How Hormones Secretly Affect Your Hair

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

How Hormones Secretly Affect Your Hair

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Have you ever stopped to wonder why your hair is a different texture than it was when you were a child? Or perhaps why one day it seems like your hair is falling out by the fistful and the next overgrowing? While many factors affect the health and texture of your hair (think humidity, stress-levels, chemical treatments, the sun), it's your hormones that actually have a lot to do with it.

"Hormone levels can affect the quality and the quantity of hair," says Miami dermatologist Dr. Janice Lima-Maribona. "The texture of hair is directly related by hormonal issues that relate to thyroid as well as estrogen and testosterone levels," she explains and that's why "hair can be brittle, lusterless and slow growing," during certain times of your life.

While your hair texture might not change on a month-to-month basis due to hormonal fluctuations of your cycle, there are certain life events that can cause a dramatic difference.

Taking hormonal birth control, for instance, changes some women's hair. "When we take birth control pills our bodies think that we are pregnant. We do not ovulate and the uterus lining is built up; getting ready for a fertilized egg to implant and start growing. Usually "the pill" makes our hair luscious, shiny and abundant. When we stop taking it, we may see a sudden loss of hair and a slow down of growth, as well as a decrease in the quality of the hair shaft," she says.

Dr. Lima-Maribona also says menopause changes hair. "Lack or decrease of hormones is like a lack of fertilizer to a plant. The decreased hormonal state will also affect the quality and the quantity of hair."

Basically, the environment in which hair grows well and in good health is usually one of nutritional abundance and balance, as well as during a balanced hormonal state. A good way to increase your estrogen levels when you do hit menopause is through a diet packed with plant sources of phytoestrogen that can be found in nuts and seeds, and berries rich in flavonoids like raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and pomegranates. It's also good to eat sources of plant protein such as those in soy products like soymilk, tofu and edamame.
http://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeau ... your-hair/

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Nanogen Scalproller
Nanogen VEGF serum
Nanogen Intervention for women
Shu Uemura Silk Bloom shampoo and conditioner
Shu Uemura Essence Absolue
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil
Funori Seaweed Hair powder
Omega 3 6 9+1 capsule of Evening primrose oil daily

Re: How Hormones Secretly Affect Your Hair

Post by Natasha26 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks for the article Jacob it is very interesting. Is there any topical that could enhance the balance of hormones on the scalp while we treat it internally?

I think plant stem cells do that job doesn't it?

Like the Peter Lamas serum, Phytolium4 and MD Scalp Essential. But these need to be applied on the scalp constantly or their effect falters after a while.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 am

Yes..the plant stem cells are supposed to help with that. I wonder if that pine pollen would too...will have to look into it later.

I'll probably throw the question out to Elsom and that Phytostem company...etc...see what things they come up with.

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am

Good idea. Everywhere I go in Mauritius, people, men and women, especially women, are complaining of hair loss.

It is like this new disease that has spread. I have a girlfriend who had gorgeous hair now has thinning, weak hair.

I hope technological advancement help us figure a definite solution but I have a feeling it is unlikely given the amount of money they are all making on our poor, thinning heads!

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi Jake75,

Thanks for the link. I will do a post on the current state of my hair soon but it continues to fall out a lot.

cousenblayla
Hair Loss Type: Cicatricial Alopecia

Post by cousenblayla » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I think hormones play an important role to hairloss. It is part of the genetics of a person and it's good if we can make our hormones more inclined to a healthy hair.

zevfstiphout

Post by zevfstiphout » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks for the info. Hope my hormones cooperate and give me better hair.

Kate Russell
Regular Poster

Post by Kate Russell » Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Informative indeed...! :-({|=

cindy07
Regular Poster

Post by cindy07 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

many factors affect the health and texture of your hair (think humidity, stress-levels, chemical treatments, the sun), it's your hormones that actually have a lot to do with it.
While your hair texture might not change on a month-to-month basis due to hormonal fluctuations of your cycle, there are certain life events that can cause a dramatic difference. Basically, the environment in which hair grows well and in good health is usually one of nutritional abundance and balance, as well as during a balanced hormonal state

rightsmith
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Treatment Regimen: Hair transplant in India | Punjab | Ludhiana

Post by rightsmith » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 am

The main reasons behind the hair loss problems is Due to hormonal diseases like Cancer, Typhoid and Pregnancy. The pregnancy is one of the main cause the hair loss problems, During the pregnancy periods women take the Birth pills in too excess amount. That's the main cause behind the hair loss problems.

beardfreak

Post by beardfreak » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:53 am

I THINK IT CAN BE DOWN TO A MYRIAD OF FACTORS CAN'T IT?

AlexieJ

Post by AlexieJ » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that post. My doctor told me that hormones can affect the quality of our hair. A friend of mine actually experienced such thing and its ridiculous in a way that due to her hormonal imbalance there are instances where she had a hair loss and she usually had very thin hair. Thank you for sharing the article.