
Biologically hair is created in the hair follicle, and there are certain layers (ORS and IRS) which are the ones that determine the thickness of hair. Such structures seem to remain immutable, at least during the anagen phase, and thus the hair must keep its predetermined thickness during all the growing phase. This means the hair keeps its thickness along all the length it is able of develop, it does not get thicker or thinner, it remains practically constant.
The only way to make hair thicker is with a new hair cycle, i.e. with a new hair that grows and is generated in a different environment regarding the layout of the new sheaths of the hair follicle of the new hair.
As a detail, let's think the new growing hair has already been predetermined before, for instance, a grey hair appears in this way from the beginning, it does not lose its pigmentation while it is growing, but it is white from the very first moment. It may happen the same thing with the thickness of hair.
An interesting study on this matter is the following:
Hair follicle predetermination, in http://jcs.biologists.org/cgi/content/full/114/19/3419.
And thus I ask again: Is it possible that thickness of hair changes while it is growing?
All comments are wellcome.
Armando

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:40 pm

I think hair can appear to be thicker. If you think that is a trick answer you're probably right :lol:

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:39 pm

Hi Armando,

I believe hair can be made thicker in two ways:

1) Through the use of products that can enter the hair shaft and thereby add weight to the hair, as in the case of a thickening conditioner.

2) (I think this is what you are really asking), hair that has been miniaturized from the effects of prolongued MPB can be made thicker through a partial reversal of the MPB process with products like finasteride and minoxidil.

I have personally experienced both of these ways of increasing hair thickness. I recommend adding emu oil in a tiny amount to your shampoo to add volume to thinning hair. Works like a charm for me.

Regards,
Sam

Armando
Regular Poster

Post by Armando » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:53 am

Hi Sam;
You wrote:

"I believe hair can be made thicker in two ways:

1) Through the use of products that can enter the hair shaft and thereby add weight to the hair, as in the case of a thickening conditioner. "

OK, I think so.

"2) (I think this is what you are really asking), hair that has been miniaturized from the effects of prolongued MPB can be made thicker through a partial reversal of the MPB process with products like finasteride and minoxidil. "
But in my opinion only with a new hair cycle.

Jacob wrote;
"I think hair can appear to be thicker. If you think that is a trick answer you're probably right"

Please, where is the trick?

Regards
Armando

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:37 pm

Some would say it just "looks" thicker etc. I do believe you can make it appear thicker and yes that it even becomes thicker. Shampoo's and an MSM styling product I use helps. I've been taking Bio-Sil for awhile now and although my hair feels softer etc....it's hard to tell if it's made it "thicker" ..again..because of the shampoo/gel I use.