Some advice please.

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

camino
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Some advice please.

Post by camino » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:23 pm

Hi, great forum. lots of great info here.
What I'd like to know is simply whats the best treatment for me. I'm 29 and have a slight thinning at the temples and crown. The crown seems to be getting worse and is really starting to bother me. From what I've read so far either propecia or 1/5 a tablet of proscar a day seems to be the way to go. Any suggestions?
And this thing that Proscar should be used exclusively by men with benign prostate disorder in whose doctor has prescribed its use, what does that mean at the end of the day?
thanks.

Also where is a safe and cheap place to order Propecia, proscar, or mionoxidil online?

hotdillon

Post by hotdillon » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:31 pm

Hi camino,

If your hair loss is only a slight thinning at the crown and temples I recommend propecia or proscar cut up into quarters. It's harder to cut up evenly into 5 pieces, but it is pretty easy to cut into 4 pieces with a pill cutter.

Proscar and Propecia are exactly the same underlying drug called Finasteride. No diff whatsoever. If a doctor told you it should only be used for BPH then it tells me he doesn't know enough about how to treat MPB. You may have to point him to sites like this one or HLH or HLT to educate himself a bit. ;)

As for the temples, they are pretty hard to regrow. Since you are only thinning slightly I suggest using 2% minoxidil only once a day for the first 3 months to see if you get any results. I don't recommend 5% or higher concentrations yet until you've given the lower concentrations a chance. 2% is usually water based making it less irritating. 5% usually is in propylene glycol, which some people find irritating. Be conservative at first. You only want to kickstart your hair into growth phase. You don't want to overwhelm things and expose yourself to side-effects at first. Slowy go from once a day to twice a day applications if once a day is not effective. If after about 6 months 2% isn't working for you, I suggest going to 5% (and if prop. glycol bugs you switch to a glycerin based 5% minox.).

Your hair is probably pretty healthy so it your chances of keeping it with a good regimen is pretty high.

Once you start, stick with it for at least six months. You don't have to be gungho about this.

Here are some extra things to try:
L-Arganine and L-Lysine supplements
Increase your EFA intake
Consider the Lasercomb (I am seriously considering it)

--Magneto

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:46 pm

Hello Camino and Welcome!

Magneto has answered your question well. What I am about to say may seem silly to you and I have no proof that this works, but I suggest improving upon your sleep as well (if you are not getting enough that is).

The reason I suggest this is because your body releases growth hormone when you get quality sleep, and while there is no evidence that growth hormone alone regrows hair in male pattern baldness (and I certainly do NOT recommend you take growth hormone supplements in any form as this can be dangerous) it has been shown that IGF-1 (related to growth hormone) is positively correlated with improved results from finasteride.

See the following link:

http://morphollica.com/?newsid=10

There are other options to just minoxidil (rogaine) and finasteride (propecia/proscar) but I agree with Magneto in that you should slowly work your way up (only if the suggested treatments don't work!).

Nice to have you on board and best regards!
Sam