Laser therapy for maintenance of hair grown with chemical treatment

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Hairisgoodforu
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Coal tar shampoo .5% (net concentration)
Clobetasol Propionate foam .05% (three days every two months)
Pyrithione zinc shampoo 1%

Laser therapy for maintenance of hair grown with chemical treatment

Post by Hairisgoodforu » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:46 pm

I have a simple question but I cant find the answer anywhere. SOMEONE KNOWS THE ANSWER!

From what I've learned recently, laser therapy (with the correct device and dosing) has a 90% success rate in maintaining the hair you already have, as well as decent success in growing some recently lost hair back. I also know that drugs such as minoxidil and finasteride have a high success rate in growing hair back where it has been lost, but must be continued to keep this hair.

My question is, after a year or so of minoxidil or finasteride treatment, can one have success discontinuing the medication and simply maintaining the hair with laser therapy? This seems to make sense, considering the high success rate of lllt in maintaining hair - an even higher success rate than either minoxidil or finasteride.

If this is not the case, and lllt will not maintain hair grown on these drugs, while still halting baldness, this illuminates a very interesting characteristic of the mechanism of action of these drugs.

Please comment your thoughts, Im sure there is no straightforward answer here. thanks for reading and good luck to everyone