My thoughts on hair multiplication

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

My thoughts on hair multiplication

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:54 pm

Just wrote this recent rant:

Hair Multiplication

What do you all think. Will it viable soon? If so, would you get one?

Regards,
Sam

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Tricia » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:02 am

I'm not sure if HM will be viable any time soon. I am glad to hear that good things are happening and moving in the right direction. Sounds funny, but I have a son with a wonderful head of hair. When I hear about HM, I think to myself that he might be able to keep that nice head of hair if they develop this technology. It's not for me. It's for him.

I'm still excited about some of the other things in the works....like hedgehog and OSH101. Drugs might turn out to be even better than HM (or good enough).

As for myself, I'm looking into faking my hair. I'm not at that point yet. But, when I get there, women have wonderful cosmetic options available to them. The hair systems can be more beautiful than your hair anyway. I know of some women who use bonded hair systems and their hair is gorgeous. You can't tell it's not growing from their head. I know guys are much more reluctant to use a hair system.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:09 pm

I don't keep up with transplanting and implanting etc......so that was a good read. I too think it'll take longer than they really are saying.

As for me getting one...thankfully I can wait a little longer if need be. I'm glad I started topicals when I did(even though I felt foolish doing so) and thankful for companies like Elsom Research and Lipoxidil.......and others that I've used. But it's nice to know other things can be done if things go south for me...as long as the price is reasonable...

hardcastle
Occasional Poster

Post by hardcastle » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:52 am

Like probably everyone else here, I would like to believe that HM is possible, hopefully within the timeframe that authorities on this (Washenik, Cooley, et al) are giving. If HM reached the safety and consistency of a good hair transplant, would I get one? Sure I would.

I've got my questions, though. This technology supposedly generates completey new follicles, rather than reactivating the ones we have; what happens to the old follicles? Are they removed? Do they disappear? I would only get a procedure like this if questions such as these were answered and I was positive beyond all reasonable doubt that safety concerns were minimal.

I think we'll know that HM is truly here when it becomes common for celebrities to have it done. Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and Jude Law are all in the same boat we are hairwise, and they're probably at least twice as anxious about hair loss as we are, since their looks are their careers. Look at it this way: hair loss blows, but at least most of us aren't being stalked by paparazzi and tabloids who gleefully speculate on our receding hairlines and distribute our photos across the entire planet.

In short: I can't imagine that the concentrated research and enormous public demand won't yield something in the way of advances. So I do think that HM is coming. What the timeframe will be, I don't know, but wherever hair technology is five to ten years from now, I'm positive that good progress will have been made. I'm keeping up hope.