Anyone heard of Xalatan?

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

LadyDeathstrike
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Anyone heard of Xalatan?

Post by LadyDeathstrike » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:57 am

hey people,
i've been having a look around this forum...don't suffer from any forms of hairloss myself, but am doing research on madarosis... drop me a line if you've got anything to share on that.

Sam, have you heard about Xalatan, a.k.a. latanoprost, before?
It's more effective than minoxidil and finosterol..and the effects last longer. i'm researching madarosis, and so far Xalatan seems to be the most effective cure.The side effects are also purely cosmetic(darker iris and of course, better eyelashes).The reports i read on it, though, were mainly about brows and lashes, not the hair on the head.
What i've gleaned from some papers on latanoprost is mainly:
Latanoprost, a prostaglandin analog,was first documented as a hair-growth stimulant in 1997. Though it's more known as effective for eyelash and eyebrow growth,there was a study done on its effect on scalp hair growth, in which it converted 5-10 % of vellus hairs into terminal hairs. (the macaque subjects had androgenetic alopecia)
So...could go on for too long, but the upshot was, though PG analogs may not be the panacea for androgenetic alopecia, they've every right to become the first drugs of choice to treat it, because of their greater success than other currently available preparations.
What do you think?
Has anyone reading tried Xalatan before, whether for madarosis or not?
well, hope you all find success with what you're trying!

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:16 am

Actually I have been intrigued by Latanoprost for quite some time now. You may have already seen the following link:

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/93/comment ... /wolf.html

which talks about the potential of prostaglandins, in particular Latanoprost, as being potentially great treatments for hair loss. Latanoprost is pricey though. I have not yet met or heard from anyone who is using it to treat their hair loss.

I did however overhear someone at the Skin Care Centre in Vancouver, BC, talk about using it to treat their lost eyebrow hair. This person looked like they were suffering from Alopecia Areata.

I would also love to hear from anyone who is using it.

maddoc23
Occasional Poster

Post by maddoc23 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:02 pm

Yo morph,

Only one problem with prostaglandins and hair growth. Aspirin has also show the ability to regrow hair, and aspirin will inhibit prostaglandin production. From my knowledge, studies have been inconclusive as to the benefit of prostaglandins in hairloss. Some studies say it helps then others claim aspirin helps as well.

D

maddoc23
Occasional Poster

Post by maddoc23 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:12 pm

"Two studies [26, 27] using transgenic mice with overexpression of COX-2 in the skin showed directly contradictory results. Transgenic mice under the control of a bovine keratin 5 (K5) promoter[26] and human keratin 14 promoter[27] and overexpressing COX-2 in both the basal cells of the interfollicular epidermis and the pilosebaceous unit, exhibited reduced hair-follicle density and delayed postnatal hair follicle morphogenesis compared with wild-type animals. Administration of a specific COX-2 inhibitor (in one experiment [27]) restored hair growth, indicating that the alopecia was attributable to elevated COX-2 enzymatic activity."

This was taken from the above study provided. Aspirin is a potent COX-2 inhibitor and COX-1 to a lesser extent

D

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:33 pm

It may be the case that certain prostaglandins are beneficial and anti-inflammatory, whereas others may be the opposite. I read a book on allergies several years ago called "Allergies, Disease in Disguise" by Carolee Bateson-Koch, that (if memory serves me correctly) talked about the various prostaglins and their properties, seemingly concurring with this idea.

maddoc23
Occasional Poster

Post by maddoc23 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:13 pm

Certain prostaglandins are beneficial for different things, but aspirin blocks the synthesis of virtually all the prostaglandins.

D

gorillaz
Occasional Poster

Post by gorillaz » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:07 am

From what I have heard about XALATAN, it is more about controlling the pressure in the eye, like a type of eye hypertension. I checked this site folks, and I hope this will help you to understand more on XALATAN and itz pros and cons.

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3671-s-XALATAN.aspx

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:40 am

Some of those side effects are scary. I wonder if it would reduce eye pressure at all if it was applied directly to the scalp. If you didn't have glacoma, then it seems like lowerly eye pressure might not be a good thing :shock:
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron