About to start Finasteride, precautions.

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Gough
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

About to start Finasteride, precautions.

Post by Gough » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am

Hi everyone,
First time poster here.
Thinking about starting finasteride. I have a few questions first (I posted these on another forum, but there were so few views and no answers so I thought I'd try here)
I'd like to reduce the chances of side effects, and also, to reduce the chances of Reflex Hyperandrogenicity - I've come to understand that flooding the body with an anti-androgen can cause the body to compensate in the short term. (Has anybody experienced this phenomenon?) It seems the best way to minimise the chances of these two things happening is to begin taking fin at smaller doses, or to taper on. I was wondering for how long, and at what amounts should I begin? Halves, or even quarter doses? And for weeks or months?
Thanks

One more thing - I've come across a huge list of recommended blood test on propeciahelp.com If I had to choose just up to half a dozen, which would be the best?

Gough
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: About to start Finasteride, precautions.

Post by Gough » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 am

My understanding is that the shedding is just a result of the hair growth stages being synchronised due to the treatments? ie. When shedding occurs, there's more of it happening at once, but the overall loss over the long term is no greater than if one never took any treatments?