Electrical Stimulation for hair re-growth

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

bernhardrudert
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Electrical Stimulation for hair re-growth

Post by bernhardrudert » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:58 am

My name is Bernhard and I am the designer of two electrical stimulators addressing the problem of hair loss. I am an electronics engineer and therefore my contribution to the subject is of a practical nature even though I had to delve into the biological process enough in order to understand what I am doing. I believe that the technology is a very sound alternative to laser treatments. However, it is considerably more sophisticated and yet very affordable. I would be happy to discuss both laser devices and electrical stimulators and even other methods. My intention is to be helpful because I really feel for everyone who suffers from the very difficult condition of hair loss. Therefore I will be glad to share what I have learnt so far.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Electrical Stimulation for hair re-growth

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Hello Bernhard and welcome to Hairlossfight

As I was wondering in another thread about your device- http://www.newhairnewme.com/tesla-brush/ ...is the head/part that touches your scalp hard plastic or ? Does it actually massage/move?

There has been some talk of using various devices for/while applying topicals. Would your device make sense for such use- is there any evidence that it can help certain things penetrate deeper or make topicals "work better" for whatever reason? Or is it even safe to do so? (I'm assuming electrocution isn't going to be an issue...)

Violet Rays have become a bit popular again in these hair loss forums. How does your device work compared to a Violet Ray-in how it actually "runs" and what it does to your skin and follicles etc?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions 8)

bernhardrudert

Post by bernhardrudert » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 am

Good question, Jacob!
The operating principle behind the Teslabrush is twofold. Its main function is to stimulate the nervous system, which by a very complex biological process stimulates the body to remember its original condition and by the body's own intelligence trys to revert to that condition. In essence it is a healing process. But electrical stimulation also affects the mitochondria in the cells to produce more ATP which results in increased energy. It would be sensible to assume that the generated cellular energy would also be directed to the absorption of of topical substances. The experience so far has been that both these processes facillitate other treatment measures. The blood circulation is also improved by the above and this would further the absorption as well. The treatment with the Teslabrush is very gentle and it should be absolutely safe as far as I can understand. However, some people are alergic to all kinds of things. It could be that Minoxidil would become more itchy if used together with the Teslabrush.

The Violet Ray is the forefather of all electrical stimulators. Modern devices including the Teslabrush are derivatives of this initial idea of Nikola Tesla. Technological advances have refined today's electrically stimulating devices. The Teslabrush is using the most modern techniques to achieve its objective. The difference between the Vilolet Ray and the Teslabrush is twofold. First of all the Teslabrush uses no electrical contacts or wires to achieve its objective because it transmits the stimuli via an electric field. Therefore the device is extemely safe and can be used anywhere. Secondly the Teslabrush modulates its output in order for the nerves not to be able to get used to a repetitive pattern which generally reduces the long term effectiveness of the device. This is not possible with the Violet Ray and therefore the Teslabrush is more effective. An important issue is that the Violet Ray and its derivatives most of which are imported from China are not allowed to be sold because they violate regulatory requirements for safety and interference. If these devices get popular the authorities will get them off the market. The Teslabrush meets the very stringent requirements for medical devices and is manufactured in Canada. The device is meant for may years of use which cannot be said of the Violet Ray.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks for the response 8) If you could comment about the part that actually touches your scalp(I'm assuming it's not soft rubber), does it move at all or is the massaging done by the person using it? Do you have plans to go for "FDA approval"(or the Canadian equivalent) on being able to make any claims for it's use against hair loss?

bernhardrudert

Post by bernhardrudert » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Jacob. The device has 7 glass tubes with rounded ends embedded in silicon rubber. Glass is used because it does not react with the skin. The device is like a brush and you move it over the skin in a circular motion making sure that the seven glass tubes touch the skin as much as possible. The device puts out a sort of massaging stimulus but the probes are stationary. The device is under review by the FDA and I hope to get their approval by the end of next month. To me personally FDA clearance does not mean much except that it is a marketing tool. For example the Hairmax Laser comb has FDA clearance, but looking at the theory behind laser treatment the laser cap or some laser hoods should perform much better and have no FDA clearance. The problem is that FDA clearance does not tell us anything about relative effectiveness. Unfortunately with most health issues we have to try and see what works for us. In this line it is interesting to note for example how in homeopathic medicine an illness is treated with a great variety of remedies depending on the person and the condition under which the illness occurs.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Man how time flies. I've been meaning to ask 1) When you said earlier "This is not possible with the Violet Ray and therefore the Teslabrush is more effective." ...is that just a personal opinion/observation or is there something out there that shows that? And 2) Reading in other forums how ppl are using their violet rays..they seem to be only using them/needing to use them for 5 mins or so a day. Is that a typo or do you really need to use yours about 45 minutes a day? And if so, is it best to do it all in one sitting or can it be spread throughout the day? That's quite a bit of time to be holding that up- maybe you should sell some kind of stand for it in the near future 8)

Saw this posted elsewhere..maybe it's all on your website already: http://www.rife.de/healing-with-electricity.html

bernhardrudert

Post by bernhardrudert » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Thank you for asking Jacob! The problem with all electrical stimulation including the Violet Ray is that the nerves get used to the regular repeated stimulation. The nerves actually sort of anticipate the next stimulus. It is the same way we get used to certain amount of pain without feeling it as badly after a while. This is known as accommodation. The TESLABRUSH overcomes this by continuously changing the intensity of the stimuli so that the nerves cannot get used to the treatment. In this way the effect of the treatment is enhanced. The TESLABRUSH is controlled digitally. This is not possible with the other devices which operate on analog principles directly off the mains supply. We recommend that the device be used for about 10 minutes a day. It can be done in any position anywhere at any time. It is best done before sleeping because the stimulation has a calming effect and often produces better sleep. Also getting into the regular habit makes this little exercise practically automatic after about 3 weeks and does no longer interfere with our daily activities. Once results are showing we can reduce the number of treatments per week or the time per treatment. I hope this helps

cindy07
Regular Poster

Post by cindy07 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 am

The aim is to activate dormant hair follicles to encourage the growth of new hair.
These electrical pulses are emitted at a low frequency which means only a minimal penetration of the scalp. These pulses target the follicles but avoid damaging the tissues surrounding them which results in a safe and pain-free procedure.
If you are experiencing hair loss due to damaged or inactive hair follicles then electrical pulses will stimulate them into activity. The aim is to allow these follicles to heal before restarting hair growth as part of the normal hair growth/loss cycle.